• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the poise and decision making kap showed along with his physical ability makes me think kap will be the starter regardless of smith's health. there's no way u can keep a talent like that on the sidelines.

smith has played well this year and hats off to smith for getting us this far. but the kap era needs to officially begin.

Annnndddd we're back - I agree 100%!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the contract Alex has now I have a feeling he'll be traded in the offseason so we free up some money to sign Bowman or Goldson. No reason keeping smith and paying him more than kap. Unless he wants to restructure his contract to that of a backup. But in a showing of good faith I think we'll try and trade him if he still wants to be a starter.

smith didn't like coming out for random plays. i highly doubt he wants to be a back up, let alone take back up money.

i could see him getting traded to like the bills or chiefs then he can restructure his contract.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith didn't like coming out for random plays. i highly doubt he wants to be a back up, let alone take back up money.

i could see him getting traded to like the bills or chiefs then he can restructure his contract.

The problem with that is this: HE IS A BACK-UP QB!!!

If Alex Smith honestly believes he is going to go anywhere to be an unchallenged starter or anything more than a stop-gap starter or a back-up in another system he is in need of some serious therapy.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex was that lemon of a car, that we regretted buying. But we worked hard to get it running, threw on swap meet rims, "purchased" a nice stereo system from the shady dude that hangs out in the alley :wtf: and slapped on that cheap Earl Scheib special. All of a sudden we were cruisen the neighborhood in our suped-up lemon lookin pretty fly. But everyone still knows, that it will never be anything more then that suped-up lemon...

Meanwhile, we have a brand new shiny convertable in the garage waiting to be driven. But we worked so hard and so long fixing up that lemon that we can't bring ourselves to park it and bust out our new ride... :car:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex was that lemon of a car

Not really. More like a Saab (expensive and high-end, but a pretender to the Mercedes and BMW class) that got into a bad accident and was treated by a butcher mechanic. Took years and a few more body shops before it got running again.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is this: HE IS A BACK-UP QB!!!

If Alex Smith honestly believes he is going to go anywhere to be an unchallenged starter or anything more than a stop-gap starter or a back-up in another system he is in need of some serious therapy.

he's not a back up qb. whether u think he's average or not, he's proven that he is a legit starting qb in the nfl. even with 2 games this year with an injured finger, he's still putting up good numbers.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's not a back up qb. whether u think he's average or not, he's proven that he is a legit starting qb in the nfl.

No he has not - he has proven he can manage an offense that is tailored to his skills and deficiencies; which, when added together do not equal an NFL starter.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to take anything away from Kaepernick, he was awesome and far surpassed any reasonable expectations even if he had been playing against the worst team in the league.....but the Bears D didn't look very good last night. Niners WRs were getting separation you don't see against them often. This is a defense - specifically Tillman - that gave Megatron fits, and our targets were just running wild. Must have been a helluva game plan by the Niners offensive staff.

You are a slithering weasel. This is the same conclusion I brought to a thread after Alex Smith's game against the Cardinals in which you crucified me for. In a game where over 60% of Smith's passing yards were YACs, in which one of his two TDs was a 39 yard run after the catch. A game in which Alex Smith had 5+ second to throw on every pass, and our WRs were consistently finding soft spots in Arizona's defense and their secondary couldn't tackle anyone. In a game where Alex's LONGEST target was 19 yards! No, you completely ignore that stuff when it's Alex Smith behind center, and bring it back on the table when it's CK7, in his first start.

What a pathetic display of belligerent bias. You know what? There's no question that defenses will most likely adjust to Kaep, but he made more impressive throws in a single game than Alex has made since he's been with Harbaugh. He showed more moxie and ability behind the LOS and in pre-snap reads than Alex ever had. He showed better pocket presence, and superior escapeability on two plays that Alex would have never gotten out of out.

Give me a fucking break.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's not a back up qb. whether u think he's average or not, he's proven that he is a legit starting qb in the nfl. even with 2 games this year with an injured finger, he's still putting up good numbers.

Alex Smith is a stop-gap QB at best anywhere outside of Frisco.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah but think about all the first rounders he's playing with. He has the best oline in football and still puts up mediocre numbers. Put cutler, stafford, Bradford behind our oline and they would have career years. Now is the perfect time for kaep to get reps. He's coming off a huge win and he obviously has the support of his teammates. I also want to see how he plays when he's opposing an elite QB like Brees.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers enter a new era. Congratulations to Aldon Smith!!! :cheer2:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm assuming it's because of how he runs. Long legs, super fast. . .

That. And facially he sorat resembles an Ostrich. Those big eyes, bird face. Funny looking guy. In HS he was 6'5 and weighed 170lbs. I could see how the name having roots / originating from his days of playing in H.S.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to put down Smith, because he has played pretty well the last couple of games, but I saw Kaep make throws into tight coverage, a 57 yard precision bomb, go to his 3rd or 4th receiver, audible from the line more than competently, all against a vaunted defense that I thought was geared to take advantage of a young qb. CK didn't win by gimmicks. Now, I think that one game by itself is not enough, but I kind of hope that Smith still isn't cleared to play -- that Harbaugh just comes out and says we have to make the decision now because the qb needs time -- and CK starts again. I think a qb controversy would be divisive without the cover of medical disqualification for Smith.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Clyde, the problem is that you are *incapable* of being fair about Smith. I said Kapernick was "awesome", and expressly took nothing away from his performance while commenting on the D. You have never given the other guy half that much credit while you downplay his games.

"but he made more impressive throws in a single game than Alex has made since he's been with Harbaugh. He showed more moxie and ability behind the LOS and in pre-snap reads than Alex ever had. He showed better pocket presence, and superior escapeability on two plays that Alex would have never gotten out of out."

Let's hear it for hyperbole! You = a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? The Bears ran the NFL's #1 defense including the #1 team for overall TO's and for INT's against a starting back-up QB and doing so makes them look like idiots? Wow.

You're right that was a dumb comment by me. I'll own up to it. I meant, but didn't say, that they underestimated both Kaep and Harbaugh. Reading Lovie's quotes, it sounded telegraphed that he thought we were only going to run and didn't try to plan for an alternative. And then he thought telling everyone that that was his plan wasn't going to have Harbaugh switch things up. There's obviously a chance that Harbuagh gameplanned without hearing/paying attention to Lovie, but it sounded like Lovie was too confident in Kaep being a backup and us only running. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

But I didn't say that, so I was wrong either way.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - I am NOT saying and am NOT implying that Kaep's success was due to the Bears coaching. There are some out there making that case, not me. The Bears coaching can struggle without taking away from Kaep's big night.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am NOT saying and am NOT implying that Kaep's success was due to the Bears coaching

Personally, from my recent experience I'd beware of even mentioning them in the same post.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right that was a dumb comment by me. I'll own up to it. I meant, but didn't say, that they underestimated both Kaep and Harbaugh. Reading Lovie's quotes, it sounded telegraphed that he thought we were only going to run and didn't try to plan for an alternative. And then he thought telling everyone that that was his plan wasn't going to have Harbaugh switch things up. There's obviously a chance that Harbuagh gameplanned without hearing/paying attention to Lovie, but it sounded like Lovie was too confident in Kaep being a backup and us only running. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

But I didn't say that, so I was wrong either way.

I don't think that is an incorrect thought to come away with after listening to everyone on the Bears. Hell, you can just watch the game and realize that the Bears were caught off guard that the 49ers came out passing... the beauty of CK is that he was effective as a passer. You can tell the Bears didn't expect the 49ers receivers to get behind them, almost like they were prepared for Smith's dink and dunk offense.

I really hope Harbaugh lets Kaepernick start against the Saints, they'll be ready for CK and I think that'll he'll still come out on top because you can't really prepare for that kind of accuracy on cannon passes. Even though the Saints defense is nowhere near as good as the Bears, I think it'll be a better gauge at how good CK really is, just because they know whats coming now after watching MNF... Chicago had no idea what was being unleashed on them.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he has not - he has proven he can manage an offense that is tailored to his skills and deficiencies; which, when added together do not equal an NFL starter.

every offense should be tailored to the qb's skillset. smith would be more than good enough in a wco.

since we've had to put up with smith since he was drafted #1, some don't appreciate what smith brings to the table as a qb. even if it isn't on the pro bowl level that we've seen in the past with montana, young and garcia. but don't tell me buffalo fans wouldn't appreciate having smith instead of fitzpatrick.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but think about all the first rounders he's playing with. He has the best oline in football and still puts up mediocre numbers. Put cutler, stafford, Bradford behind our oline and they would have career years. Now is the perfect time for kaep to get reps. He's coming off a huge win and he obviously has the support of his teammates. I also want to see how he plays when he's opposing an elite QB like Brees.

the offensive line has been improving all year, but i don't think its the best in football in the passing game. when healthy, smith has put up excellent numbers his last few starts.