• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ravens release drunken Bernard Peirce

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think they would cut Suggs, J.Smith, Yanda or Joe the same way?
I'd bet $100 to a donut that none of them would be cut that quick, no matter of the warning, they are too important to the teams success and they would be in cap debt up to their eyebrows if they did......Except for Jimmy, but he is vital to the secondary.
It's clear partiality and and PR smoke and mirrors.....

I get that. Probably a big name player doesn't get cut in this situation but at this point what this guy brought to the team compared to the PR mess that this is it just makes sense to let him go and send a positive message about the team to the media while also sending a strong message to the rest of the team.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. Probably a big name player doesn't get cut in this situation but at this point what this guy brought to the team compared to the PR mess that this is it just makes sense to let him go and send a positive message about the team to the media while also sending a strong message to the rest of the team.

That's not fair to the player, who although he made a mistake, has a family and their provider just got the book thrown at him for that 1 and only mistake, while others get a slap on the wrist and told to stop it.....
They made a bargain statement, that's all.....It didn't cost them nothing to play the good guy in this one, like Rice and therin lies their motive IMO......

Last edited:

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It also shows that the team has full confidence in Forsett and that the Ravens organization will not stand for felonious actions.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not fair to the player, who although he made a mistake, has a family and their provider just got the book thrown at him for that 1 and only mistake, while others get a slap on the wrist and told to stop it.....
They made a bargain statement, that's all.....It didn't cost them nothing to play the good guy in this one, like Rice and therin lies their motive IMO......

That is the right of the team though. I have never had a DUI in my life but I can about guarantee that if I got one my job would fire me the next day as well. See this is what a company has to weigh...the bottom line. Does what this employee has done end up costing us more of a headache than what they are actually worth to the company? So a guy like Suggs going out and getting a DUI he still offers a lot to the company even with that bad check against him. At this point Pearce does not. And yes that doesn't seem fair but that is the business world we live in. He had every opportunity to not make this mistake and obviously he knew the consequences of his actions by knowing he would be cut the next day. So again hard to feel bad for this guy. He really only has himself to blame in this moment and will have to answer to his family for his actions...not the Ravens. If my kid when she gets older goes out and gets drunk and then decides to drive home that way and gets pulled over then I am not going to blame her job if she gets fired or the police for doing their job as she I am hoping when she reaches that age would know better. She will know the consequences of such actions.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the right of the team though. I have never had a DUI in my life but I can about guarantee that if I got one my job would fire me the next day as well. See this is what a company has to weigh...the bottom line. Does what this employee has done end up costing us more of a headache than what they are actually worth to the company? So a guy like Suggs going out and getting a DUI he still offers a lot to the company even with that bad check against him. At this point Pearce does not. And yes that doesn't seem fair but that is the business world we live in. He had every opportunity to not make this mistake and obviously he knew the consequences of his actions by knowing he would be cut the next day. So again hard to feel bad for this guy. He really only has himself to blame in this moment and will have to answer to his family for his actions...not the Ravens. If my kid when she gets older goes out and gets drunk and then decides to drive home that way and gets pulled over then I am not going to blame her job if she gets fired or the police for doing their job as she I am hoping when she reaches that age would know better. She will know the consequences of such actions.

My problem is that they are acting like a bunch of Dudley Do Rights when in reality, he just wasn't important to the team so they used him as a PR pawn......
Yes he was stupid for doing it, especially knowing how running scared the league is right now, but have you ever known drunk people to make good decisions ?????......I haven't drank alcohol in about 30 yrs now but I drove many times drinking as did most people of my era, not saying it's good, but I never hurt anybody while doing it.....
And I don't think most normal jobs give a frog burp about what you do on your time and do not fire people for a DUI or such as long as it's not happening on their time or effecting your job performance.....
I spent over 30 yrs in business, and I can't recall 1 person ever being fired for that except on the job violations...
If the Ravens would tell the truth they'd say, we were gonna cut him anyway and this was the perfect opportunity to do it.......But they used it to help their image while doing extra damage to his future in the NFL..
Not cool !!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is that they are acting like a bunch of Dudley Do Rights when in reality, he just wasn't important to the team so they used him as a PR pawn......
Yes he was stupid for doing it, especially knowing how running scared the league is right now, but have you ever known drunk people to make good decisions ?????......I haven't drank alcohol in about 30 yrs now but I drove many times drinking as did most people of my era, not saying it's good, but I never hurt anybody while doing it.....
And I don't think most normal jobs give a frog burp about what you do on your time and do not fire people for a DUI or such as long as it's not happening on their time or effecting your job performance.....
I spent over 30 yrs in business, and I can't recall 1 person ever being fired for that except on the job violations...
If the Ravens would tell the truth they'd say, we were gonna cut him anyway and this was the perfect opportunity to do it.......But they used it to help their image while doing extra damage to his future in the NFL..
Not cool !!

Well we have worked in very different fields then. I would most definitely be fired and I have known plenty who have gotten fired. Heck the Broncos fired a guy just 2 years ago for DUI from the FO.

Now yes you are right using Pierce as a PR piece is kind of a low blow, but hey if the guy is going to struggle to make the team anyway why not try to send a strong message throughout the whole organization? Plus in reality this is giving Pierce the best shot to make another team. He gets a chance to go interview with other teams before the draft and has almost the entire off season to find a team. Otherwise he is possibly going to training camp and being found to be too expensive for his services and cut. I don't know what his cap hit and don't care to look it up but this actually is at least if he wasn't going to make the team the better chance for him.

As for the driving home drunk thing. 30 years ago was a very different world. I'm not even 30 years old right now so my college days and drinking were not too long ago. Yes I had friends who drove home drunk every once in a while but I also had plenty of friends who planned ahead and had cab numbers ready for when they were ready to go home. We also were big on having the designated driver if that is the way we decided to go. People are either complete idiots when it comes to drinking and driving or they work hard to plan ahead these days. Those that paid attention in high school to all the drunk driving videos play it safe. You are going to have it both ways but I would think NFL players would be at least able to dial a number that my guess is saved in their phones and say pick me up. Heck they could be more proactive and just have a cab drop them off at the bars instead of driving their vehicle when they know they are going to drink heavily. They were sober when they made the decision to drive down to the bars knowing full well that means they would be driving home drunk. He made his decision sober not drunk in my opinion.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have worked in very different fields then. I would most definitely be fired and I have known plenty who have gotten fired. Heck the Broncos fired a guy just 2 years ago for DUI from the FO.

Now yes you are right using Pierce as a PR piece is kind of a low blow, but hey if the guy is going to struggle to make the team anyway why not try to send a strong message throughout the whole organization? Plus in reality this is giving Pierce the best shot to make another team. He gets a chance to go interview with other teams before the draft and has almost the entire off season to find a team. Otherwise he is possibly going to training camp and being found to be too expensive for his services and cut. I don't know what his cap hit and don't care to look it up but this actually is at least if he wasn't going to make the team the better chance for him.

As for the driving home drunk thing. 30 years ago was a very different world. I'm not even 30 years old right now so my college days and drinking were not too long ago. Yes I had friends who drove home drunk every once in a while but I also had plenty of friends who planned ahead and had cab numbers ready for when they were ready to go home. We also were big on having the designated driver if that is the way we decided to go. People are either complete idiots when it comes to drinking and driving or they work hard to plan ahead these days. Those that paid attention in high school to all the drunk driving videos play it safe. You are going to have it both ways but I would think NFL players would be at least able to dial a number that my guess is saved in their phones and say pick me up. Heck they could be more proactive and just have a cab drop them off at the bars instead of driving their vehicle when they know they are going to drink heavily. They were sober when they made the decision to drive down to the bars knowing full well that means they would be driving home drunk. He made his decision sober not drunk in my opinion.

Well stupidity is never a viable excuse, but it is a very prevalent reality !!:nod:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well stupidity is never a viable excuse, but it is a very prevalent reality !!:nod:

My dad always said that I have the right to be an idiot. He also said that the world had the right to punish me however it saw fit for my idiocy. So while I'm not big on letting one mistake ruin a young person's life (he already found work with another team) there still have to be some kind of consequences. Too many of these guys do just get the slap on the wrist and don't do it again and why the NFL thinks that will work is just beyond me.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad always said that I have the right to be an idiot. He also said that the world had the right to punish me however it saw fit for my idiocy. So while I'm not big on letting one mistake ruin a young person's life (he already found work with another team) there still have to be some kind of consequences. Too many of these guys do just get the slap on the wrist and don't do it again and why the NFL thinks that will work is just beyond me.

I hear you, Pops sounds like a pretty smart man....

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as was said

the league offers a free car service. call, car comes, they drive you home.

id love that as a regular guy out on the town.

a free car service at my beck and call?

I find this hilarious btw. Yeah...that's why NFL players drive drunk...they can't afford an Uber ride. :L

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find this hilarious btw. Yeah...that's why NFL players drive drunk...they can't afford an Uber ride. :L

I understand this but at least the NFL is trying to help these guys out as much as possible. You can lead the horse to water but they still have to choose to drink. The fact that these guys take their vehicles to the bars in the first place is what gets me. Take a cab or call the service to take you down there. You already know if you are taking your vehicle down to the bars that you are planning on driving home drunk. You have already decided you are an idiot.