• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Angelic visit to La La land 7/18-7/20

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vs. RHPs
C- Chirinos
1B- Moreland
2B- Odor
3B- Beltre
SS- Andrus
CF- Desmond
COF- Mazara, Gallo
UTIL/DH- Profar

Vs. LHPs
C- Wilson
1B- Moreland
2B- Odor
3B- Beltre
SS- Andrus
CF- Desmond
COF- DDJ, Rua
UTIL/DH- Profar/Gallo/Mazara

Rua, Profar and Gallo's ability to play multiple positions is helpful

Against RHPs the lineup is pretty straightforward

Against LHPs its a bit more up in the air, I gave DDJ and Rua the advantage due to being RH'ed, but honestly the other OF spot and DH should go those hitting the best at the time, plus DDJ is a good PR option

I'd call up Gallo and option Alberto back down at least while Choo is out

With Fielder gone it finally creates a culture where the best players can play and actually earn their playing time

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just venting here so really these questions don't necessarily need answering.

Why has Perez and AJ completely forgotten how to pitch like both of them were pitching earlier this year? Why has Nick and Chi Chi completely forgotten how to at least get by in the big leagues like each has done in the past? Why has each of them and especially Chi Chi forgotten how to even be successful in AAA? Why has all of those things occurred simultaneously along with Colby and Derek getting hurt? What in the world is going on with this team's pitching?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the Rangers July swoon

But the reality is that the Rangers will return home Monday guaranteed to be alone in first place in the A.L. West. Every one of us absolutely would have taken that when spring training started. Every one of us absolutely would have been happy with a 3.5 game lead on July 21. What's alarming isn't the record -- tied with Boston for the second best in the A.L. -- or the fact the Rangers are "only" up 3.5 games, but the direction the arrow has been pointing. If this bad stretch had hit in May, instead of July, and we were 3.5 games up with a 55-41 record right now, we'd be feeling good. But because of the recency of the stretch of awful play, its creating panic.

So to reiterate -- am I concerned? Sure I'm concerned. I'm concerned about Yu's health, Perez and Griffin's performance the rest of the way, the quality and price of the starter the Rangers will go get, the reliability of the bullpen, the corner outfield spots, the production we're getting from first base...all those things are cause for concern.

But the Rangers are 3.5 games up in the A.L. West in late July, in position to add pieces via trade, with a couple of starting pitchers due back in a little over a month, and with guys like Nomar Mazara and Rougned Odor and Jurickson Profar and Ian Desmond who are fun to watch play.

Baseball is fun, you guys. Let's enjoy the rest of the season, and let's keep the faith that this team is going to be okay.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Martin Perez encouraged after loss

Perez left the game encouraged because he thinks he made the right adjustment after the first three innings. Perez discovered he was "flying" open with his right shoulder, a common problem for pitchers trying to overthrow. Pitchers under control with good mechanics keep the shoulder closed and moving straight toward home plate.

"I was pushing the ball inside [to the Angels' right-handed batters]," Perez said. "I was trying to throw my sinker away and it was running inside. I made the adjustment and that's why I think I will be better the next time. We'll see what happens in my next start."

Perez did allow just one run in his last three-plus innings as opposed to six in the first three innings. The big blow was the three-run home run in the first inning by Marte on a 3-0 pitch.

"It's been a challenge for Martin," Banister said. "It seems like it has been one inning in this stretch of games that seems to get away from him. This is a guy that still went deep in the game, kept trying to make pitches and find his rhythm.

"When Martin gets into this type of situation, the rhythm starts to speed up and the tempo starts to speed up. You see the body language. He knows that. It's OK to have emotions, just don't get emotional. Stay focused and stay in control."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have given Gerry Fraley a lot of grief over the years, but he was the only one reporting shortly after the trade that Prince's bat speed had declined in 2013.

Rangers appear to have missed warning signs for cursed Prince Fielder-for-Ian Kinsler trade | SportsDay

In November 2013, Daniels and then-Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski put their organization's talent-evaluation skills on the line with a pure my-guy-for-your-guy deal. The trade, pushed by Dombrowski, came together in less than 72 hours.

Dombrowski's eagerness to unload Fielder should have been a red flag.

Throughout the 2013 season, numerous scouts expressed shock at Fielder's decline. He had lost the ability to pull the ball in the air. Something was wrong with Fielder, scouts said.

In 2011 with Milwaukee, Fielder had 38 homers and a .566 slugging percentage. In 2013 with Detroit, Fielder had career lows for homers with 25 and slugging percentage at .457. He was terrible in the playoffs, with one extra-base hit in 40 at-bats.

Fielder returned last season from the first surgery and piled up the singles to hit .305 and drove in 98 runs but again did not pull pitches in the air. He had a .463 slugging percentage. This season has been a disaster along the lines of 2014 for Fielder and the Rangers.

Like everyone else, the scouts were unaware of Fielder's medical condition. They wondered if his problems were linked to body size.

Prince Fielder is a large, barrel-chested man. His father, Cecil, had the same body. Players of that size tend to lose it in a hurry because it is harder for them to get the bat through the hitting zone.

Cecil Fielder had 39 homers and 117 RBIs at age 32 in 1996. He played his final major-league game in 1998.

Cecil Fielder finished with 319 career homers. His son has 319 career homers.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just venting here so really these questions don't necessarily need answering.

Why has Perez and AJ completely forgotten how to pitch like both of them were pitching earlier this year? Why has Nick and Chi Chi completely forgotten how to at least get by in the big leagues like each has done in the past? Why has each of them and especially Chi Chi forgotten how to even be successful in AAA? Why has all of those things occurred simultaneously along with Colby and Derek getting hurt? What in the world is going on with this team's pitching?
Where is Mike Maddux when we need him? Cause something ain't right with our pitching staff.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is Mike Maddux when we need him? Cause something ain't right with our pitching staff.
I do wonder why Brocail didn't notice Perez "flying open". I wonder how long that has been going on without anyone noticing it.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dombrowski fleeced Daniels. No other way to look at it.

Sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the bug.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd call up Gallo and option Alberto back down at least while Choo is out

Also, I think sending down Hoying and bringing up another pitcher would be smart

Leaves a 3 man bench, with a lot of those guys able to play multiple positions (Rua, Profar, Gallo)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to keep up with how our ex-prospects are faring.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dombrowski fleeced Daniels. No other way to look at it.

Sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the bug.

Doesn't happen often, but I agree

And also agreeing with saddles in that there were enough red flags to warrant Fielder needing a physical, whether they would've caught the problem is irrelevant, you have to at least check

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to keep up with how our ex-prospects are faring.

He had a rough start in Philly, but he's been awesome this year, him and Alfaro are the ones I most hated seeing leave

That's why I hate giving away prospects to get rid of bad contracts

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a rough start in Philly, but he's been awesome this year, him and Alfaro are the ones I most hated seeing leave

Yep, if we would have just ate Matt's contract I believe Thompson would be pitching for the Rangers right now and we would have probably won a couple of more games. I hope we never do that again. In fact, I hope we can do the reverse of that sometime and bring in a pitcher like Thompson.

Matt's most recent injury makes it seem even worse as we would have recouped some from the insurance we had on him.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know our SP is in shambles right now, but when I see numbers from former prospects like Thompson and Eickoff, it really makes me hesitant to pull the trigger on any big trades.

In fact, unless we are receiving a TORP, I am 100% against any deal involving Profar, Gallo, Brinson or Tate.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree but in this case I do not mind having Hamels and Diekman. The deals with the Cubs have not turned out well and we lost some prospects there. Trying to get a team over the hump and into the WS is quite the crap shoot.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I think sending down Hoying and bringing up another pitcher would be smart

Leaves a 3 man bench, with a lot of those guys able to play multiple positions (Rua, Profar, Gallo)
Did we actually bring Hoying up? Hoying and Alberto are a waste. I agree with you guys on letting Gallo get some at bats at 1st. He could hit against LHers and Profar against RHers if we keep playing Moreland at 1st/DH as the other option.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, if we would have just ate Matt's contract I believe Thompson would be pitching for the Rangers right now and we would have probably won a couple of more games. I hope we never do that again. In fact, I hope we can do the reverse of that sometime and bring in a pitcher like Thompson.

Matt's most recent injury makes it seem even worse as we would have recouped some from the insurance we had on him.

I think the inclusion of Harrison in that deal cost us more of a Eickhoff type but the point still remains, he sure would be nice to have right about now

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but in this case I do not mind having Hamels and Diekman. The deals with the Cubs have not turned out well and we lost some prospects there. Trying to get a team over the hump and into the WS is quite the crap shoot.

I believe that including Harrison in that deal cost us someone like Eickhoff and that's unacceptable to me

No problems with getting Hamels and Deikman, but that's not what we're talking about here

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we actually bring Hoying up? Hoying and Alberto are a waste. I agree with you guys on letting Gallo get some at bats at 1st. He could hit against LHers and Profar against RHers if we keep playing Moreland at 1st/DH as the other option.

He's on the 25 man, and I think he has been for a while