• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds Thread

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? 2 of 3, and 4 of 6, and the last 31 series at Stl we are 3-26-2. We are still their bitches, and evidently nobody in the organization has any pride to give a fuck about it.

Thank you sir! May I have another?

Where is this woman when you need her?

220px-Marge_Schott.jpg

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going to the game Sunday, not my idea though.

I hope the kids start freaking out and we have to leave early.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds are now 0-3 in Johnny Cueto's starts, even though he has only given up 4 runs in 21 innings in those starts.

Nice...................

UDFlyers90

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds fucking suck! I have my company's suite for the game tomorrow. I hope I don't lose business by inviting my clients to watch this train wreck. At least the weather will be good. I'd better have them unlock the liquor cabinet. Worst record in baseball. Pathetic.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another quality start wasted by our anemic "hitting". Shut out again.:gaah:

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devin Mesoraco needs to hit cleanup.

Now........................

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twelve runs today. Now they'll probably get shut out the next three games.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another outstanding outing by Homer Bailey.

The guy is flat-out getting it done.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 homeruns in a game that won't finish.... At least tonight.

Crazy.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is either still favoring his groin or the injury has caused mechanical issues.

He is still K'ing guys, and isn't giving up a ton of walks (I don't think), but his FB seems to not be going where he wants it to go, often cutting across the middle. That to me tells me that either his groin is still bothering him, or his mechanics are out of whack...either way, the pitching coach needs to be on point with this.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is either still favoring his groin or the injury has caused mechanical issues.

He is still K'ing guys, and isn't giving up a ton of walks (I don't think), but his FB seems to not be going where he wants it to go, often cutting across the middle. That to me tells me that either his groin is still bothering him, or his mechanics are out of whack...either way, the pitching coach needs to be on point with this.

I believe it's mental. He appears tentative to drive off his back leg, and that is costing him both velocity and command. He's been wild in the strike zone, and fat pitches at 93 are going to be clobbered by big league hitters. Most of his strikeouts are coming on breaking pitches and splitters, with less coming on the high fastball he can throw at 96-97 when he is physically and mentally right. Brantley spotted it on tv last night, saying that he's not getting the leg drive power pitchers need.

Whatever it is he needs to get it together immediately.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it's mental. He appears tentative to drive off his back leg, and that is costing him both velocity and command. He's been wild in the strike zone, and fat pitches at 93 are going to be clobbered by big league hitters. Most of his strikeouts are coming on breaking pitches and splitters, with less coming on the high fastball he can throw at 96-97 when he is physically and mentally right. Brantley spotted it on tv last night, saying that he's not getting the leg drive power pitchers need.

Whatever it is he needs to get it together immediately.

Another interesting fact:

From last year to this year:

% of splitters - 13% of pitches last year.
% of splitters - 4% of pitches this year.

% of Fastballs - 47% last year.
% of Fastballs - 58% this year.

Another thing he could change a bit is, and this will go on Meso some as well, is that hitters are hitting the FB a bit more because he's not keeping them off balance enough with that splitter.

Agreed on not driving off. He's been 93-95 but he can get 95-97 pretty consistently when he's really driving the ball. Not seen a lot of that so far.

Final interesting note with his groin...All 3 games have been bad weather games, I believe. Could be aiding in his mental approach with pushing off/groin.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kramer would just say he sucks........

It's the most obvious explanation.

Homer has his moments.... And he has loads of talent..... But at this point in his career, with his talent and experience (and paycheck), shouldn't he be more than a 3rd or 4th starter?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Homer has his moments.... And he has loads of talent..... But at this point in his career, with his talent and experience (and paycheck), shouldn't he be more than a 3rd or 4th starter?

Teams like the Reds have to use past markers to decide on whether to spend money on guys like Homer. The past 3 years all of his stats have improved from ERAd, BB, K, WHIP, etc..etc...So, when his contract was basically up, they have to decide. Teams like the Yankees/Boston/LA can just wait for those same small market teams to let a pitcher test F/A because of the $$$ involved and then just overpay/out bid everyone with little fear of what happens if that guy sucks because they'll just throw more money at the problem until it's fixed.

Ironically, in about 2-3 years, even if he's still a 3, he'll be priced just about right. It's just the going rate for pitching if you want to keep guys who are young and have had past success with signs of improvement year over year. Pitching is always king, and you have to pay to get, or pay to keep.

Also, after 2015, the Reds are currently faced with losing Cueto, Leake, and Latos. They have 1 pitcher right now who could be an impact at the MLB level, Stephensen. Corcino has regressed BIG TIME, and is struggling again at AA this year after sucking all of last year wherever he was at. Big blow because many had him rated higher than Cingrani through their minor league careers.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe Homer will turn it around. I'm just not sure how much good it will do this year, though the offense seems to have come to life the last three games.