• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. Two things I thought we would see last night from Kaep we did not... turnovers and running. I think his passing actually opened up the running game and that's something Alex Smith could not have done last night.

I think that Smith starts next week but I know one thing for sure... there will be no 7.5 million dollar bonus for Smith on April 1st next year.

The Bears were too simple with their game planning. They just assumed we were going to run and Kaep could only run. I know it's in hindsight, but they look like idiots. Don't they know Harbaugh and Roman try to decieve others and we have more strengths than just running (especially with Kaep).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. Two things I thought we would see last night from Kaep we did not... turnovers and running. I think his passing actually opened up the running game and that's something Alex Smith could not have done last night.

I think that Smith starts next week but I know one thing for sure... there will be no 7.5 million dollar bonus for Smith on April 1st next year.

Definitely agree with this. Keapernick didn't just wake up Ninernation last night - he woke up the entire NFLnation last night. Or as is said in the biz - Keapernick sold some jersey's last night!

Good to see you btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Vernon Davis, one of Alex's most notable supporters, goes on Twitter and says that he's finally been uncuffed, what is there to argue?

the bears gave him single coverage. of course he's gonna be open. kap's arm creates huge problems tho, so teams are just gonna have to pick their poison.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely agree with this. Kaepernick didn't just wake up Ninernation last night - he woke up the entire NFLnation last night. Or as is said in the biz - Kaepernick sold some jersey's last night!

Good to see you btw.

ya and those factories in china are most likely printing those jersey's with Keapernick instead.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears were too simple with their game planning. They just assumed we were going to run and Kaep could only run. I know it's in hindsight, but they look like idiots. Don't they know Harbaugh and Roman try to decieve others and we have more strengths than just running (especially with Kaep).

Huh? The Bears ran the NFL's #1 defense including the #1 team for overall TO's and for INT's against a starting back-up QB and doing so makes them look like idiots? Wow.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya and those factories in china are most likely printing those jersey's with Keapernick instead.

LMAO!! Okay, so not paying attention I went and changed my post thinking I had misspelled his name, then realized you were not mocking me - now I can't change it back - my recommendation - have some fun with it.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Let me clarify,,, I thought that Kaep would run more if the play wasn’t there and he would pull it down and run it. Steve Young told him before the game to trust his feet and I don’t remember him running much on passing plays.

It’s amazing that people don’t realize how accurate Kaep can be. At Nevada he made some incredible throws.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me clarify,,, I thought that Kaep would run more if the play wasn’t there and he would pull it down and run it. Steve Young told him before the game to trust his feet and I don’t remember him running much on passing plays.

It’s amazing that people don’t realize how accurate Kaep can be. At Nevada he made some incredible throws.

Accuracy in college - hell just about anything in college means exactly nothing at the NFL level. What is amazing is how many people don't understand THAT.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not trying to take anything away from Kaepernick, he was awesome and far surpassed any reasonable expectations even if he had been playing against the worst team in the league.....but the Bears D didn't look very good last night. Niners WRs were getting separation you don't see against them often. This is a defense - specifically Tillman - that gave Megatron fits, and our targets were just running wild. Must have been a helluva game plan by the Niners offensive staff.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's some decent analysis:

"We'll all get a better idea when the coaches film for the game comes out later this week, but on first viewing, it appeared to be a combination of a great game plan and excellent execution from a player everybody wrote off as raw. Jim Harbaugh's brilliance in designing offensive attacks for a given opponent isn't breaking news, but despite missing practice time this week to have minor heart surgery, Harbaugh's game plan to attack the previously superb Bears defense was a doozy. With Chicago's cornerbacks playing out of their minds this year, Harbaugh simply did his best to build a scheme that avoided them altogether, leaving likely Pro Bowlers Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman as onlookers.

Instead, Harbaugh went after the weak links of the Chicago defense: the safeties. Every year, it seems like the Chicago safeties, regardless of who they are, seem to combine for one abysmal game that makes you look back and wonder why anyone ever thought the Bears defense was any good. Last year, that game was the 24-13 Monday Night Football loss to the Lions. Monday night's loss might have been even uglier. The 49ers produced several big plays against the Bears by exploiting safeties Chris Conte and Major Wright in coverage, repeatedly using corner routes from elite athletes like Vernon Davis and Kyle Williams to create separation and produce big plays. When it wasn't Conte or Wright, the 49ers were able to take advantage of a relative lack of speed from the Bears linebackers. As good as Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher are at using their instincts to read plays, their advanced age means that they can't keep up in a footrace with Davis. Briggs gave it his all, but that's a duty very few linebackers can pull off."

Fourth-and-Short: Niners Dish Out a Recipe of Whoop-ass - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we should look at our QB's like the players do.....we have two great QB's. of course neither are 'great' but point being they're capable of winning.

we all knew Kap would likely take over from Alex Smith, so this "controversy" shouldn't be so overblown? again, i'll look at it like the players do.........we'll let the Coaches decide when, and when that decision is made, support it. certainly won't be devastated should Kap be named the starter.

if we don't have to get rid of Alex Smith, then don't. we won't be able to obtain a better back-up near future. this team is built for now (this and next season), so having a solid back up is huge. agree he won't have much trade value anyway. Alex might stick around cause he feels very comfortable now, in both the system and Harbaugh. he'll also think he is always one play away from starting again, cause no guarentee Kap plays every snap.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man does harbs and the staff have a tough decision to make. Kap played lights out.

Its kind of hard to tell where they will go from here if smith is healthy. How many times has a team sitting at 7-2 had a QB controversy lol.

Personally im not even sure who will be QB next week if smith is good to go. My gut tells me harbs will stick with Smith, but Kap just made a realy good arguement for himself. It was only one game so i wont get too crazy because kap could just as well blow it next game but it will be interesting this week.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Smith would jump at a starting opportunity elsewhere once Kap gets the job.

I honestly believe if Smith left the 49ers it would be career suicide - Smith can easily have a Gary Kubiak type career right here in SF.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we don't have to get rid of Alex Smith, then don't. we won't be able to obtain a better back-up near future. this team is built for now (this and next season), so having a solid back up is huge. agree he won't have much trade value anyway. Alex might stick around cause he feels very comfortable now, in both the system and Harbaugh. he'll also think he is always one play away from starting again, cause no guarentee Kap plays every snap.

There isn't an exorbitant amount of money tied up in the QB position next year, so I one would think Smith would be back again either as the backup or starter. Once they start paying Kaep with an extension, it will be time to look for a cheaper alternative to Smith.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man does harbs and the staff have a tough decision to make. Kap played lights out.

Its kind of hard to tell where they will go from here if smith is healthy. How many times has a team sitting at 7-2 had a QB controversy lol.

Personally im not even sure who will be QB next week if smith is good to go. My gut tells me harbs will stick with Smith, but Kap just made a realy good arguement for himself. It was only one game so i wont get too crazy because kap could just as well blow it next game but it will be interesting this week.

yep, for me continue what you were doing before yesterdays game - Alex Smith starts but give Kap playing time. how much playing time will depend on game conditions? this is for the very near term, not forever.

only now, Harbaugh has the option of calling passes, not just the wildKap.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the contract Alex has now I have a feeling he'll be traded in the offseason so we free up some money to sign Bowman or Goldson. No reason keeping smith and paying him more than kap. Unless he wants to restructure his contract to that of a backup. But in a showing of good faith I think we'll try and trade him if he still wants to be a starter.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There isn't an exorbitant amount of money tied up in the QB position next year, so I one would think Smith would be back again either as the backup or starter. Once they start paying Kaep with an extension, it will be time to look for a cheaper alternative to Smith.

yep, the contract stuff will work itself out, cause Baalke didn't give Alex a huge commitment.

it is possible another teams makes an offer Alex Smith can't refuse? but i'd say low possibility.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the poise and decision making kap showed along with his physical ability makes me think kap will be the starter regardless of smith's health. there's no way u can keep a talent like that on the sidelines.

smith has played well this year and hats off to smith for getting us this far. but the kap era needs to officially begin.