• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get to see the game. But that is encouraging if Kap was making presnap reads. That and ball security was a big worry I had going into the game.

Yeah, he was surprisingly very good at that considering he is just a 2nd year guy. Typically 2nd year QBs aren't very good at that... or easily get baited by defenses.

He did one weird thing with that during the game though. He did the Kill-Kill-Kill call and then a little later said let it roll, let it roll... on the same play. So it makes me wonder if the 49ers do that call just to try and keep the defenses on their toes.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you are a hater who cant view things objectively. Sanchez better than Smith? Really? How about Palmer? what is he better than Smith at? Throwing INTs? Everyone of those teams and Tenn would have a better record with Smith playing QB. I might include Philly and Car too, but im not too sure that the teams are willing yet to make a QB change.

Palmer had two MVP type seasons before he got traded. And the guy that traded for him anyways was fired.

Pull your head out of your ass. Alex Smith isn't getting anything more than a 4th or 5th round pick on the open market.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to do more than upgrade though. You need to become a contender with him. Has Alex Smith had a season that can stand up to what Palmer did before the knee injury?

Which of those teams above becomes a contender with Alex Smith? And why the hell would Miami or Cinci be interested? Your just throwing teams at the wall to see what sticks.

Actually I am throwing out teams who would have a better record with decent QB play. Dalton I agree is iffy, he is on par with Smith, but Tannehill sucks and while he might get to be a good QB, the team might just want a mentor like Dilfer did with the niners.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And you are a hater who cant view things objectively. Sanchez better than Smith? Really? How about Palmer? what is he better than Smith at? Throwing INTs? Everyone of those teams and Tenn would have a better record with Smith playing QB. I might include Philly and Car too, but im not too sure that the teams are willing yet to make a QB change.

You aren't sure if Carolina or Philly is ready to make a QB change, but you're confident Miami is ready to give up on Tannehil and Cincinnati on Dalton?

To pretend that Smith is physically capable of doing what someone like Palmer is capable of is asinine.

How many throws did Kaep make today where you thought "Smith can't make that throw?"

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta disagree Hang - I think without Harbaugh, Smith is honestly nothing more than a back-up QB or a stop-gap starter at most.

Without Harbaugh, Smith is out of the league. I'm honestly shocked that people are actually arguing this.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a tough question. I'd say if Alex gives you an excuse - a headache, whatever, you give Kaepernick the start next week. If not, it's Smith. The reality is Alex Smith was just playing way too well. I'll say this, though, Alex Smith isn't capable of what Colin Kaepernick is. In my mind, Colin will be the full time starter one day. Maybe tomorrow.

smith most likely has a headache from watching kap run away with his job

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I am throwing out teams who would have a better record with decent QB play. Dalton I agree is iffy, he is on par with Smith, but Tannehill sucks and while he might get to be a good QB, the team might just want a mentor like Dilfer did with the niners.

There isn't a single team in the NFL that would take Alex over Dalton. None. I'd trade Alex Smith for Andy Dalton in a heartbeat.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dalton last year was a better QB than Smith has ever been.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't come to play because Kaepernick brings things to the offense that we can't even pretend to show with Smith.

He was of course buoyed by the suspicion all week that Smith would play. But Smith doesn't have the game that Kaep does against the Bears because Smith CAN'T have the game Kaep did. He is physically incapable of that game.

Physically incapable and I would add mentally incapable as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They didn't come to play because Kaepernick brings things to the offense that we can't even pretend to show with Smith.

Exactly! No more 11 men in the box.

If I ever see Alex on the field again in a Niner uniform it'll be too soon.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My plan would be to have Alex Smith QB the rest of the season because I feel he brings the niners a better chance in this playoffs tow win the super bowl. Next Season I would have Kaep be the starter. I thought that was the plan from the time the niners drafted him. 2 years on the bench and then become the starter. And if they dont trade smith, he would be a good back up just in case.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, he was surprisingly very good at that considering he is just a 2nd year guy. Typically 2nd year QBs aren't very good at that... or easily get baited by defenses.

He did one weird thing with that during the game though. He did the Kill-Kill-Kill call and then a little later said let it roll, let it roll... on the same play. So it makes me wonder if the 49ers do that call just to try and keep the defenses on their toes.

This was on a 3rd down on the last drive (last play before the kneel down I believe). He killed the original play, the Bears shifted the DL, and he switched back to the first play. I believe the play sequence went:

In the huddle - run up the middle right
Killed to - run up the middle left
Bears shift DL to the left of the offense
Let it roll - back to run up the middle to the right

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't sure if Carolina or Philly is ready to make a QB change, but you're confident Miami is ready to give up on Tannehil and Cincinnati on Dalton?

To pretend that Smith is physically capable of doing what someone like Palmer is capable of is asinine.

How many throws did Kaep make today where you thought "Smith can't make that throw?"

My answer is none. Because the throws that Kaep was making, Smith would have checked down, because HE knows he can't make them.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Smith always thought the guy had a lot of heart. I do recognize his limitations as a QB but under Harbaugh he has taking care of the ball. With that said I want us to win another Super bowl sooner rather then later and who ever can get us there is who I'm going with.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

So they're going to trade for a high draft pick for a mentor? That's the case you want to make right now?

How good was Smith pre-Harbaugh? Will teams be getting Harbaugh if they trade for Smith as well? Would he at least come with Roman or Crist?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Harbaugh, Smith is out of the league. I'm honestly shocked that people are actually arguing this.

he was turning things around before harbaugh was here...

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to do more than upgrade though. You need to become a contender with him. Has Alex Smith had a season that can stand up to what Palmer did before the knee injury?

Which of those teams above becomes a contender with Alex Smith? And why the hell would Miami or Cinci be interested? Your just throwing teams at the wall to see what sticks.

Just imagine how this question might be perceived if Harbaugh and Roman had been around since his 2nd or 3rd year in the league?

Alex in a lot of ways was ruined by bad coaching and consistently changing offenses. It's a bit of shame too since he has shown here in the last year and half just how good he can be with some stability around him. Harbaugh will get all the credit for what Alex has accomplished, but it's not like Harbaugh has been the one on field making the plays. Alex deserves a lot of credit for the way he has turned his career around. The problem is that first 6 years really ruined him. He would have to be playing at Manning or Brady levels to shake off the bad vibes from those early years.

Kaep on the other hand is running on a clean slate. We have no pre-conceived notions of what he is or what to expect. Therefore after a game like tonight it's easy to believe the sky is the limit. We have no history to suggest otherwise.

I agree with Harbaugh's comment tonight. The 49ers have 2 QB's with a hot hand playing mistake free football right now. It's to bad you have to go with one or the other as both guys clearly deserve it after tonight.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was of course buoyed by the suspicion all week that Smith would play. But Smith doesn't have the game that Kaep does against the Bears because Smith CAN'T have the game Kaep did. He is physically incapable of that game.

I just don't agree with that a all. The Bears looked terrible - I think they laid an egg just like we have a couple times this year.

I do agree that our two QBs go about it differently. But the end results really aren't that different, you really can't see Smith Putting up the exact same numbers Kap did? 243 on 16/23 with 2 tds and 0 ints sounds like a Stat line I've seen quite a few times the past year and a half.

Anyway doesn't matter, Kap looked great, Smith has looked just as good at times this year, Niners are 7-2-1 and I am happy. Harbaugh has an interesting decision in front of him.