• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds Thread

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. Injuries suck and it probably sunk the season. That said, there is always something with this franchise. Maybe it's the nature of the game when you are in a small market and on tight margins..... Everything has to align to be good. But, I think there are larger, more systemic issues with the franchise. The tradition has always been there. The love affair the city of Cincinnati has with summer baseball is really multigenerational and deep within the city. A good comp is St. Louis - Probably more of an extreme example because that town absolutely loves baseball. But their franchise works at it. They have lean years but they do not last. The Reds just never seem to get it together..... And I think they've had owners that take the city's love of the game for granted.
I don't disagree there at all. Since '95 and then into the last 90's early 00's when payroll really started to skyrocket and the Reds market just didn't support staying in that race, they've struggled.

The Reds will make money. Ownership needs to put a premium product on the field, and that likely means taking a few years of lesser profit to pay guys. The Reds owners have always, since Marge, been afraid to do this. For all of Marge's faults, and there were many, she got what was needed to put winners on the field. You paid the price up front, and reaped on the backend.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Rece Hinds can hit a baseball far.

Will it last? No clue. Pitchers will adjust - and he has a very high swing/miss ratio in the minors. But if he can tweak a few things like Elly has done, whoa.....