• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random FF Thoughts

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think tyler higbee could be aloy better this year without goff, and without everett?

i obv was wrong this season, i was huge on him. I still cant figure out why they didnt use him more with the success both he and goff had at th end of the year last year. It wasnt even like they tried...

But yeah...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think tyler higbee could be aloy better this year without goff, and without everett?

i obv was wrong this season, i was huge on him. I still cant figure out why they didnt use him more with the success both he and goff had at th end of the year last year. It wasnt even like they tried...

But yeah...
Nope, in fact I expect a significant drop off in TE usage. That offense screams when it runs through Kupp and Woods, and while Stafford doesn't avoid his TE's, he definitely utilizes his outside receivers much more effectively than Goff ever did.

If the plan was to continue using TE's, why trade Goff? That's the one thing he was still good at.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, in fact I expect a significant drop off in TE usage. That offense screams when it runs through Kupp and Woods, and while Stafford doesn't avoid his TE's, he definitely utilizes his outside receivers much more effectively than Goff ever did.

If the plan was to continue using TE's, why trade Goff? That's the one thing he was still good at.
Yeah , i guess. But they werent really using them....he excelled, but they werent highly featured. I guess like you said stafford really should use his outside receivers alot more, and rightfully so. Jefferson and reynolds as 3-4 receivers bring some agility and speed to open it up as well. Guess i thougt maybe without everett...and wuth stafford exploiting the outside more, that higbee may be all alone in the short to intermediate range.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But yeah...

nope.

On the contrary, I never understood why they tried to force the TE thing. It made their offense terrible.
I expect their run game to keep growing.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope.

On the contrary, I never understood why they tried to force the TE thing. It made their offense terrible.
I expect their run game to keep growing.
Wasnt great. But they had more success going te heavy than they had prior to that the year before....goff was REALLY struggling. But yeah i agree on the run game.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah , i guess. But they werent really using them....he excelled, but they werent highly featured. I guess like you said stafford really should use his outside receivers alot more, and rightfully so. Jefferson and reynolds as 3-4 receivers bring some agility and speed to open it up as well. Guess i thougt maybe without everett...and wuth stafford exploiting the outside more, that higbee may be all alone in the short to intermediate range.
I'd say 120 targets between Everett and Higbee is 'being used'. It's about 50-60 more targets that a team with guys like Kupp and Woods should be wasting on TE's. Waller and Kelce had 145 each, only about 2 per game more.

My best guess is the positive side of Everett probably leaving, will be offset by using the TE less, leaving Higbe pretty much where he's at. Maybe a bump in end zone targets? Some of Stafford TE's have been decent TD scorers, some years.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say 120 targets between Everett and Higbee is 'being used'.
120 targets is nothing to sneeze at. But TE usage can depend on a variety of things.
Like maybe the TE is elite and has great hands. Maybe the WR corp stinks. Or maybe the QB cant be trusted and needs some easy completions to move the offense.
The latter may be the Goff-led Rams.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say 120 targets between Everett and Higbee is 'being used'. It's about 50-60 more targets that a team with guys like Kupp and Woods should be wasting on TE's. Waller and Kelce had 145 each, only about 2 per game more.

My best guess is the positive side of Everett probably leaving, will be offset by using the TE less, leaving Higbe pretty much where he's at. Maybe a bump in end zone targets? Some of Stafford TE's have been decent TD scorers, some years.
wow , i actually didnt realize the TE targets were that high, guess i should look a little harder.....

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
120 targets is nothing to sneeze at. But TE usage can depend on a variety of things.
Like maybe the TE is elite and has great hands. Maybe the WR corp stinks. Or maybe the QB cant be trusted and needs some easy completions to move the offense.
The latter may be the Goff-led Rams.
Yep, which is what leads me to believe the Stafford led lions won't be duplicating those results. The TE isn't elite..although he may have great hands, the WR Corp definitely doesn't stink..and Goff is gone :)

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But yeah...

Well here's the thing about tight ends. They can be very mediocre and still be very playable. Other than Kelce and Waller, they all sucked. Even in our tight end premium league (1 PPR for tight ends, .5 for all others) last year other than those two the rest of them were all very replaceable with each other. Logan Thomas finished 3rd in points with 180.62 Noah Fant was 10th with 149.3 and Tyler Higbee was 18th with 130.2. That's only 3 points per week difference now between 3rd and 18th and only a little over a 1 point difference between 18th and 10th, so he really doesn't have to gain much to be a top 10 tight end. After Kelce, Waller, and Kittle, there are like 15 guys that all could finish next and I feel like they are just as likely to finish in the top 10 as outside the top 10. The bottom line really is that if you don't have one of the top 3, then you are going to be guessing every week which of your guys is going to be worth a shit.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the current discussion topic is, “Los Angeles Rams Tight End utilization.”, I still am enjoying the fantasy banter in the midst of the Fantasy Football doldrums.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's the thing about tight ends. They can be very mediocre and still be very playable. Other than Kelce and Waller, they all sucked. Even in our tight end premium league (1 PPR for tight ends, .5 for all others) last year other than those two the rest of them were all very replaceable with each other. Logan Thomas finished 3rd in points with 180.62 Noah Fant was 10th with 149.3 and Tyler Higbee was 18th with 130.2. That's only 3 points per week difference now between 3rd and 18th and only a little over a 1 point difference between 18th and 10th, so he really doesn't have to gain much to be a top 10 tight end. After Kelce, Waller, and Kittle, there are like 15 guys that all could finish next and I feel like they are just as likely to finish in the top 10 as outside the top 10. The bottom line really is that if you don't have one of the top 3, then you are going to be guessing every week which of your guys is going to be worth a shit.
I was curious how this compared to WRs in the league. # Diggs averaged 16.6 , Evans #10 13.4 ( so 3.2 difference per game) JuJU #18 11.9
So the difference between # 3 and # 18 at WR is 4.7 per week so wider difference by a bit but not really huge and the difference between #10 and #18 at WR was just 1.5 dang near the same.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious how this compared to WRs in the league. # Diggs averaged 16.6 , Evans #10 13.4 ( so 3.2 difference per game) JuJU #18 11.9
So the difference between # 3 and # 18 at WR is 4.7 per week so wider difference by a bit but not really huge and the difference between #10 and #18 at WR was just 1.5 dang near the same.

that's where layering in position scarcity comes in - we can start 4 WRs any given week, so WR18 is damn near locked into a starting spot whereas TE18 is replaceable and possibly even a cut candidate

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's where layering in position scarcity comes in - we can start 4 WRs any given week, so WR18 is damn near locked into a starting spot whereas TE18 is replaceable and possibly even a cut candidate
It was a bad year for WR. Theyre generally more consistent than RB. But in 2020 they were worse.

In our annual ranking game, only 5 of the first 12 WR drafted finished in the top 12.

^^^ this is the right thread but the wrong post.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Trudem gets upset about Aaron Rodgers trade talks.
Same might be true with Harold and the Russell Wilson rumors.
"Will never happen," they say.
Perhaps.
But consider these 3 scenarios of high-profile players:

Jay Cutler in Denver
"We don't want to trade Jay [Cutler]," McDaniels told the newspaper. "He's our quarterback."
Source: Broncos QB Cutler miffed at the team after trade talks surface

Khalil Mack in Oakland
Gruden said… "We wanted to sign [Khalil] Mack, OK? We didn't want to trade him.”
Source: Jon Gruden 'didn't want to trade' Khalil Mack to Bears, All-Pro ready to make Raiders 'pay for it' in Week 5

Tom Brady in New England
The feeling around the NFL is that free agent Tom Brady will re-sign with the Patriots - and get some help. A former New England staffer says Bill Belichick knows he can’t win with any other available QB.”
Source: NFL rumors: If Patriots re-sign Tom Brady, look for these free agents to end up in New England

Situations may seem unlikely. But they still happen every so often.