• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tweet from Mike Sando "Back from 49ers locker room. No one, including Harbaugh, discouraged idea that Kaepernick might have won job. No rain on this parade"

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds we don't know who the starter is going to be until Sunday? Anyone think Harbaugh will just spend the whole week deflecting the question instead of answering it?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill agree on the pass rush side cuz kap had time. But his throws were money. And yes I feel the wr beat the bears defenders easil so it made it easy but he placed some solid balls in there.

Time will tell

His throws were money for sure he looked very good. Looked like we were playing the Cleveland Browns though... I'll be interested to see how he handles the pressure from a playoff caliber D. I hope he keeps looking great, but I'm not completely sold yet.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is a tough question. I'd say if Alex gives you an excuse - a headache, whatever, you give Kaepernick the start next week. If not, it's Smith. The reality is Alex Smith was just playing way too well. I'll say this, though, Alex Smith isn't capable of what Colin Kaepernick is. In my mind, Colin will be the full time starter one day. Maybe tomorrow.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh/Roman made Alex Smith, and they can make Kaepernick too. Play him now, get him ready for the post-season and next year.

Yep.

C-ya, Alex. I know you were smart with your money, so I'm not gonna feel bad for you when the door hits you in the ass.

Anybody else catch how pissed he looked in the fourth quarter?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade one during the off season for a Shaub or a Kolb type deal. Use those picks to trade up in a draft to get the next Luck

No one is trading a 1st or 2nd rounder for Smith. Don't kid yourself.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am for Kap also

Don't trade Kap no matter what though. He is still a future prospect no matter what Harbaugh chooses. I could see trading Smith to the Chiefs maybe, but to soon to trade Kaepernick

I couldn't see trading Smith for an empty bag of chips and my 2004 moldy ham sammich. Miami didn't want him in the offseason. What possible trade value does he have?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they could get a Kolb or Schaub type deal largely because of the age of Smith.

Kolb and Schaub were also both largely unknowns with minimal game experience. As you said, people know who Smith is already. No one's looking at him thinking he could be a play maker at QB. With Kolb and Schaub it was possible to talk yourself into star potential. Even under Harbaugh Smith is not a star.

That's true too, with Schaub and Kolb there was that air of hope that they just scratched the surface. That certainly isn't there for Smith, there isn't much hope that he'd be amazing without Harbaugh.

I only think they have a chance at moving him because of how friendly his contract is... as a free agent he'd probably get a good amount of guaranteed money where this one basically has no guaranteed money, right?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@maioccoCSN 49ers TE Vernon Davis: "I felt like somebody took the handcuffs off me."

That is a big quote from Davis IMO because I always felt he was Smith's biggest supporter on the offense.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they could get a Kolb or Schaub type deal largely because of the age of Smith.

Kolb and Schaub were also both largely unknowns with minimal game experience. As you said, people know who Smith is already. No one's looking at him thinking he could be a play maker at QB. With Kolb and Schaub it was possible to talk yourself into star potential. Even under Harbaugh Smith is not a star.

This.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys do realize Alex was 25/27 with 4 TD's and no Int's in the last game and a half right? I'd say his MNF performance over the Cards is better than what Kaep did tonight. They were both against what are suppose to be top 5 Defenses in the NFL. They key similarity in both games though is we played horrible offenses that our D was able to destroy.

It's not an easy decision to pull a QB with one of the highest passer ratings in the league and replace him with the backup that had 1 good game.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@maioccoCSN 49ers TE Vernon Davis: "I felt like somebody took the handcuffs off me."

That is a big quote from Davis IMO because I always felt he was Smith's biggest supporter on the offense.

Besides the handful of blind groupies on this board, anyone can see that Alex Smith was holding this offense back. Nothing that he does makes the players around him BETTER.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys do realize Alex was 25/27 with 4 TD's and no Int's in the last game and a half right? I'd say his MNF performance over the Cards is better than what Kaep did tonight. They were both against what are suppose to be top 5 Defenses in the NFL. They key similarity in both games though is we played horrible offenses that our D was able to destroy.

It's not an easy decision to pull a QB with one of the highest passer ratings in the league and replace him with the backup that had 1 good game.

The Cards are terrible. The Bears are a legitimate defense.

Alex Smith is clearly holding this team back.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of the league are shitting themselves after this game. Putting a QB that can push the ball down the field like CK7 on a team that has an elite defense and running game? Unfair.

Of couse that's IF Kaep starts and IF he continues to play well.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards are terrible. The Bears are a legitimate defense.

Alex Smith is clearly holding this team back.

So terrible they picked off Matt Ryan 5 times and almost beat the 8-1 Atlanta Falcons on the road? Are you serious? The Cards D is legit.

I just worry about the Troy Smith effect changing QB's might have. If Singletary had just realized Troy had 1 great game and gone back to Alex we probably would have made the playoffs that year. He stuck with Troy though until we lost a few and he got fired. Alex comes back and we miss the playoffs by a game. What happens if you go with Kaep and he lays an egg down in New Orleans?

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of the league are shitting themselves after this game. Putting a QB that can push the ball down the field like CK7 on a team that has an elite defense and running game? Unfair.

Of couse that's IF Kaep starts and IF he continues to play well.

IF he plays poorly, we're no worse than we are with Smith as the starter.