• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, see that right there would be the problem Junior, we are not in that range - we are in the 185-195 YPG range.

To be fair you can't include the game against the Rams he didn't finish - that's the 192 per game you're talking about. Without that he's at 207 per game. Not exactly great heheh but still fair is fair - and it's been enough to get us to 7-2-1.

Whatever Harbaugh does I'm good with - unless it backfires haha!

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to put my 2 cents into this...

Alex Smith has really redeemed himself in the last couple years. Sometimes he seems untouchable (like that game in AZ) but here is the factor in all of this. Alex Smith is a great QB when he is not under pressure (darn near the top of the charts!) but when he is pressured he is one of the worst QB's in the league.. This stat really shows that he cannot make plays out of nothing and we have to have that if we are going to win the Super Bowl. After watching Andrew Luck for the first time on Indy, it really brought me back to reality what a great QB is capable of doing.

Kaepernick is very capable of making plays out of nothing with his speed and arm accuracy. What I loved about Kaepernick last night is there was no panic or jitteryness when trying to make a play, he also does not have tunnel vision at all like Smith does. In the playoffs we have to have a QB that can laugh at pressure and keep drives going. Alex Smith showed he can do that against the Saints with a lack of pressure in his face. Against the Giants he crumbled completing only what, one first down on 3rd down in 12-13 attempts? He sucks against the best most complete teams and that is what I think we all worry about!

Bottom line, I think Kae is mature enough to take over this team and utilize the receivers like Smith could not. I like Smith, I think he's a decent QB but he is not going to win games against teams like Ravens, Giants, Texans. I think we all know that by now...

Alex would have had a great game yesterday then because we faced almost no pressure. I am interested to see what Kap does when faced with a little adversity in a game. I thought he would be in that situation yesterday but our OL manhandled those little cubs. I think Kap played great and showed he can be a player - but if you're honest you have to admit he had it pretty easy yesterday as far as: WR open all day, no pressure, running game unstoppable and D playing fantastic.

I think he will be able to handle a D atthe top of its game eventually (maybe even as early next week) but I still worry that against a D actually playing well he would be prone to turnovers as his 2 fumbles against the Rams indicated. If he gets to stay in there and plays like this against the Saints he's the new QB, I don't see how Harbaugh could decide any other way.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick or Alex Smith? San Francisco 49ers must pick - NFL.com

Charlie Casserly and Steve Wyche is the strongest pro-Alex argument, IMO. Jason Smith and Adam Rank are the strongest pro-Kaep arguments. I think some of the pro-Smith went overboard, but whatever.

Daniel and Charley make the best points out of them all.

Daniel basically says you go back to Alex, and if he keeps playing at the level he was all things are good. If his level play drops though you know you have a QB on the sideline that could potentially give the team a spark. This is honestly probably the safe way to go about a QB change.

Charley though points out that Kaep's best drives came on the opening series of the 1st and 3rd quarter. Those are series usually heavily scripted before hand. If you take those 2 drives out then he only had a 50% completion rate. He also says the Bears defense is not hard to read and prepare for as they don't do much to try and fool an offense. The Saints however will mix things up and give the 49ers many different looks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There seem to be a few references to our bottom 5 passing yards per game...

Does it count for nothing that the 49ers, in 2012, are ranked #1 for passing yards per attempt, #1 for passing completion %, tied 2nd for turnovers, 3rd in passer rating, and 4th in first down %? Those stats include Kaep's efforts as well, but suggesting we have an awful passing game with Smith seems unfair.

Having said that, I'd like to see Kaep take over immediately.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too all the people in this thread who said I was wrong about the Niners getting a Kolb, Schuab type deal can kiss my ass.

I was wrong about Smith giving the niners a better shot at the super bowl though. Kaepernick did a great job and learned a lot this season.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I ever say a first? I said a shaub or Kolb type trade. One was for 2 seconds and swapping first round picks and one was for 1 second and a player.

Smith can be traded for a second round pick easily. heck teams draft QBs they hope to become back ups in the 3rd round. In smith they would have a sure back up at worse.

Lol.

I can't believe you're clinging to this. Really. Smith is a 7th round trade AT BEST.

wartyOne, next time you might listen to someone who is more intelligent

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too all the people in this thread who said I was wrong about the Niners getting a Kolb, Schuab type deal can kiss my ass.

I was wrong about Smith giving the niners a better shot at the super bowl though. Kaepernick did a great job and learned a lot this season.

The pick we got was a crapshoot, but thinking Smith wasn't holding us back was just asinine. :2cents:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick we got was a crapshoot, but thinking Smith wasn't holding us back was just asinine. :2cents:

If you mean holding us back from the 1 play to reach the Super Bowl to 1 play to win a Super Bowl plateau, then yeah I guess he was holding us back.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you mean holding us back from the 1 play to reach the Super Bowl to 1 play to win a Super Bowl plateau, then yeah I guess he was holding us back.

A couple thoughts, here.

First, the "1 play" away from the super bowl apparently envisions a single explosive passing play that resulted in a TD or got us into FG range. We had two scoring drives in the second half and OT. Both started at our 46 or better. With the exception of the third-down pass to Walker that ended regulation, we didn't cross mid-field in the second half and OT. In fact, the other seven drives accounted for only 69 yards if we don't consider the Walker pass. Calling that "one play" is hardly comparable to a first-and-goal from the seven.

Second, our D was incomparably better in last year's playoffs than they were this year. They forced five turnovers against the Saints, and held arguably the most explosive offense in NFL history in check for three-and-a-half quarters. And they held the Giants to 20 points, 10 of them off turnovers which provided very short fields. This year, they completely buckled in the first half of the Falcons and Ravens games.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple thoughts, here.

First, the "1 play" away from the super bowl apparently envisions a single explosive passing play that resulted in a TD or got us into FG range. We had two scoring drives in the second half and OT. Both started at our 46 or better. With the exception of the third-down pass to Walker that ended regulation, we didn't cross mid-field in the second half and OT. In fact, the other seven drives accounted for only 69 yards if we don't consider the Walker pass. Calling that "one play" is hardly comparable to a first-and-goal from the seven.

Second, our D was incomparably better in last year's playoffs than they were this year. They forced five turnovers against the Saints, and held arguably the most explosive offense in NFL history in check for three-and-a-half quarters. And they held the Giants to 20 points, 10 of them off turnovers which provided very short fields. This year, they completely buckled in the first half of the Falcons and Ravens games.

You're right I should have said Smith prevented us from leaping the "1 play from reaching the Super Bowl (Williams' first fumble) to 4 plays from a Super Bowl victory plateau."

Obviously there's more to it than that. Just as obviously there's more to winning a Super Bowl than just replacing Alex Smith. We basically reached the same point 2 years in a row. It's hard to win a Super Bowl.

The Niners have enough to make it back and they have enough to win and in my opinion - they've had enough since 2011.

Edit: I totally agree with your "Second" above.

Last edited by a moderator: