• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host the Astros for Three Games September 4-6

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it seems like that is one thing JD passed on to his trainee/successor.
Seriously going to blame JS for last offseason which was pretty good but obviously not enough?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the conversation we had about this a couple of weeks ago. So do you still think Eovaldi is "nothing but the Opener," and is the 2nd pitcher the "primary pitcher?" Is the 2nd pitcher the "real starter"?
It is basically a bullpen game when “the starter” only goes 2 or 3 innings and the bullpen pitches the other 6 or 7 innings and that is announced by management as the plan.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised if this team fades badly down the stretch.
I agree with you on Hader. He should be FA target number 1.
The bullpen is worse than I originally thought. Meaning these guys cant seem to pitch in pressure situations.
But some on here seem content with only signing a closer and a couple relievers and going with what we’ve got and a couple of converted starters

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's worst than last year's. In fact it's somewhat historic to be this bad. These are major league ballplayers and none of them can be counted on to do their job. Is it lack of talent? Coaching? Preparation? Confidence? All of the above?

When you are a starting pitcher, or you are any position player that produces runs that day, and you KNOW that no matter how well you pitch or how many runs you score, the bullpen guys are sure to blow the game, it makes playing these games that much harder. I guarantee you the Rangers clubhouse is more like a morgue these days.
Yes good point and what’s a little disturbing to me is this Idea of interchanging roles of these starters to relievers. This rarely works
I am surprised at some of Bochys decisions this year. Not sure if it’s because he has been away for 5 years or does he need this year to get acclimated with some of these players he did not evaluate before taking the job.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hoping they sign Josh Hader. But the Rangers haven’t shown recently, especially under JD that they spend on big on reliever’s.
They are like place kickers are to Jerry Jones.
I do remember a comment earlier in the season that MM could fix some of these guys. Didn't happen. A lot of people on here gave him way too much credit when things would go well but are tight lipped now. Just goes to show you he is not a miracle worker.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What do you call this past stretch of 20 games, going 6-14? They are already fading badly.
I still had hope but after the last week and watching how these games have played out I feel less confident. This bullpen is worse than I originally thought. Sborz just flamed out. Never saw this coming. Leclerc and Chapman walk too many men. W.Smith is ok against lefties. Burke continues to be inconsistent. The only one I have faith in is Stratton and perhaps Bradford.

Last edited:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still had hope but after the last week and watching how these games have played out I feel less confident. This bullpen is worse than I originally thought.
What's crazy is they can have a stretch where they pitch lights out and we get encouraged and think some have figured it out and then just implode.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are like place kickers are to Jerry Jones.
I do remember a comment earlier in the season that MM could fix some of these guys. Didn't happen. A lot of people on here gave him way too much credit when things would go well but are tight lipped now. Just goes to show you he is not a miracle worker.
You can’t change a sow’s ear into a pearl and it’s rare to see a pitcher that’s been a starter all his history being changed into a reliever and it working. MM seems to be able to get more out of his staff than most pitching coaches but even he can’t turn these guys into relievers

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously going to blame JS for last offseason which was pretty good but obviously not enough?
JD? No, not at all.

I blame CY for that. I blame him because it was a failed plan to begin with. He executed what he wanted to accomplish very, very well.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What's crazy is they can have a stretch where they pitch lights out and we get encouraged and think some have figured it out and then just implode.
Exactly that’s what had me thinking they can still get it done. Yesterdays game just did me in.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is basically a bullpen game when “the starter” only goes 2 or 3 innings and the bullpen pitches the other 6 or 7 innings and that is announced by management as the plan.
I just remember you kept insisting that in the case of what they are doing tonight, that Eovaldi would be an Opener and the real starter would replace him. I kept saying it is a piggyback situation and not an Opener situation. I never understood why you insisted he would only be an Opener and the real starter would replace him. Eovaldi is the real starter, an extremely limited one, but he is the real starter and not an Opener.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does he need this year to get acclimated with some of these players he did not evaluate before taking the job.
Hopefully, he will have to get acclimated to almost a whole new bullpen next year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But some on here seem content with only signing a closer and a couple relievers and going with what we’ve got and a couple of converted starters
Who has said they would be content with such a terrible plan?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just remember you kept insisting that in the case of what they are doing tonight, that Eovaldi would be an Opener and the real starter would replace him. I kept saying it is a piggyback situation and not an Opener situation. I never understood why you insisted he would only be an Opener and the real starter would replace him. Eovaldi is the real starter, an extremely limited one, but he is the real starter and not an Opener.
Okay I get it no need to keep harping about it. And I never said the real starter would be the 2nd pitcher. I said Eovaldi would be the opener but it becomes a bullpen game after his 2 or 3 innings no matter if he throws a shutout he will not be eligible for the win and if the Rangers somehow win the pitchers who come in after him no matter how many runs they score while he’s in one of them will get the win.

I’m done with trying to discuss it with you

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I get it no need to keep harping about it. And I never said the real starter would be the real starter. I said Eovaldi would be the opener but it becomes a bullpen game after his 2 or 3 innings no matter if he throws a shutout he will not be eligible for the win and if the Rangers somehow win the pitchers who come in after him no matter how many runs they score while he’s in one of them will get the win.

I’m done with trying to discuss it with you
I only used the phrases I did, and put them in quotes, because they were direct quotes from you. I promise, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.

You are right though, time to move on.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had 6 players in the ASG.

One missed some time, but returned and has retained his MVP form.

One was pitching at a Cy Young candidate level, but has missed time and returns tonight with no rehab assignments.

One was the best catcher in the game, but missed to some with an injury and probably came back too soon.

One was a ROY candidate but then got hurt and won't be back until the final week of the season at best.

One is a streaky hitter who has cooled off.

One participated in the HR Derby and shouldn't have, and has forgotten how to hit fastballs and fallen off a cliff.