• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Royally receive Kansas City for four 7/28-7/31

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. But the Gallo comparison is what I was going for. Those quotes were actually about former Angels über elite prospect Dallas McPherson. Scary how similar their scouting reports and outlooks read, isn't it? McPherson was considered the most freakish power-hitting prospect to come along in ages and to many was as "can't miss" as they come.

In fact, the Angels had what many scouts considered the 4 horsemen of elite prospects all about to break into the big leagues at roughly the same time: Dallas McPherson, Casey Kotchman, Brandon Wood, and Jeff Mathis. All 4 were considered elite and "can't miss". Two of them never had any kind of ML career, one played a few seasons as a below average/backup 1B, and one managed to carve out a career as a terrible hitting defensive catcher.

My point is, if the return is a known commodity, trade your prospects. If Lewis Brinson becomes the next Torii Hunter, oh well. Shit happens. There's a far better chance he goes the way of other can't miss "studs" like Mike Olt or becomes a mediocre player like Jarod Saltalamacchia.

And this is why prospects are just that... prospects

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is why prospects are just that... prospects
Yep, and I'm all for trading them as long as the return is a proven commodity who can definitely help the team now. I just don't want us to unload the entire farm system on one player... not even Sale.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph and Hambombs- you two can sleep easy tonight because TR Sullivan just reported that the Rangers are out of the Cashner race.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and I'm all for trading them as long as the return is a proven commodity who can definitely help the team now. I just don't want us to unload the entire farm system on one player... not even Sale.

Kershaw, fernandez?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw, fernandez?
Those would be the two I would give up quite a bit for, but not the entire farm. Kershaw has a major back injury and Fernandez has already had one TJ surgery in a very short career. But I do rank them both well ahead of Chris Sale.

Baseball is just too much of a team sport to give up your entire farm system for one player. Kershaw has been far and away the best pitcher in baseball and one of the all-time greats, but even with him the Dodgers haven't made it to the World Series.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those would be the two I would give up quite a bit for, but not the entire farm. Kershaw has a major back injury and Fernandez has already had one TJ surgery in a very short career. But I do rank them both well ahead of Chris Sale.

Yep, but i wonder what the asking price is for sale

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, but i wonder what the asking price is for sale
From every report I've read, they want Profar, Gallo, AND Mazara plus 1-2 of our other top guys. The talks broke down because Mazara was a deal-breaker for JD.

So, something like Profar, Gallo, Mazara, Tate, and Ortiz. No way I commit that many high-end pieces for a guy who isn't a guaranteed win every time he pitches (he lost just tonight). I'm good with 2-3 of the upper tier guys packaged with a few lower ones, but losing that many of your top 10 at once (not to mention Mazara) is just too much risk.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Gerry Fraley:

Question: Hard to image given the array of pitchers who've been named, but is there a guy out there who hasn't been talked about much as a trade possibility for the Rangers that could or should be?

Fraley: Dan Straily of Cincinnati. Scouts say he is throwing well and soaks up innings. He's a back-of-the-rotation guy, but he keeps his team in games. Rangers need that, too.

Question: No way Tampa Bay truly believes Matt Moore or Jake Odorizzi are worth Gallo/Profar, right? Is that asking price a result of standards set by the market?

Fraley: Rays believe each pitcher is worth that return. Moore is about to get back to where he was before TJ surgery. He's going to be really good. Odorizzi is solid. Pitching is valuable now.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess everyone can relax now.

The Padres have agreed to trade pitchers Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea to the Miami Marlins, according to multiple reports.

In exchange, the Marlins will send first baseman prospect Josh Naylor, 19, to San Diego, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reports. Naylor was the No. 12 pick in the 2015 MLB draft.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. But the Gallo comparison is what I was going for. Those quotes were actually about former Angels über elite prospect Dallas McPherson. Scary how similar their scouting reports and outlooks read, isn't it? McPherson was considered the most freakish power-hitting prospect to come along in ages and to many was as "can't miss" as they come.

In fact, the Angels had what many scouts considered the 4 horsemen of elite prospects all about to break into the big leagues at roughly the same time: Dallas McPherson, Casey Kotchman, Brandon Wood, and Jeff Mathis. All 4 were considered elite and "can't miss". Two of them never had any kind of ML career, one played a few seasons as a below average/backup 1B, and one managed to carve out a career as a terrible hitting defensive catcher.

My point is, if the return is a known commodity, trade your prospects. If Lewis Brinson becomes the next Torii Hunter, oh well. Shit happens. There's a far better chance he goes the way of other can't miss "studs" like Mike Olt or becomes a mediocre player like Jarod Saltalamacchia.

I'm generally with you on "MLB proven >>>>>>> prospects".

That's why I'd be ok with moving Gallo/Brinson/Tate/Ortiz/etc.... but for the right deal. Asset allocation. Can only trade them once, so may as well nab the biggest fish you can.

Would hate to trade Gallo for Moore ----- and then have Jose Fernandez become available this winter.

BUT...other side of that is..... flags fly forever. Darvish, Hamels, Sale/Archer/Gray, Lewis for a playoff rotation?! I'm in.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually ok with Garza since he's pitched for the rays and he's a bulldog.

Garza was the right trade at the time. You weren't exactly sure if you were going to get a 7IP/2ER start or a 5IP/5ER start, but he brought intensity and emotion. I enjoyed watching him pitch here.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's why I'd be ok with moving Gallo/Brinson/Tate/Ortiz/etc.... but for the right deal. Asset allocation. Can only trade them once, so may as well nab the biggest fish you can.

Would hate to trade Gallo for Moore ----- and then have Jose Fernandez become available this winter.

BUT...other side of that is..... flags fly forever. Darvish, Hamels, Sale/Archer/Gray, Lewis for a playoff rotation?! I'm in.

if it were for someone like DeSclafini or Velasquez i could see those going

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think Profar and Mazara going anywhere.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is this clown? Not to mention the clowns who agreed with him.
upload_2016-7-29_10-59-13.gif

mfMJO5xP_reasonably_small.jpg
Jose de Jesus Ortiz–upload_2016-7-29_10-59-13.gifVerified account ‏@OrtizKicks
If season ended today, the Blue Jays would play Red Sox in WC. But we all know #Astros will pass Rangers in West.

CoiPqKHUEAIEk0W.jpg
6:15 AM - 29 Jul 2016
9 RETWEETS29 LIKES
Reply to @OrtizKicks
Replies
1WZK3Otz_reasonably_small.png
3h3 hours ago
Tim Godfrey ‏@MrTimGodfrey
@OrtizKicks Do you think Houston can steal it from Boston, or perhaps have Toronto fall out and Bos-Hou earn wild card spots?
mfMJO5xP_reasonably_small.jpg
3h3 hours ago
Jose de Jesus Ortiz ‏@OrtizKicks
@MrTimGodfrey I really think the Astros will win the West.

2h2 hours ago
john hunter ‏@johnnyhunt0714
@OrtizKicks @MrTimGodfrey do you think we will make a big trade for pitching?

2h2 hours ago
Austin Gardner ‏@Austinwray4
@OrtizKicks Astros fans throw out statements as if they're factual all the time... Why is that?

2h2 hours ago
Rick Sauceda ‏@RickSauceda
@OrtizKicks u must b joking. Rangers will hit stride n take the west. Astron r too scared to make any moves or spend any money sir.

2h2 hours ago
Austin Gardner ‏@Austinwray4
@OrtizKicks @MrTimGodfrey have fun with these stretches and your 26 games in 27 days. This is what hurt Rangers. pic.twitter.com/xHE2Y6mcvx

2h2 hours ago
Tim Hargrave ‏@TimHargrave2288
@OrtizKicks Rangers won't even make the playoffs!!!! The Astros don't need to make moves like the Rangers, there the ones losing all thetime

2h2 hours ago
Tim Hargrave ‏@TimHargrave2288
@OrtizKicks its the Rangers that r always trying to get our old player that we traded away or release and by the way the Rangers suck!!!!!!

1h1 hour ago
Papa John's DFW ‏@PapaJohnsDFW
@RickSauceda Rick, cheer on the #Rangers with us! ⚾️ Win the ultimate #Rangers prize package: http://papa-johns-3.centiv.me/361630935

1h1 hour ago
tim adams ‏@longhornman24
@OrtizKicks yeah and unicorns are real. Because if the Rangers make a trade and Colby gets healthy it's game over for the al

1h1 hour ago
Carle L. Atkinson ‏@nexusadvgrp
@TimHargrave2288 @OrtizKicks How many wins does the Astros have against the @Rangers this year? The last two years? Exactly.

1h1 hour ago
Jaxon ‏@djspookyjaxon
@TimHargrave2288 @OrtizKicks yeah, the Rangers suck that's why they're in first place and the Astros are 1-9 against them this year.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-29_10-59-13.gif
    52 bytes · Views: 1
    73 bytes · Views: 1
    76 bytes · Views: 1
    44 bytes · Views: 1
    75 bytes · Views: 1

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like this post a lot... very well said. Asset allocation is exactly what I was trying to stress to Hambombs in our conversation. You move prospects without even thinking twice for proven and valuable commodities as long as you know you're getting the most value you can out of those prospects. You don't trade Gallo and Profar for Matt Moore now if you know you can use those two plus one or two more in the offseason to land someone like a Jose Fernandez. It's also why I don't necessarily balk at adding a lesser piece like a Cashner or Santana now if I know that it won't deplete the asset pool and it does represent some sort of upgrade over a current starting piece.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to offer up what I know will probably be an unpopular opinion around here-

I really hope we trade for Jonathan Lucroy. I know that it's highly unlikely and that pitching is absolutely our biggest need. But here are a few reasons why I really want us to get him:

1. He's on a ridiculously reasonable $5.25M contract and under control for another year after this year.

2. He represents a HUGE upgrade over what we currently have on offense. He is #2 in all of baseball in WAR (behind only Posey) and #2 in OPS (behind only Ramos). He's essentially the best hitting catcher in baseball. Our current tandem doesn't even rank in the top 20. That's a big upgrade to our offense.

3. He also represents a massive upgrade defensively. He is #1 in all of baseball in runners thrown out stealing and #10 in dWAR. Lucroy has thrown out 32 base runners, while Wilson, Chirinos, Holaday, and Nicholas have combined for 16. Also, none of our catchers rank within the top 20 in dWAR. In every single other defensive metric out there, he destroys our catchers.

I know we won't get him, and I know we need pitching. But I just think he would be a huge difference maker on both sides of the plate and would actually be someone worth spending a few prospects on. He is hands down the biggest upgrade we could make at any one of the 8 non-pitching positions.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph and Hambombs- you two can sleep easy tonight because TR Sullivan just reported that the Rangers are out of the Cashner race.

Miami seems like a good spot for him

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garza was the right trade at the time. You weren't exactly sure if you were going to get a 7IP/2ER start or a 5IP/5ER start, but he brought intensity and emotion. I enjoyed watching him pitch here.
The problem I had with the Garza trade was that that team lacked enough offense. Without acquiring a bat or 2 that team wasn't going anywhere with Garza or any other pitcher.