• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is how I would roll; however, that isn't how any team other than Cleveland rolls. There is 0 chance any team goes into a season with Colt as a starting QB.

BUt it would have been much more exciting.

we could have

1. Drafted Allen alot higher than he went
2. used the #17 on who knows what.
3. Sucked ass on both sides of the ball just well enough to trade our two first rounders in 2018, plus our first from 2019 so we could trade up to the #2 spot and take the most over rated QB in the draft again.

Awesome plan dontcha think??

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side question on this... How come Dak get the old knob polish and sainted as a future elite QB, when Dallas went 13-3 playing one of the weakest schedules last year with one of the best ground games in the league.

But when Kirk won the Division on a weak schedule, its just proof that he really isnt that good??

Lol. Where have you seen that on this board? As far as I'm concerned Adam has plenty of work left to do before betting an "elite" LTD.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we could have

3. Sucked ass on both sides of the ball just well enough to trade our two first rounders in 2018, plus our first from 2019 so we could trade up to the #2 spot and take the most over rated QB in the draft again.

Oh, if I had done been in charge and made the trade, we would have been dead last. When I go big loser, I go all the way. I would have traded down with Chicago and probably would have traded down again if I could.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Where have you seen that on this board? As far as I'm concerned Adam has plenty of work left to do before betting an "elite" LTD.

Come on man, you really going to make me dig through the last 7000 posts and point out the numerous times people have either said out right or hinted that Kirk was actually out played by Dak, and why should we pay Kirk when Dallas found a rookie franchise QB in the 4th round??

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is as we stand now if we paid the 16 mil per season then we would have saved at least the 8 mil per season it will cost now . imagine having 8 mil per season in cap space

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is as we stand now if we paid the 16 mil per season then we would have saved at least the 8 mil per season it will cost now . imagine having 8 mil per season in cap space

Apparently $8M in cap space is a small price to pay if it means maintaining the ability to be players in the hey Darnold sweepstakes.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing multiple interceptions don't care if its practice or not this is definitely not what you want to hear from a QB who wants a big longterm deal

You'd care a whole lot more if this was week 2 of the reg season. This is what? A couple weeks into the initial practice for non-rookie players. This is what this time is for and w/o any context and not being a witness to either play. We have no clue as what went down. Maybe Kirk or Gruden were trying something different. Maybe Pryor said something to Kirk and they tried something.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, that is basically where he should have been at that point. He wasn't fully established and the only reliable guy below him was Stafford because Stafford was so far into his contract.

:pound:He wasn't fully established? Are you kidding me gk? RG3 wasnt either so why didn't we give him a LTD after his magical first season?? KC goes 9-7 for ONE year against a combined record of 51-77 (.662) and all of the sudden he is "Mr. Reliable"??

I get it, he had a nice year. But pump the brakes on 2015...

No one has STILL produced a preseason-2016 article article from someone legit (not inside the skins organization) who said we were bumbling fools for not giving KC a LTD after 2015. The overwhelming consensus is that the tag was the right move. All of you call the FO idiots, but its funny because probably most every GM in the NFL makes the same move.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:He wasn't fully established? Are you kidding me gk? RG3 wasnt either so why didn't we give him a LTD after his magical first season?? KC goes 9-7 for ONE year against a combined record of 51-77 (.662) and all of the sudden he is "Mr. Reliable"??

No one has STILL produced a preseason-2016 article article from someone legit (not inside the skins organization) who said we were bumbling fools for not giving KC a LTD after 2015. The overwhelming consensus is that the tag was the right move. All of you call the FO idiots, but its funny because probably most every GM in the NFL makes the same move.

Because it would have violated the CBA.

And you know i agree the tag was the safe move after 2015.

Right now, its doubling down on a pair of 8's when the dealer is showing a nine straight up.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man, you really going to make me dig through the last 7000 posts and point out the numerous times people have either said out right or hinted that Kirk was actually out played by Dak, and why should we pay Kirk when Dallas found a rookie franchise QB in the 4th round??

No..dont worry about digging, maybe I missed that. But I would be interested to know.

I'm just saying that annointing Dak as a "elite" QB right now would have been about as smart as saying the same about RG3 after his rookie season and Kirk after the 2014 or 2015 season.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now let me ask you this another way. Do you think KC would have been treated differently in his first three seasons had he been picked in RG3's slot? The obvious answer is yes.

Of course the answer is yes, but if KC was picked in RG3s slot and we gave up the farm to get him, he would have been starter Day 1 and he would have played 2 or 3 more years up to that point. Experience and success over a prolonged period of time accounts for something.

Cousins had every other team pass on him several times before we picked him AND he failed to win the starting job early, so thats noone else's fault but his. Is he a victim of circumstance? Yes. But guys like Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Steve Young had to wait their turn too.

Is it fair that his earning potential was effected by being drafted lower and not given a chance sooner in his rookie contract because so much was invested in that loser RG3?

Yes, it is fair. RG3 played lights out his rookie year, there was reason and hope from all Redskins fans after his rookie year. We ALL thought he could be great. Tough circumstances for KC, but it happens. Once again, look at other backups who have turned into starters. Have they asked for (or received) a blockbuster contract 2 years into their tenure as a starter with a .500 record??

While you may not believe he deserves top 5 money because he is not top 5 at this moment takes no consideration of the QB market. The market drives the contracts, not the ranking.

Well, If you want to believe that, then so be it. Once again experience, body of work, winning when it matters counts for more than being in the right place at the right time, at least IMO. Leading up to the '16, KCs body of work was incomplete, at best. He still has things to prove and he hasnt done enough to warrant a huge contract. But he will get it, and I truly hope it works out for us. Just my take.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it would have violated the CBA.

And you know i agree the tag was the safe move after 2015.

Right now, its doubling down on a pair of 8's when the dealer is showing a nine straight up.

I know, I get it. My point was, our organization (or any organization for that matter) would not have done that, even if they could have. Not after one year of good work.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well this is the thing . he had more time in then many other qbs who got big contracts before they were established and paying the guy the 23 highest salary at qb hardly qualifies as an overpay

now you know what , i was one of the wait and see people too but i also understood if he proved it that it would cause an overpay to keep him
its simple they gambled , they lost now man up and pay the piper

the thing is i didnt move the goal posts , he repeated his performance so it wasnt a fluke and if you were a prove it guy then why are you wanting to see something else ?

now again , the question that eludes everyone advocating moving on , who do we get to replace him ? who is better and is available ? give me a name which qbs are available in the next draft that you can live with ?

and what cost in draft picks are you willing to give up to get them ?

and how long will that rookie take to make us viable contenders ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the answer is yes, but if KC was picked in RG3s slot and we gave up the farm to get him, he would have been starter Day 1 and he would have played 2 or 3 more years up to that point. Experience and success over a prolonged period of time accounts for something.

Cousins had every other team pass on him several times before we picked him AND he failed to win the starting job early, so thats noone else's fault but his. Is he a victim of circumstance? Yes. But guys like Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Steve Young had to wait their turn too.

Yes, it is fair. RG3 played lights out his rookie year, there was reason and hope from all Redskins fans after his rookie year. We ALL thought he could be great. Tough circumstances for KC, but it happens. Once again, look at other backups who have turned into starters. Have they asked for (or received) a blockbuster contract 2 years into their tenure as a starter with a .500 record??

Well, If you want to believe that, then so be it. Once again experience, body of work, winning when it matters counts for more than being in the right place at the right time, at least IMO. Leading up to the '16, KCs body of work was incomplete, at best. He still has things to prove and he hasnt done enough to warrant a huge contract. But he will get it, and I truly hope it works out for us. Just my take.
if ypou are atop 70 football player in the NFL i dont think incomplete is a grade you can fairly give

VT_Antzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not in anyone's best interest to overpay him until he wins a playoff game. Why are you all so adamantly defending the guy who met his pants against the giants in the last game of the year an must win situation. Frankly that is not how I want my qb to play over the next 5 years.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not in anyone's best interest to overpay him until he wins a playoff game. Why are you all so adamantly defending the guy who met his pants against the giants in the last game of the year an must win situation. Frankly that is not how I want my qb to play over the next 5 years.
Fair enough. What's your alternative? Who should be our QB in 2018?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd care a whole lot more if this was week 2 of the reg season. This is what? A couple weeks into the initial practice for non-rookie players. This is what this time is for and w/o any context and not being a witness to either play. We have no clue as what went down. Maybe Kirk or Gruden were trying something different. Maybe Pryor said something to Kirk and they tried something.
That is exactly what happened on the first INT. The second INT, Doctson ran the wrong pattern. KC threw an out and Doctson ran a curl in......oops. that happens with new WRs and early in the preseason. Why there is even a thread on this, I have no idea.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perine ran 1 yard then got tackled in practice what a waste of pick next rb up

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we could have

thats not a bad idea

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What did the rest of the Redskins go while Cousin's went 51-77? Are you tell me they were a 77-51 team if Cousin's had been better?