• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host the White Sox For Four Games July 22-25

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK boys, the White Sox obviously suck, and the bats are still struggling. That said, we're 3 games out from Houston, who looks shaky, and only 2 back from Seattle, who look like a wounded duck.
Looks like Jung is starting another rehab assignment Friday, and Bochy says Carter is about a week behind him, progress-wise.
This upcoming series against Toronto will be crucial. Barring an ugly sweep, I can't see CY and the front office being sellers at the deadline.
If they're of a buyers mindset, they gotta be thinking along the lines of getting this offense going. Amazingly, pitching is not a need, whether talking starters or relievers.
If they make any significant move at the deadline at all, it needs to be for a high quality bat. Who could they target? I dunno.
Thoughts?
If you think the whole idea is stupid and they need to sell, sell, sell, feel free to let me have it, lol.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK boys, the White Sox obviously suck, and the bats are still struggling. That said, we're 3 games out from Houston, who looks shaky, and only 2 back from Seattle, who look like a wounded duck.
Looks like Jung is starting another rehab assignment Friday, and Bochy says Carter is about a week behind him, progress-wise.
This upcoming series against Toronto will be crucial. Barring an ugly sweep, I can't see CY and the front office being sellers at the deadline.
If they're of a buyers mindset, they gotta be thinking along the lines of getting this offense going. Amazingly, pitching is not a need, whether talking starters or relievers.
If they make any significant move at the deadline at all, it needs to be for a high quality bat. Who could they target? I dunno.
Thoughts?
If you think the whole idea is stupid and they need to sell, sell, sell, feel free to let me have it, lol.
There is another side to acquiring a high quality bat. It means a current starter will have to be benched. Who is management going to bench?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts?
I don't see them as sellers either and I also agree they need to add a bat.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jared Sandler:

Josh Smith has 24 multi-hit games this year, tied with Marcus Semien for the team lead.

Smith also now has seven multi-RBI games this year, five of them coming since June.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another side to acquiring a high quality bat. It means a current starter will have to be benched. Who is management going to bench?
Most likely Taveras but who we usually have as a DH has been so underwhelming that any starter replaced can DH instead. The issue will be not when Jung comes back because he, Smith and Seager can rotate at IF/DH. It will be when Carter comes back. But he was underwhelming at the time of his injury. If we have a position player that we pick up who can play OF and 1b then we can really rotate things around and get Carter in the field and rest a player once a week.
Bellinger fits that scenario.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a very good question. I would view Lowe, Garcia and Taveras as everyday players that have been hurting the team this season. Lowe obviously coming along a bit.
That said, the bats off the bench have been atrocious between Jank, Grossman, Knizner, ect, so it's also fair to say that upgrading one of the starting spots in the lineup may also upgrade the bench. To be honest I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be, but they would have to do something if they intend on competing. Obviously there is plenty of uncertainty.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likely Taveras but who we usually have as a DH has been so underwhelming that any starter replaced can DH instead. The issue will be not when Jung comes back because he, Smith and Seager can rotate at IF/DH. It will be when Carter comes back. But he was underwhelming at the time of his injury. If we have a position player that we pick up who can play OF and 1b then we can really rotate things around and get Carter in the field and rest a player once a week.
Bellinger fits that scenario.
To me, the description "high quality bat" means someone who plays every day, and not someone to be rotated around.

I think getting Carter and Jumg back solidifies the lineup. If that is the case, we need what DT has been asking for, replacements for Knizner, Jankowski, and Grossman. In other words, we need a better bench.

That is, unless we want to upgrade and replace Lowe or Garcia. I don't think management will do that.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thoughts?
Brent Rooker DH. .948 OPS vs lefty’s and Righty’s. 23 HR’s .291 average.
I know it won’t happen.
Other random thoughts.
Don’t rush Jung back. If he has ANY pain he has to be put on the shelf the rest of the year. This is still an unknown. Smith has to play every day.
Carter in left and Langford in center or the other way around and lose Taveras.
Carter needs to be pinch hit against lefty’s. He’s still learning.
Too bad Smith can’t play 1B.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thoughts?
I don’t feel a bat would be enough if we are talking about going back to the W.S. Perhaps it would get us the division but more than likely we would have to match up against the Orioles in the playoffs and right now we don’t match up well with them.
We need another starter similar to what Montgomery gave us last year. That starter along with Eovaldi could then match up against C.Burnes and G. Rodriguez. I like Gray but only in the role he pitched in last years playoffs. He was great in relief. Lorenzen could be decent but I am not sold on him at this moment. Maybe he is the 3rd or 4th starter as well as Heaney.
Its hard to say what Degrom would bring. Its too way too early to tell if he would be ready to make a difference in the playoffs. Same with Mahle but the early returns look good so far with him.
Scherzer can’t be counted on with all his ailments.
There are just too many question marks right now and if the team did trade for another quality starter some other pitcher would have to go back in a trade.
I hope the Rangers are in a position next week to buy. Would look forward to another chance to make a run this year.

Last edited:

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brent Rooker DH. .948 OPS vs lefty’s and Righty’s. 23 HR’s .291 average.
I know it won’t happen.
Other random thoughts.
Don’t rush Jung back. If he has ANY pain he has to be put on the shelf the rest of the year. This is still an unknown. Smith has to play every day.
Carter in left and Langford in center or the other way around and lose Taveras.
Carter needs to be pinch hit against lefty’s. He’s still learning.
Too bad Smith can’t play 1B.
I like Rooker too. He would definitely help this offense but your right 0 chance at it happening.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Carter makes it back in about three weeks these are my starters.

C Heim
1B Lowe
2B Semien
3B Jung
SS Seager
LF Smith
RF Garcia
CF Carter
DH Langford

Taveras most likely goes to the bench and either Jankowdki or Grossman would have to go. If you trade for a bench guy then both Grossman and Jankowski can leave. Knizner must be replaced by a capable hitting catcher to back up Heim, either via trade or by promoting Huff.

Management could be bold and bring in a replacement for Lowe, but I don't see that happening. After what Garcia did last postseason they will stick with him.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C Heim
1B Lowe
2B Semien
3B Jung
SS Seager
LF Smith
RF Garcia
CF Carter
DH Langford

Taveras most likely goes to the bench and either Jankowdki or Grossman would have to go. If you trade for a bench guy then both Grossman and Jankowski can leave. Knizner must be replaced by a capable hitting catcher to back up Heim, either via trade or by promoting Huff.

Management could be bold and bring in a replacement for Lowe, but I don't see that happening. After what Garcia did last postseason they will stick with him.
Carter was hitting .188. I wondered if he would be able to duplicate what he did in the playoffs and he hasn't so far.

Langford who I do believe will be a great player for the Rangers needs to get going again. In his last 10 games he has 4 hits with 2 of those being big ones in game 1 of this series. I hate to see him be just a DH at his age and with his speed.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter was hitting .188. I wondered if he would be able to duplicate what he did in the playoffs and he hasn't so far.

Langford who I do believe will be a great player for the Rangers needs to get going again. In his last 10 games he has 4 hits with 2 of those being big ones in game 1 of this series. I hate to see him be just a DH at his age and with his speed.
Agree on Langford. His speed says CF to me. Carter in Left against RHP and Smith against lefties. DH is becoming an issue. The current bench can't handle it and Smith, Lankford and Carter need to be playing. Leody is not my choice either. Either Fosque or bring in a DH.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C Heim
1B Lowe
2B Semien
3B Jung
SS Seager
LF Smith
RF Garcia
CF Carter
DH Langford

agree except they probably use Smith at DH and Langford in LF. would like to see them trade with Colorado for Elias Diaz C and release Knizner. then release Grossman and bring up either Huff or Crim. i still would keep Jankowski until the end of the season strictly as the 4th OF'er/PR.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rocker will start for Frisco on Friday.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think in the offseason Garcia could be moved and that would put Langford back in the OF.

I am anxious to see Carter when he is healthy again. I don't think last year was a fluke. Just like all hitters, he is going to struggle at times, especially early in his career.