• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rebuilding The Defense = Fallacy

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their pass rush is fine *now*, never mind if everyone was healthy. 10th in the league in sacks. It's not exceptional, but they lost both starting DTs and are still top 10 in that category.

You're making too much of this. Yes, the defense is bad. I don't know how many teams are going to lose two all pro defenders plus another starting DL plus a starting safety plus a starting corner and be ok... not many, if any. But they're not the worst defense in the league, not by a long shot. They have specific weaknesses - they can't stop the run unless they sell out, which leaves them vulnerable. There are teams that are going to gash them (hope it isn't the Seahawks in the SB if they get there) and teams where this isn't that big a deal (Denver, where they allowed only 14 points to one of the highest powered offenses *ever* discounting points off ugly turnovers committed by the offense). It's a flaw, and it might be enough to sink them this year. But they have a defense which, if healthy next year and they can sign a couple key players, should be top 5 easily.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woodhead was let go because vereen is better.

You guys really and consistently underestimate the complexity of this offense. You don't jump right in and start. It takes time getting worked in to learn it.

Woodhead was let go because Vereen will be better.
Woodhead was also let go because we were trying to get away from the "Munchkin" syndrome. We were getting manhandled in the playoffs because we were small. Fast, successful, but small. Vereen is going to be a very good one.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Belichick needs to study at the Pete Carroll School of Defensive Architectural Design

Carroll has been with the Seahawks since 2010 and Belichick has been rebuilding the Patriots defense since 2009

The truth is the truth and the genius ain't been getting it done.

One HC assembled fast tough athletes that are "football players" and the other did not. End of story and the excuses Patriots fans make for Belichick.

I won't insult Earl Thomas by comparing him to McCourty...that's what a real top shelf FS looks like Patriot fans. Don't argue about Thomas being a top 15 pick...sure McCourty was taken @ 27 overall but the fact is...one HC selected a player to play safety and the other reached for a player that failed as a corner and had to be moved to safety. He should be a lesser player and he is...in fact a case can be made that he's not much better than his twin brother who was taken in the 6th round. As far as Pro Bowl voting goes...it's a well known fact that winning teams get the accolades and that fact has a lot to do with the impression fans have of McCourty.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it funny that when BB called McCourty to tell him he was picked, they had to wait cause he was in the bathroom and never ever thought he was going in the 1st rd. LOL...that story just sticks in my head.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it funny that when BB called McCourty to tell him he was picked, they had to wait cause he was in the bathroom and never ever thought he was going in the 1st rd. LOL...that story just sticks in my head.

LOL! McCourty, Tavon Wilson and Harmon can all have a good laugh together on the way to the bank.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Belichick needs to study at the Pete Carroll School of Defensive Architectural Design

What's that, sign a bunch of players who are juicing and have a great defense til they all get caught? Because practically their whole secondary has been caught already.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's that, sign a bunch of players who are juicing and have a great defense til they all get caught? Because practically their whole secondary has been caught already.

You're right, the Pats should sign more serial killers.

You can keep the slow-footed, reaches and castoffs, I'll take the Seahawks D over the Pats D any day.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woodhead was let go because Vereen will be better.
Woodhead was also let go because we were trying to get away from the "Munchkin" syndrome. We were getting manhandled in the playoffs because we were small. Fast, successful, but small. Vereen is going to be a very good one.

Vereen was a better player last year.

I takes time to be fully integrated into our offense. This is why woodhead had more touches, and the only reason. Woodhead is not a good player.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carroll has been with the Seahawks since 2010 and Belichick has been rebuilding the Patriots defense since 2009

The truth is the truth and the genius ain't been getting it done.

One HC assembled fast tough athletes that are "football players" and the other did not. End of story and the excuses Patriots fans make for Belichick.

I won't insult Earl Thomas by comparing him to McCourty...that's what a real top shelf FS looks like Patriot fans. Don't argue about Thomas being a top 15 pick...sure McCourty was taken @ 27 overall but the fact is...one HC selected a player to play safety and the other reached for a player that failed as a corner and had to be moved to safety. He should be a lesser player and he is...in fact a case can be made that he's not much better than his twin brother who was taken in the 6th round. As far as Pro Bowl voting goes...it's a well known fact that winning teams get the accolades and that fact has a lot to do with the impression fans have of McCourty.

We've already done this. Carroll's job isn't more impressive; I'm not repeating the same discussion we've already had.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've already done this. Carroll's job isn't more impressive; I'm not repeating the same discussion we've already had.

...and you failed in that discussion.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vereen was a better player last year.

I takes time to be fully integrated into our offense. This is why woodhead had more touches, and the only reason. Woodhead is not a good player.

LOL! Dobson has the best hands on the team too according to your eye for talent.

Patriots running back Danny Woodhead had a 15-yard rushing touchdown and an 18-yard receiving touchdown Sunday against the Bills, and that has Tom Brady thankful to have Woodhead as a teammate. And thankful for the division rival that made Woodhead available.
Brady said on WEEI that he recognized Woodhead’s talent as soon as Woodhead arrived in New England, and he’s surprised that the Jets, Woodhead’s previous team, let him go.
“I remember his first game,” Brady said. “We kind of joked on the sideline, [former Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien] and I, we kind of said, ‘The legend is born.’ We saw him that week in practice, what he was capable of doing, and said, :"Why did the Jets release this guy", They had him playing receiver and he was a running back in college.”
“He’s just come in and done such a great job,” Brady said. “He’s the ultimate team player and teammate — dependable, consistent, you always know the level of play you’re getting from Danny. He had a huge game yesterday for us. We really needed it, because as an offense, I’d say everyone really didn’t have their best day but Danny. He really saved the day for us.”

It must be such a luxury for the Pats to let a player like Vereen sit and learn behind a player that's not very good according to you. I bet that's really getting great value for the 56th overall pick in the draft which Vereen was.

In reality Sherlock, Woodhead earned the PT... unless you think Belichick is a liar when he says "the best players play."

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learning the offense is part of the requirement to play. Vereen hadn't yet. It takes time, period.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learning the offense is part of the requirement to play. Vereen hadn't yet. It takes time, period.

LOL! You're like the gift that keeps on giving.

Woodhead was picked up by the Pats after the first game of the 2010 season

His carry totals in games two through sixteen that year: 3-8-11-8-6-9-4-7-8-2-7-9-13-2

Vereen didn't reach eleven carries in a single game until week 11 of 2012 and only had more than 13 carries once in his career and that came in the first game this year when he had 14 carries.

Woodhead blows him away in receptions too.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bill Belichick, according to some, has been rebuilding the Patriots championship defense since 2009
Pete Carroll arrived in Seattle a year later in 2010

I think it's interesting to look at both defenses since 2010 when Belichick had a year's head start:

Rank in total yards:
2010 Seattle 27th -- Pats 25th
2011 Seattle 9th -- Pats 31st
2012 Seattle 4th -- Pats 25th
2013 Seattle 1st -- Pats 20th

Points are the more important stat than yards?
2010 Seattle 407 -- Pats 313
2011 Seattle 315 -- Pats 342
2012 Seattle 245 -- Pats 331
2013 Seattle 186 -- Pats 261 through 12 games

I see a clear trend regarding the HC that has done the better job building a defense.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I have to say is thank god the offense is stepping it up because the defense is slipping!

Look at the Texans game... as soon as the Patriots scored the Texans marched right down the field and scored

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense was the reason we survived the first 8 games until the offense was rebuilt. On Sunday they were playing with 5 rookies Vellano, C Jones, Ryan, Collins, and Harmon along with multiple second year players. At one time they played 6 rookies because of injuries. They have nobody on that defense that I would take over Chandler Jones. Atlib was playing on one leg as was Arrington and even Coles but they made two big stops at the end of the game when it counted.

Gte mad a t BB for the offense being screwed up but please spare me the 20-20 hindsight of your limited football knowledge. Just as a reminder the Seahawks have not won a damn thing yet and somehow Carroll and his GM are genius level? They are already over the CAP for next year and they have big money guys to re-up over the next 2 years. Lets see them build a consistent winner like B B has and rattle off 13 straight winning seasons.

By the way I fully expect to receive the why are you not washing dishes or doing cloths like a good girl from you TKO but then again you are a loser. Go join the Sea chicken fan boys and please just stop the whining and complaining for once. The next constructive thing you say will be the first.

Check the sea chicken overall draft record over the last 4 years and look where they drafted and where Pats drafted. They have blown multiple high round picks just like the Pats.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stay away from personal attacks.

09boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you JDM you can attack about someone football knowledge we all have opinion but anything else is rude.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rehone can't help herself. That aside...It appears she totally missed the point of the OP which was about building a defense over the last four years.

Address this next time Rehone:

Rank in total yards:
2010 Seattle 27th -- Pats 25th
2011 Seattle 9th -- Pats 31st
2012 Seattle 4th -- Pats 25th
2013 Seattle 1st -- Pats 20th through 12 games

Points are the more important stat than yards?
2010 Seattle 407 -- Pats 313
2011 Seattle 315 -- Pats 342
2012 Seattle 245 -- Pats 331
2013 Seattle 186 -- Pats 261 through 12 games

Despite multiple players added to the defense, the Pats have remained virtually flat while the Seahawks have gotten better each year and are the best unit in the league so far this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh please spare me that crap. That jerk has personally attacked me every time I have commented on this pathetic site and you know it. It is why I stay away and will stay away. You allow vulgar titles and krafty who is TKO can call anyone anything he wants and has to me when I once commented here.