• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for Charger's fans

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also say I'd be glad looking back if we had passed on both Gordon AND Abdullah because they have both been plagued by fumbling and injury issues.

Was it as bad as Brandon Taylor in the 3rd in 2013? I'd argue it's right up there.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Moab Did I mention he can't pass block to save his life?

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with all due respect, even havinga 200 yard game, hes STILL at 3.9YPC for the season
Okay? I didn't say he was the best RB in football I said he's having a solid season which includes catching the ball and scoring the ball. And with him having half of his games over 4 YPC and half under it, I'm not surprised overall it's just under 4. Would I like to see him get that to around 4.5? Yes, and maybe he will by seasons end. I think he has room to improve especially if the offense around him gets better through draft/FA.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was an early 2nd rounder coming out of college.

The big knock was that he never made anyone miss in college unless he just ran past people which is super rare in the NFL unless you're running behind the Cowboys oline. I think the scout who was evaluating his college film said he broke one tackle all year or something silly like that. I think people were comparing him to Jamaal Charles but I didnt see that level of speed.

Bust is a harsh term and I've used it to describe him but I think I would just settle with saying that he is mediocre and was overdrafted.

Todd Gurley and Zeke are much more interesting prospects because one is running behind a bad oline with no passing options and the other is running behind the best oline with better passing options/coaching. I feel like Melvin Gordon is just good enough to stay on the Chargers for awhile but not good enough to be a star.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to the last three games, Melvin Gordon sucked. Running with the intent to elude--whether attempting to elude defenders in the backfield with cuts, or attempting to elude defenders with cuts, past the line-of-scrimmage--and not hitting the hole, immediately--was the approach of Melvin. In these last three games, Melvin has embraced the North-and-South style of running; this style suites his physical build and his skill set. Personally, I don't think Melvin is a running back that can run to make defenders miss with elusiveness. He tried to run that way, and had very little success.

There was something else I said about Melvin: if he runs to the hole immediately and runs behind the push, immediately, Melvin would run for 20 more yards per game.

As a receiver, Melvin is serviceable. Other than being covered by a good cover LB, Melvin can hurt defenses as a receiver.

There's an unusual idea I have to benefit Melvin and the Chargers, in terms of winning the Super Bowl. Melvin is receiving too many carries. Granted, there's no Woodhead. However, I believe that we can possibly upgrade from a Woodhead, in the 2017 NFL Draft. If the RB Cook--from Florida State--slips in the draft, we could pick him, with idea to use him as a 2nd RB. Cook will bring a change-of-pace to Melvin. There's a possibility that Cook could receive an equal amount of carries that Melvin receives. It's an unusual idea by me, because I don't like to draft RB's in the 1st round, unless that RB has a chance to provide a Hall-of-Famer's production. There's, definately, no exception to my paradigm for a back-up RB. This unusual thought--of mine--was created, because the Chargers don't have many other pieces to gain to give them an excellent chance to win the Super Bowl. Cook might be the kid of whom can get the Chargers to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy--the last piece the Chargers would need to acquire via draft or from free agency.

Remember experts, Allen, Verrett and others will return, in 2017. From various Mock Drafts, I saw the Chargers selecting that Strong from LSU, or Cam from Alabama, or a WR from some mid-major D-1 school. Again, Cook would probably be the best to select for the Chargers, in the 1st round, in the 2017 Draft.

In the latter rounds and free agency, the Chargers can worry about possibly signing a Strong or an OT. It wouldn't make sense to sign another Strong when the Chargers' DB's have procured many coverage sacks and out-of-bounds attempts, this season. ...this is without Addai--our starting Strong.

Cooks is an incredible RB so wouldn't knock them for taking him if he falls to them in the draft. The one thing though I don't agree with is that you expect all those players to come back. Most of the guys that are injured on the Chargers team are multiple injury type players. I'm just not sure you can count on them to stay healthy at this point moving forward. I look at a guy like Verrett who I think is about as underrated a corner as there is in the league but he plays with a physicality that just doesn't fit his body type. I would add that you can never have too many high quality Corners with the way the league is today. So taking a Corner in the 1st isn't a bad decision even when you have good to great starters. Heck there are some on the Broncos board hoping the Broncos use another 1st round pick on a Corner this year even with Roby, Harris, and Talib to make sure we keep developing at such an important position.

And right now I wouldn't say the Chargers are one great RB away from being in the Super Bowl. The OL is about as inconsistent as any in the league. How many more high quality years can you expect from Rivers so is this the year you look for the guy to develop to take his position? On defense a playmaking safety wouldn't be the worst thing to add as I would say that group is ok but not great. Really though hard to tell what is needed draft wise until after FA. Cap wise the Chargers are not in terrible shape but not in great shape either so more than likely just adding some complimentary pieces more so than a game changing type player. They also have some big FA decisions this off season that could eat up most of that cap space. They do have some contracts they could get rid of that would help them out like Antonio Gates or DJ Fluker if they decide to move on from him.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO,the OL is just really bad... It would be even tough for Bell, E. Elliott to run behind that OL... He's showing signs of being a solid back... He's the least of their problems on that team...

Todd Gurley isn't productive now either due to the poor coaching on the offensive side of the ball, shady OL and bad QB situation... Is he a bust? I would say no.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO,the OL is just really bad... It would be even tough for Bell, E. Elliott to run behind that OL... He's showing signs of being a solid back... He's the least of their problems on that team...

Todd Gurley isn't productive now either due to the poor coaching on the offensive side of the ball, shady OL and bad QB situation... Is he a bust? I would say no.
Chargers are a top 3 offense when healthy, though. Rams are a bottom 3 offense always.

Woodhead and Gordon's rushing stats lineup almost identical as a YPC over the past 2 years I do believe. Not bad but not good, either.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay? I didn't say he was the best RB in football I said he's having a solid season which includes catching the ball and scoring the ball. And with him having half of his games over 4 YPC and half under it, I'm not surprised overall it's just under 4. Would I like to see him get that to around 4.5? Yes, and maybe he will by seasons end. I think he has room to improve especially if the offense around him gets better through draft/FA.
his YPC puts him around 30th in the league at efficiency there

notables ahead of him
Tim hightower
Theo Riddick-yes seriously he has a better YPC and he cant run at all, catch yes, not run
matt jones
Jaquizz rodgers
Crowell
Chris ivory
ryan mathews
christine michael

all guys thought to be monsters

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers are a top 3 offense when healthy, though. Rams are a bottom 3 offense always.

Woodhead and Gordon's rushing stats lineup almost identical as a YPC over the past 2 years I do believe. Not bad but not good, either.
winner

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his YPC puts him around 30th in the league at efficiency there

notables ahead of him
Tim hightower
Theo Riddick-yes seriously he has a better YPC and he cant run at all, catch yes, not run
matt jones
Jaquizz rodgers
Crowell
Chris ivory
ryan mathews
christine michael

all guys thought to be monsters
You're right, they're all better than Melvin Gordon because they have a higher YPC. Let's ignore that Gordon has had a heavier workload, with 217 carries(most in the NFL) while most of them don't even sit at 100 and none have more than 121. Not to mention his nearly 350 yards receiving and getting into the end zone 11 times, which has been a problem at times for the Chargers offense. But I guess none of that matters because his YPC isn't over 4.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Moab Did I mention he can't pass block to save his life?

I saw that play, and it caused a sack, int, Rivers to end up on IR? To be fair, if that was your lover Abdullah, he'd be on next years IR from that collision...

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This year has absolutely sucked for injuries. Allen stung. Like really bad. He was playing as dominant as he was right before the lacerated kidney the year before. Can't catch a fucking break.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, they're all better than Melvin Gordon because they have a higher YPC. Let's ignore that Gordon has had a heavier workload, with 217 carries(most in the NFL) while most of them don't even sit at 100 and none have more than 121. Not to mention his nearly 350 yards receiving and getting into the end zone 11 times, which has been a problem at times for the Chargers offense. But I guess none of that matters because his YPC isn't over 4.
well, it means hes the only back left standing, and hes getting a bulk of his yards from sheer volume.......

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year has absolutely sucked for injuries. Allen stung. Like really bad. He was playing as dominant as he was right before the lacerated kidney the year before. Can't catch a fucking break.
guy cant catch a break, hes a freaking monster

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also you realize theres only 1 rb with over 200 carries and only 5 total with 175 or more

also 18 total with 110+ and three of those have 110-115.......so yes your point of him being durable is taken

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, it means hes the only back left standing, and hes getting a bulk of his yards from sheer volume.......
I understand he's getting a big workload because of injuries, but the more a RB carries the ball the less likely he is to sustain a higher YPC. Elite RB's or ones with great offensive lines might be able to keep it up all year, but listing guys who have a higher YPC with 100 less carries doesn't mean it'd be the same if they had the same workload as Gordon.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand he's getting a big workload because of injuries, but the more a RB carries the ball the less likely he is to sustain a higher YPC. Elite RB's or ones with great offensive lines might be able to keep it up all year, but listing guys who have a higher YPC with 100 less carries doesn't mean it'd be the same if they had the same workload as Gordon.
well thers like 30 of them, the odds are ok that a good bit would

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well thers like 30 of them, the odds are ok that a good bit would
Good to know, I'm sure a number of them are having solid seasons like Melvin Gordon.