• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaches game plan reminded a lot of last yrs game against the Giants in the Regular season.

Giants thought we were going to run it all day but we came out passing a lot. Granted we didnt whip there butts that game. But just seemed really similar.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every offense should be tailored to the qb's skillset. smith would be more than good enough in a wco.

since we've had to put up with smith since he was drafted #1, some don't appreciate what smith brings to the table as a qb. even if it isn't on the pro bowl level that we've seen in the past with montana, young and garcia. but don't tell me buffalo fans wouldn't appreciate having smith instead of fitzpatrick.

Yes, all offenses are tailored to the strengths/weaknesses of the QB and other skill players or vice versa - However, no offense is tailored to have its passing attack ranked among the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the league two years in a row, and that is about as much production as we are going to get from Smith.

Smith is in a WCO now and he is not capable of coming even close to producing WCO type numbers. As for Buffalo - Buffalo fans would definitely NOT want Smith instead of Fitzy - Buffalo fans are not idiots they likely would want neither QB.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right that was a dumb comment by me. I'll own up to it. I meant, but didn't say, that they underestimated both Kaep and Harbaugh. Reading Lovie's quotes, it sounded telegraphed that he thought we were only going to run and didn't try to plan for an alternative. And then he thought telling everyone that that was his plan wasn't going to have Harbaugh switch things up. There's obviously a chance that Harbuagh gameplanned without hearing/paying attention to Lovie, but it sounded like Lovie was too confident in Kaep being a backup and us only running. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

But I didn't say that, so I was wrong either way.

I wouldn't say it was dumb, but you can trust that Lovie game planned for the offense we ran last night - we ran our same offense but slanted it toward Chicago's weaknesses.

What nobody could have planned for was Kaepernick's execution of the offense and his ability to do things from our base offense that Smith cannot do. But it certainly wasn't as if Chicago fielded 11 different players on D.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every offense should be tailored to the qb's skillset. smith would be more than good enough in a wco.

since we've had to put up with smith since he was drafted #1, some don't appreciate what smith brings to the table as a qb. even if it isn't on the pro bowl level that we've seen in the past with montana, young and garcia. but don't tell me buffalo fans wouldn't appreciate having smith instead of fitzpatrick.

If I were a Bills fan and they brought in Alex Smith, my reaction would be the same as when the 49ers brought in Trent Dilfer.

"How the fuck is that an upgrade?"

tumblr_lqqsnkOTdT1qbpzabo1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
o come on, smith isn't that bad. there's no comparison with dilfer.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, all offenses are tailored to the strengths/weaknesses of the QB and other skill players or vice versa - However, no offense is tailored to have its passing attack ranked among the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the league two years in a row, and that is about as much production as we are going to get from Smith.

Smith is in a WCO now and he is not capable of coming even close to producing WCO type numbers. As for Buffalo - Buffalo fans would definitely NOT want Smith instead of Fitzy - Buffalo fans are not idiots they likely would want neither QB.

so u mean 70% completions and almost 8ypa isn't good enough for wco? come on, you're killing me here...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so u mean 70% completions and almost 8ypa isn't good enough for wco? come on, you're killing me here...

Wake me when those #'s part of a top-five passing attack, kid. Hell, I'll even take top-ten!

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
o come on, smith isn't that bad. there's no comparison with dilfer.

It wasn't a comparison of Dilfer player to player... it was a comparison that Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick have practically identical stats since 2005.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to put my 2 cents into this...

Alex Smith has really redeemed himself in the last couple years. Sometimes he seems untouchable (like that game in AZ) but here is the factor in all of this. Alex Smith is a great QB when he is not under pressure (darn near the top of the charts!) but when he is pressured he is one of the worst QB's in the league.. This stat really shows that he cannot make plays out of nothing and we have to have that if we are going to win the Super Bowl. After watching Andrew Luck for the first time on Indy, it really brought me back to reality what a great QB is capable of doing.

Kaepernick is very capable of making plays out of nothing with his speed and arm accuracy. What I loved about Kaepernick last night is there was no panic or jitteryness when trying to make a play, he also does not have tunnel vision at all like Smith does. In the playoffs we have to have a QB that can laugh at pressure and keep drives going. Alex Smith showed he can do that against the Saints with a lack of pressure in his face. Against the Giants he crumbled completing only what, one first down on 3rd down in 12-13 attempts? He sucks against the best most complete teams and that is what I think we all worry about!

Bottom line, I think Kae is mature enough to take over this team and utilize the receivers like Smith could not. I like Smith, I think he's a decent QB but he is not going to win games against teams like Ravens, Giants, Texans. I think we all know that by now...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't a comparison of Dilfer player to player... it was a comparison that Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick have practically identical stats since 2005.

smith has been improving and fitzpatrick hasn't been. there's really no comparison between the two.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake me when those #'s part of a top-five passing attack, kid. Hell, I'll even take top-ten!

kaps numbers in the bears game wouldn't put our passing offense in the top 12...

we don't need a top 5 passing offense to smack down teams no matter who the qb is. if we're in the 200-250 range for passing yards, that's really all we need.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kaps numbers in the bears game wouldn't put our passing offense in the top 12...

we don't need a top 5 passing offense to smack down teams no matter who the qb is. if we're in the 200-250 range for passing yards, that's really all we need.

Yeah, see that right there would be the problem Junior, we are not in that range - we are in the 185-195 YPG range.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, see that right there would be the problem Junior, we are not in that range - we are in the 185-195 YPG range.

only because smith was trying to play injured for 2 games

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]eL12_vMrQ7M&feature=g-like[/YOUTUBE]

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way I read the previous 250+ posts but I've been trying to digest what happened for the last 24 hours. It's hard to get my head wrapped around all the scenarios and implications. Harbs next moves could be very critical to the future of the franchise. Boiling it down to a few basic scenarios:

1) Alex comes back and is the starting QB. This works provided we make a deep playoff run or win the SB. Any hiccups along the way will likely spur the calls for CK and could lead to division in the locker room and certainly chaos among the fan base.
2) Rest Alex for one more game "to make sure he's 100%". Two games (one on the road in a hostile environment) should tell us a lot more about our young QB. NO would have time to scour the film and scheme for CK. Not fool proof but more game experience will be helpful. NO is not the most imposing pass defense. I'd really like the next game to be against a division rival so we can compare AS to CK vs the same competition. But that's not gonna happen.
3) Tell Alex thanks for your service and hand him a clipboard. One game is no guarantee of future performance. We were on the cusp of a SB last year and we'd have to push all our chips in with CK. No second guessing if the season goes awry. Also not sure how this would affect locker room chemistry.

Of these three paths, I'd prefer "Door 2" but I'm not sure that's realistic.

I agree with some other posters though. CK can do things and make throws AS can't. It's just a matter of whether he can take the reigns this far into a season and take us deep into the playoffs or to a SB. It could be anything from a season for the ages all the way to a Greek f-ing tragedy.

My two cents....