• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host the Astros for Three Games September 4-6

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the offense struggling so much has led to extra pressure on the bullpen with so many close games, leading the bullpen to collapse mentally under the pressure.
Could be but it seems at least 3 or 4 times in the past past week or so we have jumped out to a 3 or 4 to nothing lead and the starters except Scherzer give it up with a big inning. We are failing in every facet. We can't lay the blame on any one facet.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the offense struggling so much has led to extra pressure on the bullpen with so many close games, leading the bullpen to collapse mentally under the pressure.
I thought the pen has made the offense to struggle due to the pressure

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking I might have to make one more trip to see Frisco play this year

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bellinger would be a great addition, but this offense is more than one guy away.

I think our real window opens when Carter, Langford, Walcott, Ortiz, and another hitter, be it Foscue, Crim or Harris is ready, along with Porter, Rocker and Leiter. That is most likely 2026, when they can all be here and most can already have a little experience.

Until then, we have to do what we have to do to keep ownership happy. Just don't trade away core prospects that we will need in 2025 and 2026, including those who could be trade bait at that point to finalize the teams needs.

We have guys we need to find out about next year including, Foscue, Harris, Crim, Church, Lee, Speas, Kelly, Bradford, and Kent. Go out and sign guys, but allow most of those guys to get a shot next year. Maybe not all of the relievers at once or Kent to begin the season, but we should try to contend next year with the idea that we are building toward 2025 or most likely 2026. Those years being the goal of having a shot of winning it all and not just the division.

We can contend for the division in 2024, but we can contend for a WS in 2026, if we approach this right.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You just can't miss on a guy like Cole Ragans. You just can't. We aren't the Dodgers, Rays, or Braves where we have young minor league arms that always seem to stick.

That's why Leiter HAS to be good. That's why the Rocker pick was so ridiculous. Top 5 pitcher picks for an organization as developmentally challenged re: pitching have to be home runs. Jury is out on Leiter. Rocker? Please.
I didn’t like the Rocker pick. Think that was JD’s pick.
Leiter has looked good in his last two outings but he is still a long ways away.
I mean it’s extremely frustrating when you see C.Winn looking like a bust and O.White struggling. We were counting on these guys to be our future starters.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the pen has made the offense to struggle due to the pressure
Maybe it depends on what part of the struggle is focused on. We have struggled for a lot of the last 3 months. The bullpen was better for part of that. Both need work though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The decision to keep Heaney in the rotation and move Dunning out is ridiculous. Dunning goes deeper into games. This decision will lead to more bullpen usage.

The decision to bring Eovaldi back without rehab games will lead to more bullpen usage as well.

It is almost like CY and Bochy have no problem using the bullpen more.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bellinger would be a great addition, but this offense is more than one guy away.

I think our real window opens when Carter, Langford, Walcott, Ortiz, and another hitter, be it Foscue, Crim or Harris is ready, along with Porter, Rocker and Leiter. That is most likely 2026, when they can all be here and most can already have a little experience.

Until then, we have to do what we have to do to keep ownership happy. Just don't trade away core prospects that we will need in 2025 and 2026, including those who could be trade bait at that point to finalize the teams needs.

We have guys we need to find out about next year including, Foscue, Harris, Crim, Church, Lee, Speas, Kelly, Bradford, and Kent. Go out and sign guys, but allow most of those guys to get a shot next year. Maybe not all of the relievers at once or Kent to begin the season, but we should try to contend next year with the idea that we are building toward 2025 or most likely 2026. Those years being the goal of having a shot of winning it all and not just the division.

We can contend for the division in 2024, but we can contend for a WS in 2026, if we approach this right.
I think the Rangers did not expect to contend this year. However I think 2024 and especially 2025 are seasons that the front office has been targeting. 2026 seems too far off, especially with the Seager and deGrom signings. I expect 2025 to be the best year of Ranger baseball since 2011. At least that is my hope.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The decision to keep Heaney in the rotation and move Dunning out is ridiculous. Dunning goes deeper into games. This decision will lead to more bullpen usage.

The decision to bring Eovaldi back without rehab games will lead to more bullpen usage as well.

It is almost like CY and Bochy have no problem using the bullpen more.
The Dunning move baffles me as well. Heaney rarely gets thru 5 innings. I am still wondering if Eovaldi is going to have continue discomfort in the forearm down the road.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rangers did not expect to contend this year. However I think 2024 and especially 2025 are seasons that the front office has been targeting. 2026 seems too far off, especially with the Seager and deGrom signings. I expect 2025 to be the best year of Ranger baseball since 2011. At least that is my hope.
I don't think theyvwould have signed all the pitching if they didn't expend to contend this year. I have heard folks offer the opinion that they didn't expect to contend this year before. The ones who usually say that are trying to give them am excuse for the rotten pen, not saying you are part of that group though.

I only say 2026 because that is when guys like Porter and Walcott will not only be here, but have a little experience as well.

I think we could easily make the postseason next hear and go beyond the first round in 2025.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dunning move baffles me as well. Heaney rarely gets thru 5 innings. I am still wondering if Eovaldi is going to have continue discomfort in the forearm down the road.
I think, sadly, the Dunning/Heaney decision all comes down to not disrespecting the veteran in favor of the young guy. He thinks it keeps the clubhouse happy and that that is worth it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Langford goes 0 for 4 in his Frisco debut.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, sadly, the Dunning/Heaney decision all comes down to not disrespecting the veteran in favor of the young guy. He thinks it keeps the clubhouse happy and that that is worth it.
I have a feeling Dunning will be piggybacking Eovaldi tomorrow. Let's just hope for miraculous results in our favor.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Dunning will be piggybacking Eovaldi tomorrow. Let's just hope for miraculous results in our favor.
Yes, either him or Bradford or both.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think theyvwould have signed all the pitching if they didn't expend to contend this year. I have heard folks offer the opinion that they didn't expect to contend this year before. The ones who usually say that are trying to give them am excuse for the rotten pen, not saying you are part of that group though.

I only say 2026 because that is when guys like Porter and Walcott will not only be here, but have a little experience as well.

I think we could easily make the postseason next hear and go beyond the first round in 2025.

The way the Rangers develop pitching Porter won’t be ready by 2030……

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

The bullpen numbers are nothing short of grotesque. And the inability to close out leads has robbed the Rangers of the chance to regain late-season momentum. The current 47.3% save conversion percentage would make it the worst all-time for a team with at least 25 saves. The ERA is now approaching 5.00 (it sits at 4.86).

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eovaldi pitches today in what some see as an "Opener" role. Actually, he is just an extremely limited starter in what amounts to a semi-bullpen game.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

The bullpen numbers are nothing short of grotesque. And the inability to close out leads has robbed the Rangers of the chance to regain late-season momentum. The current 47.3% save conversion percentage would make it the worst all-time for a team with at least 25 saves. The ERA is now approaching 5.00 (it sits at 4.86).
Unfortunately this is the end all for the problems of the season.

Tough to just out score teams.
Do not think you can just buy a pen unless you trade position players Just have to get pitching development on track. Good to see Leiter do well. Pretty sad overall
Dreading the pen every outing.

Such a waste