• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Come Home From Batting Practice To Face Rays Sept. 10-12

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor delivers albeit very inconsistently. 0-3 then the 3 run shot. Haha.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they spend on 29 year old Rendon then won’t that block the position for the two hot corner draft picks this year?
One of them would have to change positions anyway, so I guess both would if they signed Rendon.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of them would have to change positions anyway, so I guess both would if they signed Rendon.

They won't spend on Rendon cause they are cheap. They will wait on the draft picks to come up and probably use Solak at 3rd until then. Which means Odor gets most of the starts at 2nd base. Maybe their cheap asses will try and spend on Cole but they will be outbid and just sign some retreads......so much of the same

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't spend on Rendon cause they are cheap. They will wait on the draft picks to come up and probably use Solak at 3rd until then. Which means Odor gets most of the starts at 2nd base. Maybe their cheap asses will try and spend on Cole but they will be outbid and just sign some retreads......so much of the same

So basically our owners suck.

Got it.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they spend on 29 year old Rendon then won’t that block the position for the two hot corner draft picks this year?
Following normal movement both are at least a minimum of 3 years away. Let them mature as pros

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must be reading from JD's play book because that is exactly how it will play out. They will probably make some cheap lowball offers to Rendon and/or Cole like half the years and money of any other team and JD will publicly state that he felt we made legitimate offers

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are projecting Cole will get 7 years with around 35M AAV the Rangers will offer no more than 3 years 30M AAV and be shocked when turned down.
Rendon will probably get at least 5 years 105M and the Rangers will under bid probably offering 2 years 35M and again be shocked when their offer is rejected.

JD will play the fanbase by pretending to show interest in quality FA's and then settle for below average FA's

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Following normal movement both are at least a minimum of 3 years away. Let them mature as pros
Weren't you saying a few days ago that Jung should be up playing here this month?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are projecting Cole will get 7 years with around 35M AAV the Rangers will offer no more than 3 years 30M AAV and be shocked when turned down.
Rendon will probably get at least 5 years 105M and the Rangers will under bid probably offering 2 years 35M and again be shocked when their offer is rejected.

JD will play the fanbase by pretending to show interest in quality FA's and then settle for below average FA's
Would it be wise to give Cole 7 years at $35 million AAV if you are operating under the budget of a top 10 spending team?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the budget is for this market and if it will be even somewhat disclosed is if gig interest. A lot of teams have players with contracts that have underperformed. It does not mean they are locked in. Just wonder to what extend we will try to compete next year

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't you saying a few days ago that Jung should be up playing here this month?
yes I did and it was intended as a joke/ I know he isn't ready and won't be for at least 3 years.
now you have coincidently posted multiple posts where you want to sit on your hands do absolutely the minimum and wait for all the prospects to reach the majors before we do anything. what is your projected season for that?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the budget is for this market and if it will be even somewhat disclosed is if gig interest. A lot of teams have players with contracts that have underperformed. It does not mean they are locked in. Just wonder to what extend we will try to compete next year
0 to 15% max. I don't believe that the ownership is interested in competing next season or possibly the next 2 or 3 years. they are only interested in putting a team on the field that hovers at or just below 81 wins. there are at least 7 or 8 teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Indians, Twins, Astros and A's) in the AL who will consistently win 87+ games a year with only 5 reaching the playoffs each year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes I did and it was intended as a joke/ I know he isn't ready and won't be for at least 3 years.
now you have coincidently posted multiple posts where you want to sit on your hands do absolutely the minimum and wait for all the prospects to reach the majors before we do anything. what is your projected season for that?
You must have completely ignored my post where I said I would be in favor of picking up one or two good to very good FA this offseason and next. I have also mentioned being proactive in trading Minor and/or Lynn for guys more guys like Burke, Solak and Allard who could not only help us in the future, but very soon, if not right away, as well. Or, was you saying I want us to sit on our hands a joke too?

As far as your question when all the prospects will arrive, that question makes no sense because they won't all arrive at the same time.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0 to 15% max. I don't believe that the ownership is interested in competing next season or possibly the next 2 or 3 years. they are only interested in putting a team on the field that hovers at or just below 81 wins. there are at least 7 or 8 teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Indians, Twins, Astros and A's) in the AL who will consistently win 87+ games a year with only 5 reaching the playoffs each year.
Until we can win 95 games or so we are not where we need to be. I would be happy if the goal was to build up to where we could do that for a 4-5 year stretch or more. If winning 70 in the present meant hastening the year we can start winning 95 then I would have no problem with those lean years.

I don't really believe that is the plan though. I think the plan is to not do anything that would keep us from winning 85 games as soon as possible, so we can win a WC spot. That plan and a lucky horseshoe, a rabbit's foot, and a tremendous amount of luck could be a great plan, but I don't believe in fairy tales so I am not a fan of that plan.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until we can win 95 games or so we are not where we need to be. I would be happy if the goal was to build up to where we could do that for a 4-5 year stretch or more. If winning 70 in the present meant hastening the year we can start winning 95 then I would have no problem with those lean years.

I don't really believe that is the plan though. I think the plan is to not do anything that would keep us from winning 85 games as soon as possible, so we can win a WC spot. That plan and a lucky horseshoe, a rabbit's foot, and a tremendous amount of luck could be a great plan, but I don't believe in fairy tales so I am not a fan of that plan.
of course you're not. you believe in the sit and wait and hope that every prospect is a stud and let's wait for all of them before we try to compete. I think like I've stated before that adding a Cole to Minor, Lynn, Allard and Burke gives us pitching to compete now and years to come because we can move Minor next year or allow him to move on and bring up Palumbo, Hearn or Phillips to fill his spot and then we can move Lynn in either 2020 or 2021 and move one of them into his spot. we maintain a competitive starting rotation over the years. our weakness is positional players where all we have is Andrus, Calhoun, Gallo and Solak with Trevino, IKF and Santana as bench. we need a starting 3B, 1B and catcher to complete the team and all we have is ? at 3B, Odor at 2B and Mathis at C. add 1 or 2 quality positional to fill 1 or more of those positions and we become a little more competitive add another one in 2021 and we become even more competitive. and with very good positional prospects becoming closer we continue to be competitive.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it be wise to give Cole 7 years at $35 million AAV if you are operating under the budget of a top 10 spending team?
Verlander is getting about that much per season and if Cole could do what Verlander has done for the Astros then I am all in for 5 years. Not sure about 7. A TORP to go with the young guys we have now along with 2 other veterans in Minor and Lynn would be a nice rotation a hopefully one that stops any extended losing streaks. And it does not cost you any players.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander is getting about that much per season and if Cole could do what Verlander has done for the Astros then I am all in for 5 years. Not sure about 7. A TORP to go with the young guys we have now along with 2 other veterans in Minor and Lynn would be a nice rotation a hopefully one that stops any extended losing streaks. And it does not cost you any players.
So if he has to have 7 years tou are out then? I would be a lot more willing to spend big on him for 5 years as well. I just don't think that will get it done.