• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers @ Mariners 7/2-7/4

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gamble on this

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah..it may be worth it if the mariners are ready to move on....and tampa does a bit diff than seattle so..shefield would still fit in well there though
but that would prob mean..marco...was doing well..prob is dugger is the only replacement in sight..for a 6 man rotation...that is down to 5 guys right now

i value brujan higher than...wander franco.( #1 prospect in baseball).but it just depends ..on who ya ask

gonzales..L/L
flexen
kikuchi..L/L
gilbert
dunn
Is Gonzales one of our top 5 SP's anymore?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vidal Brujan TB 23 y/o at AAA. Maybe a Sheffield deal can be made for him???? I don't know enough about his value, but TB has been slipping in the standings of late and they are always looking for cheap pitching. Hell, I would give them Marco in a deal.
Eh, sounds good the scenario you lay out but if any GM calls and is like can you add another player Jerry would be like ok, how about Hancock. I can only imagine Jerry is sitting in his office with his trade needle ready to go in his arm, just needs to another GM to give him fix.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, sounds good the scenario you lay out but if any GM calls and is like can you add another player Jerry would be like ok, how about Hancock. I can only imagine Jerry is sitting in his office with his trade needle ready to go in his arm, just needs to another GM to give him fix.
Oh absolutely and that scares me a bit. IF he is being told he can't spend, then top prospects may be his only way to improve this team and that is a mistake. But he is unsigned after this year so any deals he makes may only hurt the next guy.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...so far...
cant pitch worth beans...this year...but he is still a good pitcher..

guys have there probs...sometimes..in mlb...my dad would point out...that some players have a few good years..a few bad ones..then come back for some more good ones...and i have noticed..over time..with some players...it is true...some just go bad..and never come back from it...i have seen enough of that..as well

the league..caught up..with marco..now he ..has work to do to get ahead..again..
As I said I haven't watched many (if any) of his starts, but I'm hoping that this is just a bad stretch for him.

He had a 74 start stretch from 2018-20 where his ERA was at 3.85. I'm hoping that this is just a slump given his injury and the fact that he just had a kid.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I was always more surprised when he had success than when he has failed with his stuff. As for your question, no clue. Maybe someone smarter than me on here can answer that. I will be interested in the answer.
Looks like we are both wondering why he has struggled.

Being the nerd that I am, the biggest deviation I see in his performance from 2019 & 2020 is that in both those years he allowed around 9% HRs per fly ball. In 2021 he's sitting at 19.4%. Additionally his ground ball rate is down from 37-40% to 30.3% in 2020. It also looks like he's walking more batters this year. 9.0% this year in comparison to 2.5% last year. His barrel rate (whatever the hell that is), is also way higher.

Having not watched him and just looking at the statistics it looks like he's struggling with command and throwing pitches that have just been hammered by opposing hitters. The only other thing I see is that his pitch usage appears the same but he's using his cutter at a 12.1% rate this year as opposed to 24.3% last year.

Maybe he hasn't had the control of his cutter that he did before and is using other pitches instead? That's my best guess.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Being the nerd that I am, the biggest deviation I see in his performance from 2019 & 2020 is that in both those years he allowed around 9% HRs per fly ball. In 2021 he's sitting at 19.4%. Additionally his ground ball rate is down from 37-40% to 30.3% in 2020. It also looks like he's walking more batters this year. 9.0% this year in comparison to 2.5% last year. His barrel rate (whatever the hell that is), is also way higher.

Having not watched him and just looking at the statistics it looks like he's struggling with command and throwing pitches that have just been hammered by opposing hitters. The only other thing I see is that his pitch usage appears the same but he's using his cutter at a 12.1% rate this year as opposed to 24.3% last year.

Maybe he hasn't had the control of his cutter that he did before and is using other pitches instead? That's my best guess.
Great numbers (talking about ones you supplied, not his). One announcer a few weeks back mentioned he wasn't throwing the cutter as much and compared it to his first year with us which was following his shoulder surgery. He couldn't throw it because of the rehab. Not sure why now.

I am sure in the end it will be associated to an injury. If so, shut his ass down and let him recover.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Barrel rate is a term that applies to the batter getting the 'barrel' of that bat on the ball which almost always results in a ball hit with a high exit velocity +100 MPH - be it a line drive to the gap or a HR or even a well hit ball thru the infield.

Gonzo's barrel rate being higher means: he is serving up more balls out over the plate in the batters wheel house. Also means he is not fooling the hitters either when they are getting the fat part of the bat ( the barrel ) on the ball. Pitchers love to pitch inside or nibble at the outside edge of the strike zone so the batter is less inclined to get 'the barrel' of the bat on the ball.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great numbers (talking about ones you supplied, not his). One announcer a few weeks back mentioned he wasn't throwing the cutter as much and compared it to his first year with us which was following his shoulder surgery. He couldn't throw it because of the rehab. Not sure why now.

I am sure in the end it will be associated to an injury. If so, shut his ass down and let him recover.
Thanks brother. These days I don't really have the time (or patience) to pay full attention to a 3 hour baseball game, so I try to compensate for that with statistics (for better or worse).

Given those numbers I have to assume it's injury related. It would be cool if Fangraphs also provided the ERA data for each pitch. I have to assume the reduction in cutter usage is due to the fact that he's unable to throw it successfully, and if he wasn't throwing it during his rehab, I have to assume for some reason it's injury related.

I really can't see any other explanation for why he has suddenly lost his control and why when he is hitting the zone, he's getting hammered.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barrel rate is a term that applies to the batter getting the 'barrel' of that bat on the ball which almost always results in a ball hit with a high exit velocity +100 MPH - be it a line drive to the gap or a HR or even a well hit ball thru the infield.

Gonzo's barrel rate being higher means: he is serving up more balls out over the plate in the batters wheel house. Also means he is not fooling the hitters either when they are getting the fat part of the bat ( the barrel ) on the ball. Pitchers love to pitch inside or nibble at the outside edge of the strike zone so the batter is less inclined to get 'the barrel' of the bat on the ball.
Thanks for the clarification! That's roughly what I assumed it was. I suppose that goes back to my hypothesis that he must be hurt if he's allowing hitters to blast the ball off of his pitches and he's not controlling the zone.