• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ravens release drunken Bernard Peirce

shabazz916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me its sad how players get dui's like really call a cab man... its not like you dnt have the money...

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand this but at least the NFL is trying to help these guys out as much as possible. You can lead the horse to water but they still have to choose to drink. The fact that these guys take their vehicles to the bars in the first place is what gets me. Take a cab or call the service to take you down there. You already know if you are taking your vehicle down to the bars that you are planning on driving home drunk. You have already decided you are an idiot.

It's not a budget issue. These guys can pay for Uber (they can even get $20 off their first ride once they open an account). You can give them credit for trying if you like, but it shows they have no clue what the actual issue is.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a budget issue. These guys can pay for Uber (they can even get $20 off their first ride once they open an account). You can give them credit for trying if you like, but it shows they have no clue what the actual issue is.

How do you correct the issue though? You can't take away their keys, you can't force them to do breathalyzer tests before they start their vehicle, and you can't completely treat them like little children. All you can do is provide them with safe alternatives and hope that they choose it. They are the adults that have to make the decision whether to actually make good decisions or not. So at this point essentially give them the choices and then tell them of the consequences of their actions and hope that scares them straight. I really don't see much more that the NFL could do in this situation.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you correct the issue though? You can't take away their keys, you can't force them to do breathalyzer tests before they start their vehicle, and you can't completely treat them like little children. All you can do is provide them with safe alternatives and hope that they choose it. They are the adults that have to make the decision whether to actually make good decisions or not. So at this point essentially give them the choices and then tell them of the consequences of their actions and hope that scares them straight. I really don't see much more that the NFL could do in this situation.

This isn't just an NFL issue. How do we correct it as a country??? Honestly...you get caught driving under the influence in other countries, you lose your privilege to drive forever. I don't know about you, but I'm good with that here. What can the NFL do? If players are caught driving under the influence, they lose their privilege to play in the NFL forever. Instead...Bernard Pierce is picked up with Jax not even a week after being released...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't just an NFL issue. How do we correct it as a country??? Honestly...you get caught driving under the influence in other countries, you lose your privilege to drive forever. I don't know about you, but I'm good with that here. What can the NFL do? If players are caught driving under the influence, they lose their privilege to play in the NFL forever. Instead...Bernard Pierce is picked up with Jax not even a week after being released...

Well I agree with that. There need to be stiffer penalties. I wouldn't go so far as to take the license away forever but they do need to step up what happens especially after the first one because I have a cousin and uncle both that have had 5 or so each and yet still have a license. They have shown they could care less about getting the fine and even the little bit of jail time. I'm guessing taking the license away forever might not even be enough to stop the worst of the worst but maybe those who have the 1 strike knowing the next one gets the license taken away forever would do everything possible to stop it.

As for the NFL yeah they could step up the penalties for sure of what happens. Maybe first time offense is a 6-game suspension, the next 1-year, and then out of the league for good. Then we are talking about millions of dollars even with the first offense. Hopefully that is a wake up call. Maybe even move up that the 2nd time it happens they are kicked out of the league for good.

Right now you are right the fact that Pierce already has a new team and probably won't suffer many consequences than a slap on the wrist and a speech about life choices doesn't really do much to stop him from doing it again.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he really just wanted out of Baltimore?????

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I agree with that. There need to be stiffer penalties. I wouldn't go so far as to take the license away forever but they do need to step up what happens especially after the first one because I have a cousin and uncle both that have had 5 or so each and yet still have a license. They have shown they could care less about getting the fine and even the little bit of jail time. I'm guessing taking the license away forever might not even be enough to stop the worst of the worst but maybe those who have the 1 strike knowing the next one gets the license taken away forever would do everything possible to stop it.

As for the NFL yeah they could step up the penalties for sure of what happens. Maybe first time offense is a 6-game suspension, the next 1-year, and then out of the league for good. Then we are talking about millions of dollars even with the first offense. Hopefully that is a wake up call. Maybe even move up that the 2nd time it happens they are kicked out of the league for good.

Right now you are right the fact that Pierce already has a new team and probably won't suffer many consequences than a slap on the wrist and a speech about life choices doesn't really do much to stop him from doing it again.

I don't know about Colorado, but here in the state of Washington it seems to me that the penalties are stiff enough. Have two beers and get pulled over, your world just turned to shit. Mind you I'm not talking about personal experience. I've never had a DUI ever or a ticket for anything in a couple of decades. The fines start at a $1000 and can go as high as $5000. Add lawyers fees, paying for safe driving school which cost a bundle, high risk insurance, loss wages. Of course the answer is don't have those two beers before you get in a car.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to take a deeper look into all distracted driving. I'll take the career drunk crawling home from the pub like he has for the past twenty years over the sober 17 year old girl putting on make-up and texting. You can be legally drunk and still pay attention to the road, you cannot text and pay attention to the road even sober.

Hammered driving is a whole other ball game but .08 with challenges in some States to try to get to .05 is ridiculous. May as well close all bars. How about drive-thru food windows? We've all been distracted setting out our fries and drink. There doesn't seem to be a fair assessment of impact of all of these things. Popped at .08 mid day on a rural 35mph 'cause a tail light is out is worlds away from getting snagged doing 90mph on a busy highway and blowing 1.8 yet they're both reported as DUIs.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to take a deeper look into all distracted driving. I'll take the career drunk crawling home from the pub like he has for the past twenty years over the sober 17 year old girl putting on make-up and texting. You can be legally drunk and still pay attention to the road, you cannot text and pay attention to the road even sober.

Hammered driving is a whole other ball game but .08 with challenges in some States to try to get to .05 is ridiculous. May as well close all bars. How about drive-thru food windows? We've all been distracted setting out our fries and drink. There doesn't seem to be a fair assessment of impact of all of these things. Popped at .08 mid day on a rural 35mph 'cause a tail light is out is worlds away from getting snagged doing 90mph on a busy highway and blowing 1.8 yet they're both reported as DUIs.

I so agree. The standard for what is drunk driving is set so that even two beers in one hour will make you fail a breath test. Some in the police force find that just pulling over anyone leaving a bar will usual result in handing out a DUI. So they follow drivers leaving a bar and then look for a reason to pull them over. I had a co worker get nailed like this and when he went to court , he found out every person there was pulled over by the same cop in the same way on the same day. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he really just wanted out of Baltimore?????

Yea, everyone wants to play for Jacksonville, he hit the mother load !! :rolleyes2:
I'm surprised that Revis didn't go there while burning rubber out of NE......Go figure !

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about letting him go but, I think it's ludicrous.....He's not even been found guilty yet and it's his first violation if he is.....He was coherent enough to know that he would probably be cut because of it, so he wasn't that intoxicated....
I promote drinking and driving, but I'll bet Biscuit, Ozzie, Harbs and 99% of the staff has done it at one time or another, and look like fools trying to act like perfect saints now a days because of the Ray Rice debacle....
C'mon Man, just stop it already !!!!!!.......These are human beings, not trained animals.....:gaah:

Again you find yourself on the wrong side.....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you find yourself on the wrong side.....

I would have to agree with this. Obviously he was driving impaired enough that the Police pulled him over. So while he might have been coherent enough to make some dumb comments that doesn't mean he was actually sober. Also the whole "he wasn't that drunk" argument is laughable at best. That is like somebody saying "Well the gun wasn't fully loaded." Even a slightly intoxicated person can do some serious damage. They can still get behind the wheel and kill somebody just as much as the drunkest of them all. One bad decision is all it takes.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to agree with this. Obviously he was driving impaired enough that the Police pulled him over. So while he might have been coherent enough to make some dumb comments that doesn't mean he was actually sober. Also the whole "he wasn't that drunk" argument is laughable at best. That is like somebody saying "Well the gun wasn't fully loaded." Even a slightly intoxicated person can do some serious damage. They can still get behind the wheel and kill somebody just as much as the drunkest of them all. One bad decision is all it takes.

Your analogy is silly. There are no degrees of loaded just like pregnant but there is one shitload of degrees of difference between a couple and a twelve pack. Cripes.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your analogy is silly. There are no degrees of loaded just like pregnant but there is one shitload of degrees of difference between a couple and a twelve pack. Cripes.

My point is a little drunk or a lot drunk the same thing can happen of him killing himself or another because he is drunk. Yes maybe the odds go up the more you have to drink but wouldn't you say the same about a revolver where maybe it only has one shot instead of six there is still a big chance that you could kill someone because of being drunk

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is a little drunk or a lot drunk the same thing can happen of him killing himself or another because he is drunk. Yes maybe the odds go up the more you have to drink but wouldn't you say the same about a revolver where maybe it only has one shot instead of six there is still a big chance that you could kill someone because of being drunk
your point is inarguable.....

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if the issue is "what could happen because of it", then if they get caught talking/texting on their cell phone while driving, they should be arrested and thrown off the team because that is illegal and could cause them to have an accident and potentially kill someone.....Horse honkey !!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierce had potential but he squandered his chances... Easily replaceable

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the issue is "what could happen because of it", then if they get caught talking/texting on their cell phone while driving, they should be arrested and thrown off the team because that is illegal and could cause them to have an accident and potentially kill someone.....Horse honkey !!

Well I am a volunteer EMT in my town and just had to explain to a family why their husband and father is not coming home because some lady texting ran him over so yeah I have no problem if a player gets kicked off for that. It is not horse honkey.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I find myself on your side.....

Follow me son, I'll teach you something !!
Well I am a volunteer EMT in my town and just had to explain to a family why their husband and father is not coming home because some lady texting ran him over so yeah I have no problem if a player gets kicked off for that. It is not horse honkey.

I know you are smart enough to know I wasn't promoting either, but just pointing out that if an NFL player was being cut for the DUI, they would have to be for the cell phone violation too, as 1 is as dangerous as the other...
But with the note that when there was no accident on either, it's horse honkey.....