• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Angelic visit to La La land 7/18-7/20

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont, but I know if he retired he leaves tens of millions of dollars on the table.

Again, I agree. I was really looking at it from "he's hurt and can't play" standpoint.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Dodgers have anything in their system to trade for a pitcher? I know they got money, but prospects?

They have deep pockets. So if they want Santana for instance, they say "hey we will eat all his salary and you can send us another toxic contract and we will kick in half. Then DF the guy later.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have deep pockets. So if they want Santana for instance, they say "hey we will eat all his salary and you can send us another toxic contract and we will kick in half. Then DF the guy later.

Exactly. Twins just want out of that contract.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scottie pointed out tha
we have scored 19 runs in the last 4 games and won 1 of them. we have given up 25+ during those games the problem is SP
It's plain to see as Scottie has made clear. We have averaged almost 5 runs per game in the last 4 games. Now in most cases we should win those games. It is very clear to see that pitching has failed us. ( not news ) Now PF is gone. A big problem ,less we worry, but SP is still 1st priority. Our offense can score but there is a limit. Without help from JD it will not matter about the Choos and Fielders and runs, we cannot win. Nothing you didn't already know. Frustrated and ranting.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, this is a perfect example of addition by subtraction though. But I agree with y'all about PF and I say, "the hell with him."

Now Banister and JD can cease with all the "we've gotta get Prince going" nonsense. Plus, if Choo's leg problems persist then he'll be a much better option at DH than Fielder was to begin with.
Who knows?....If Banny benched Fielder in early May maybe his condition would not be as bad now. We will never know.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, good to see we added so much power with the call-ups for Fielder and Choo wasn't it?

I get DDJ as his AAA bat is good. Hanser has been doing 'ok'. Only reason for not bringing up Gallo I guess is to protect him as a trade chip.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As pissed off as I am about and with Fielder, I'm almost as PO with the lack of "intestinal fortitude" our manager and FO showed in dealing with that fat, worthless SOB.

You know Fielder has known for months his neck is a problem. Especially since he's had the exact same problem before.

But why the team didn't take a more aggressive stance/position on dealing with him is puzzling at best.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Twins just want out of that contract.

And the Dodgers maybe throw in a few lower level MiL types just to make the deal seem legit. Even though...the Angels showed you can sell a player with a toxic contract without getting one in return. Josh Hamilton.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the cuff: Does Hiilerich and Bradsby still mfg Louisville Sluggers? And who if not? tyia

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the cuff: Does Hiilerich and Bradsby still mfg Louisville Sluggers? And who if not? tyia

According to their site they still do:

Our History

Time line here as they moved in 1996 to a new location a few blocks away:

Louisville Slugger Museum

Another interesting tidbit...If you ever head to Branson MO., the theme park Silver Dollar City has a baseball bat cart and makes bats on site. You can get it personalized. Got my boys their own and one for me too!

Shopping | Casey's Baseball Bat Cart

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else know that Julio Borbon is still in the majors? I can't believe he is still playing. He started in CF for Baltimore today. I figured that guy was long gone.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else know that Julio Borbon is still in the majors? I can't believe he is still playing. He started in CF for Baltimore today. I figured that guy was long gone.
News to me and glad for him

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking about him a couple of days ago and wondering what he was doing.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowlishaw: On the bright side, losing Prince Fielder would likely keep Profar, Gallo in Rangers uniforms | SportsDay

There remains a chance that Colby Lewis and Derek Holland will be back in the rotation by the end of August. Put them behind Cole Hamels and Yu Darvish, and Banister's pitching options return to respectability.

Even if that isn't likely to happen -- or if Holland returns and continues to struggle as he has all year -- that doesn't justify making a bad deal.

Profar is 23 and can do a little of everything. Despite the fact we have seen Gallo and heard about him for quite a while now, he's still only 22. His Triple-A numbers are far, far better than they were a year ago. Walking more, striking out less, still hitting for power, Gallo's OPS at Round Rock is .935 compared to .739 in 200 at-bats last season.

I know bad pitching is hard to watch. But the reason Tampa Bay and San Diego are bottom dwellers with available pitching is that those pitchers have not produced. There's no reason to drag any of them here to do more of the same at the expense of the Rangers' bright future.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowlishaw: On the bright side, losing Prince Fielder would likely keep Profar, Gallo in Rangers uniforms | SportsDay

There remains a chance that Colby Lewis and Derek Holland will be back in the rotation by the end of August. Put them behind Cole Hamels and Yu Darvish, and Banister's pitching options return to respectability.

Even if that isn't likely to happen -- or if Holland returns and continues to struggle as he has all year -- that doesn't justify making a bad deal.

Profar is 23 and can do a little of everything. Despite the fact we have seen Gallo and heard about him for quite a while now, he's still only 22. His Triple-A numbers are far, far better than they were a year ago. Walking more, striking out less, still hitting for power, Gallo's OPS at Round Rock is .935 compared to .739 in 200 at-bats last season.

I know bad pitching is hard to watch. But the reason Tampa Bay and San Diego are bottom dwellers with available pitching is that those pitchers have not produced. There's no reason to drag any of them here to do more of the same at the expense of the Rangers' bright future.
Like I said a couple of days ago. Was it worth Boston giving up its top pitching prospect for Pomeranz. I didn't think so and he pretty much bombed out in his 1st start. This is his 1st year to pitch more than 100 innings. But time will tell.

I agree with Cowlishaw in that we do not need to give away the farm. But the fact is we need pitching and not just this year but maybe also next year. I do not see anyone worth giving away Gallo and Profar. But if we can get multiple pitchers who are locked in for a couple of years to fill even the 4-5 spots we have to think about it. Plus it sure seems taking on Santana's contract is the way to go for very little in losing players. 5-6 more weeks of what we have which by the way has made us about the worst team in the AL will be tough to take. We have had teams with a lot of fire power and very little pitching. Do not want to go back to those days. And hurry back Colby.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All valid points. Although we need some arms. If we get one or two relievers who can bridge the gap from inning 4-6 that may be a Band-Aid until Colby or Holland come back. Perhaps Colishaw knows something we don't about the FO thoughts right now.