• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I like Alex Smith and there is something to be said that he could take what should've been a train wreck of a career and salvage it into becoming a effective starting QB but it's time to move to CK.

We might lose another game or two with CK in there over Smith but in the long run it would be worth it to get CK ready for the playoffs.

Also we all know the plan was for CK to take the starting gig next season. The fact that Jenkins and LMJ have been inactive this entire season tells me the plan is to have them grow with CK and not Smith. So since he's clearly ready to start now you might as well let him take the young QB lumps the rest of the way so he doesn't have too next season.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that has a lot to do with the fact that the Cardinal personnel decisions are made by a monkey flinging poo at a list of prospective players.

You would think they would have realize that all the QB's that come out of Andy Reids system tend to suck wouldn't you? Has there been 1 QB under Reid that went to another team and became a Pro-Bowl level player?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just don't agree with that a all. The Bears looked terrible - I think they laid an egg just like we have a couple times this year.

I do agree that our two QBs go about it differently. But the end results really aren't that different, you really can't see Smith Putting up the exact same numbers Kap did? 243 on 16/23 with 2 tds and 0 ints sounds like a Stat line I've seen quite a few times the past year and a half.

Anyway doesn't matter, Kap looked great, Smith has looked just as good at times this year, Niners are 7-2-1 and I am happy. Harbaugh has an interesting decision in front of him.

You don't agree with it at ALL? You don't agree that Kaepernick brings things to the offense that Smith simply can't do?

Do we have to do a step by step breakdown of the physical talents of the two QBs? Even with Kaep missing the big plays to Davis, at least the threat exists. Smith doesn't attempt those throws.

Kaep's 243 yards would have been Smith's second highest total of the season. Smith had a fantastic game against Arizona where he attempted 19 passes. He had a great game against the vaunted Buffalo Bills on 24 attempts. The other two games he played four quarters of where he attempted close to Kaep's 23 passes from tonight he threw for 140 yards (Seattle) and 143 yards (NYJ) He threw 1 TD and 1 INT in those two games combined.

[In 2011 Smith had 6 games where he attempted between 23 and 26 passes. His yardage totals were 179, 177, 200, 140, 274 and 179. He threw 2+ TDs in ONE of those 6 games and 0 TDs in TWO. He threw interceptions in two of those games (both were games with 1 TD)]

I would say a game like this from Smith is an extreme rarity. In all games under Harbaugh Smith has had a YPA >10 three times.

Edit to add info in square brackets

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then you're blind

No. No, I'm not. I watched him under every tenure. He blossomed under Turner. Then he has been Alex Smith until Harbaugh arrived.

Keep rooting for him, though. He's clearly done in the NFL. Maybe he can pick it up for your favorite UFL team.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Alex Smith and there is something to be said that he could take what should've been a train wreck of a career and salvage it into becoming a effective starting QB but it's time to move to CK.

We might lose another game or two with CK in there over Smith but in the long run it would be worth it to get CK ready for the playoffs.

Also we all know the plan was for CK to take the starting gig next season. The fact that Jenkins and LMJ have been inactive this entire season tells me the plan is to have them grow with CK and not Smith. So since he's clearly ready to start now you might as well let him take the young QB lumps the rest of the way so he doesn't have too next season.

Here is the problem with that. We might not be as good a team next year with our Cap Space and pending free agents. Time will tell on that but we are set to lose a few players more than likely, and in case you have not noticed we don't have a lot of proven depth on defense.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. He re-claimed his starting job from Hill in 2009, and played pretty well in 2010 despite Singletary's poor coaching. 2011 though was really his breakout year though and showed just how much difference a real coach makes for a team. He is on pace to have another career year in 2012 if Kaep does not replace him. I'd venture to say Alex is having a pro-bowl caliber year though I know some will dispute that.

They were 30th in the league passing last year. Smith will never sniff a pro-bowl without a ticket.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Williams did his job and got away from the football on that punt the niners would have won the super bowl with Smith at QB.

Alex was 12-26 in that game... I think you can make a case that Alex didn't do his job completely either...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. No, I'm not. I watched him under every tenure. He blossomed under Turner. Then he has been Alex Smith until Harbaugh arrived.

Keep rooting for him, though. He's clearly done in the NFL. Maybe he can pick it up for your favorite UFL team.

i've been rooting for him as a 49er, i couldn't give a shit about him if he's on another team...

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, so many people letting one win against a team, albeit a good team, who game planned totally wrong want to make a major move with only 6 games till the playoffs.

I agree Collen is the QB of the future, just wait till next season or if Smith is injured. Smith has the experience of playoff football. He has experienced a comeback in the playoffs. He has seen the blitzes. Smith is one of the best QBs against the blitz for a reason. Smith is 3rd in QB rating. Right in between Peyton and Brady.

I think people just need to calm down and relax. But, if Harbaugh gives Kaep the nod at qb ill support him 100%.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is the problem with that. We might not be as good a team next year with our Cap Space and pending free agents. Time will tell on that but we are set to lose a few players more than likely, and in case you have not noticed we don't have a lot of proven depth on defense.

More of a reason to let Smith go... Saves us money!

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex was 12-26 in that game... I think you can make a case that Alex didn't do his job completely either...

I think you can make case that the receivers didn't help the cause as well.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So without Harbaugh Smith will totally forget how to manage a game and read defenses and protect the ball? A second round pick is not too high to ask for. How many more games would the Eagles have won if Vick knew how to protect the ball?

Hell Kolb blows and he was traded for a second and a probowl safety. GMs will trade for QBs. They always have and they always will.

How many games have the Eagles won because of plays Vick can make with his feet or his arm that Smith can't make in Madden?

Kolb has already been addressed. That being said, he was traded for a CB, not a safety. And he had some very big games in Philly before he was traded. He was a QB that many saw potential greatness in.

Is Smith going to improve with a new offense and new coaching staff? Will he become head and shoulders better than he is right now?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, so many people letting one win against a team, albeit a good team, who game planned totally wrong want to make a major move with only 6 games till the playoffs.

I agree Collen is the QB of the future, just wait till next season or if Smith is injured. Smith has the experience of playoff football. He has experienced a comeback in the playoffs. He has seen the blitzes. Smith is one of the best QBs against the blitz for a reason. Smith is 3rd in QB rating. Right in between Peyton and Brady.

I think people just need to calm down and relax. But, if Harbaugh gives Kaep the nod at qb ill support him 100%.

You're the one claiming the 49ers can trade Alex for a 1st or 2nd rounder...

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive. We've seen it a million times. How much equity does one drive buy a QB?

Don't forget about the drive before that when he ran for the TD. Don't forget about the NFL leading come from behind wins in the 4th quarter by Smith last season.

I love how people have selective memories when it comes to a player they dislike.

And I am not saying Smith is a great QB but he is a good QB.