• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers vs. Astros 5/12-5/14

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I left last night and awake to find conversation of Leonys Martin leaving. How did this start? Why?

He's young (26), has shown improvement - very much so from last year to this - and is under team control until 2019.

Why would we want to trade him?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I left last night and awake to find conversation of Leonys Martin leaving. How did this start? Why?

He's young (26), has shown improvement - very much so from last year to this - and is under team control until 2019.

Why would we want to trade him?

Ask Justin. He's the one always looking to wheel and deal.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be even worse guys:

Beltran told Joe Girardi he was done for the night, and the manager said he was concerned for his 36-year-old No. 3 hitter. "I'm concerned because it was enough to take himself out of the game," Girardi said. "I didn't have a long conversation with him about how sore he was. He seemed pretty upset." Beltran wasn't around after the game.

There was a lot of conversation about signing this guy.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check the market on what players as good as he is are bringing.

Were you mentioning about offering him something similar to what we offered Cruz?

Playing devil's advocate here: What if he takes it and we really don't get a decent offer for him. What happens then? Everyone is trade able, but would you be willing to eat some contract in order to do so? Or are you very comfortable with having him at $14 mil and thinking someone else is going to jump on it?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you mentioning about offering him something similar to what we offered Cruz?

Playing devil's advocate here: What if he takes it and we really don't get a decent offer for him. What happens then? Everyone is trade able, but would you be willing to eat some contract in order to do so? Or are you very comfortable with having him at $14 mil and thinking someone else is going to jump on it?

It's not a matter of offering him anything. He has an option we can pick up. Somewhere around $14 million.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask Justin. He's the one always looking to wheel and deal.

Ha ha. I was just throwing out possibilities. I just meant I don't think it's for certain that Martin is back. I've always loved Martin. There's just too many players and not enough positions. I would think he'll be back because he's cheap and productive, but it's not set in stone.

As for wheeling and dealing...it's coming. Maybe at the deadline. Maybe in the offseason. I'm assuming to pick up a starter.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for wheeling and dealing...it's coming. Maybe at the deadline. Maybe in the offseason. I'm assuming to pick up a starter.

As it stands today, I'd be amazed to see the Rangers trying to add a starter at the deadline. But that's based on what I'm looking at today.

A lot will depend on how Lewis/Harrison continue to getting innings, if Perez is not down for too long, and if Holland can come back healthy in the 2nd half. That's a lot of what if's and maybes to me.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see him as being that good

I think this is ridiculous. Outfielders who hit between .280 and .300 every year with 30 stolen bases, 20+ HR's, and 70+ RBI's don't grow on trees. The team is going to need him next year, especially considering the fact that most people think our lineup sucks even with his production, imagine how bad we would be without him. I know the guy doesn't have the best demeanor in the world, but we need Rios.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard this on Around-the-Horn: Since Feb in baseball, both minors/majors, 33 pitchers have had TJ surgery.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is ridiculous. Outfielders who hit between .280 and .300 every year with 30 stolen bases, 20+ HR's, and 70+ RBI's don't grow on trees. The team is going to need him next year, especially considering the fact that most people think our lineup sucks even with his production, imagine how bad we would be without him. I know the guy doesn't have the best demeanor in the world, but we need Rios.

You really are the most short sighted fan on here.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and disagree with him. I mean, he's definitely good. But he comes across as a player that could be GREAT if he just worked hard with his talent. I dont think he's necessary for this team to win a ring

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're going to get roasted by some here for making this case. And I'm going to be scorned for agreeing with ya.

I just don't get how a guy with these kinds of stats - as well as his "demeanor" - seems to be such a throw away, like, "oh well, we'll just put Michael Choice out there and count him to duplicate this effort. Those are some damn good numbers, and in spite of me feeling strongly about MC, I don't think I'd count on him for this next season.

Now, this is all based on 13 May stats. A lot can change. But it's today.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

96? Good News...

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At some point tough decisions must be made and Rios might be one of those tough decisions, and I'm not convinced he would be worth the 14 million dollar price tag next year, especially if they feel Choice can adequately replace him at a fraction of the cost, you then use that money and sign someone that fills another hole

The option/Choice question isn't even one that can be answered til after this season is concluded anyway, so I wouldn't be making too many declarative statements about who we need yet.

I was simply offering my 2 cents about what I would do