• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers On Road For 3 Against LAA Sept. 24-26

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Adam Morris' article:

Currently, the Rangers have $67.25 million allocated to five current players (Shin-Soo Choo, Elvis Andrus, Rougned Odor, Mike Minor and Chris Martin) and two former players (Prince Fielder, net of insurance, and Austin Jackson). In addition, the Rangers appear likely to decline the options of Martin Perez, Matt Moore and Doug Fister, whose buyouts would total $2 million, and will pay Cole Hamels’ $6 million buyout of his $20 million team option for 2019 if the Chicago Cubs don’t exercise the option. Robinson Chirinos, meanwhile, has a 2019 option for $2.375 million that is almost certain to be picked up. That gets us to $77.625 million.

The Rangers have arbitration cases for five players who almost certainly will be tendered contracts for 2019 — Jurickson Profar, Nomar Mazara, Alex Claudio, Delino DeShields, and Matt Bush. That group probably pushes you to somewhere around $90 million in payroll. Ryan Rua, Eddie Butler, Hanser Alberto and Carlos Perez are also all arbitration-eligible, but if any of them return, it will be for something not much more than the league minimum.

So if the Rangers wanted to spend money, they easily could. They dropped payroll significantly this year, to $133 million to start the season, but even assuming they stayed at that level, that would give them about $40 million to go out and splurge. ...

So what we will likely see is some moves similar to last season, when Doug Fister, Matt Moore and Mike Minor were brought in on relatively inexpensive deals. Moore was a disaster, Fister was okay until he got hurt, and Minor was a success. Unless Clayton Kershaw opts out and indicates he wants to come home, Texas isn’t likely to spend big on a long-term expensive deal for a starting pitcher. Instead, they’ll probably look to see if one of the lefty bats can bring back a controllable pitcher they can try to plug into the rotation, will go with a reclamation case or two like Drew Pomeranz or Sonny Gray or Gio Gonzalez, will look to get creative if there’s another Mike Minor-type out there, and otherwise will bide their time until the starting pitchers who ended the year at Frisco are ready.

The bullpen is up in the air as well, but Texas isn’t going to spend big there either. Probably two-three guys of the Tony Barnette/Chris Martin variety, maybe a reunion with Jake Diekman, but probably not more than $5-8 million spend on relievers. That, plus whatever costs are associated with whatever starting pitchers the Rangers opt to bring to Arlington, will be the money that is likely to be used above and beyond what’s currently committed.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is something that just cannot ever happen then they had better not pursue any top of the rotation type free agents. That means we would take a chance on being stuck with sorry starting pitchers in the rotation 5 or 6 years down the road
And you could have that happen with a 3 or 4 year deal. It is a crapshoot with any deal just like it is with trying to build a team with your internal prospects. Haven't see a team yet that hasn't used a mixture of vets and prospects. Yes we got burned on Prince and Choo but it doesn't mean we shouldn't sign FA's and totally lock in on our prospects. Out of a 25 man roster of we get 18-20 out of our farm system I consider it a win.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my excuse for benching him.

.207/.325/.308/.633

Those are his splits since July 21.

Almost 10 weeks of hitting .207 with an OPS of .633 is a great excuse. He isn't getting any younger so those bad streaks are going to be longer and more pronounced as Father Time marches on.

Choo is sitting pine tonight

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you could have that happen with a 3 or 4 year deal. It is a crapshoot with any deal just like it is with trying to build a team with your internal prospects. Haven't see a team yet that hasn't used a mixture of vets and prospects. Yes we got burned on Prince and Choo but it doesn't mean we shouldn't sign FA's and totally lock in on our prospects. Out of a 25 man roster of we get 18-20 out of our farm system I consider it a win.
You only take a chance on a free agent if you are willing to eat some significant contract at times. If you are willing to do that then supplementing with free agents is a great way to go. When it is appropriate you eat it even if the price is steep. That has to be part of the formula though. If it isn't you can't afford to use free agency.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You only take a chance on a free agent if you are willing to eat some significant contract at times. If you are willing to do that then supplementing with free agents is a great way to go. When it is appropriate you eat it even if the price is steep. That has to be part of the formula though. If it isn't you can't afford to use free agency.

Well the owners had some pushback last season that bordered collusion IMO. Perhaps these contracts are all in the past. We shall see with Machado and Harper on the market.

Everything adapts

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the owners had some pushback last season that bordered collusion IMO. Perhaps these contracts are all in the past. We shall see with Machado and Harper on the market.

Everything adapts
I never bought the claims of collusion.

My whole point is if there is no way you can bench someone who is getting paid a lot of money then you cannot give a player that much money. You have to be prepared to eat contracts at times if you are going to participate in free agency.

I don't think our ownership has any problems allowing us to play the players who need to play and not the ones who get paid the most.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Management should approach Choo at the end of the season and let him know that there is a good chance that he will be a bench player from this point forward. If he isn't okay with that he can ask to be traded and we can grant him his wish.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds keep losing too. It looks like we are almost certain to get that 8th draft pick.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as we don't want to take on any contracts of note and we only have Mike Minor as a starter and no one really ready to step up in 2019, how about re-signing Yovani Gallardo to a 2 year $6.25M contract with the 2nd year optional? and then sign Drew Pomeranz to a 2 year $19.00M contract with 2nd year optional at $10M, Miguel Gonzalez and Francisco Liriano to 2 year $10.00M contracts with 2nd year options at $5.75M. that gives the Rangers a short rotation for the last year at Globe Life with the option to retain or pass on all 5. plus we sign Jaime Garcia and Chris Tillman to Minor League contracts in case one or more of the 1st 5 fail. that allows our kids to get nearly a full season at AAA with call up in September

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as we don't want to take on any contracts of note and we only have Mike Minor as a starter and no one really ready to step up in 2019, how about re-signing Yovani Gallardo to a 2 year $6.25M contract with the 2nd year optional? and then sign Drew Pomeranz to a 2 year $19.00M contract with 2nd year optional at $10M, Miguel Gonzalez and Francisco Liriano to 2 year $10.00M contracts with 2nd year options at $5.75M. that gives the Rangers a short rotation for the last year at Globe Life with the option to retain or pass on all 5. plus we sign Jaime Garcia and Chris Tillman to Minor League contracts in case one or more of the 1st 5 fail. that allows our kids to get nearly a full season at AAA with call up in September
I think Mendez will be in the rotation and probably Volquez. I think Perez could be back for the right price. Fister will probably be here as well.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mendez will be in the rotation and probably Volquez. I think Perez could be back for the right price. Fister will probably be here as well.
last 2 you mentioned hell no. I forgot about Volquez. Mendez isn't ready right now in my eyes which is why I suggested the pitchers I did. he will be in the rotation in 2020

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last 2 you mentioned hell no. I forgot about Volquez. Mendez isn't ready right now in my eyes which is why I suggested the pitchers I did. he will be in the rotation in 2020
Mendez is out of options so he will be in the rotation to start the year unless he is injured.

Don't bet on the Rangers feeling like you do about those last two.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mendez is out of options so he will be in the rotation to start the year unless he is injured.

Don't bet on the Rangers feeling like you do about those last two.
Perez has been given ample opportunities to impress and failed every time. why throw more good money in.

fister isn't worth the 4.5M option

Mendez will probably start in middle relief

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perez has been given ample opportunities to impress and failed every time. why throw more good money in.

fister isn't worth the 4.5M option

Mendez will probably start in middle relief
They thought Fister was worth that last year and his ERA this year was better than the two previous years so I think their thinking is he is worth that. That is, unless they just don't think he can stay healthy. His salary next year would only be $500,000 above what it was this year with the buyout taken into consideration.

They have messed up starters before by switching them to the bullpen so I hope they have learned their lesson and won't do that with Mendez.