• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards are terrible. The Bears are a legitimate defense.

Alex Smith is clearly holding this team back.

The Cards are terrible! But... The Bears have had a soft schedule and haven't beaten anyone. Plus that was definitely not their A game. I think what we saw tonight was a combo of very good QB play with an under-performance on behalf of the Bears.

I think Kap looked great but - one game doesn't make him king. Unless Harbaugh says so that is.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@maioccoCSN 49ers TE Vernon Davis: "I felt like somebody took the handcuffs off me."

That is a big quote from Davis IMO because I always felt he was Smith's biggest supporter on the offense.

Kind of hard to look back, with statements like this...

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards are terrible! But... The Bears have had a soft schedule and haven't beaten anyone. Plus that was definitely not their A game. I think what we saw tonight was a combo of very good QB play with an under-performance on behalf of the Bears.

I think Kap looked great but - one game doesn't make him king. Unless Harbaugh says so that is.

But their defense has been AWESOME all season. I seriously doubt this is the outcome with Smith as the QB, even with Campbell playing for the Bears. We probably still win, but more like 10-7 with Smith back there.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So terrible they picked off Matt Ryan 5 times and almost beat the 8-1 Atlanta Falcons on the road? Are you serious? The Cards D is legit.

I just worry about the Troy Smith effect changing QB's might have. If Singletary had just realized Troy had 1 great game and gone back to Alex we probably would have made the playoffs that year. He stuck with Troy though until we lost a few and he got fired. Alex comes back and we miss the playoffs by a game. What happens if you go with Kaep and he lays egg down in New Orleans?

Give me a break. Troy Smith was a 5th round pick that was barely 5'11", who had already been released from a team. No one thought Troy had a chance to be the future. Stop with this failed analogy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You guys do realize Alex was 25/27 with 4 TD's and no Int's in the last game and a half right? I'd say his MNF performance over the Cards is better than what Kaep did tonight. They were both against what are suppose to be top 5 Defenses in the NFL. They key similarity in both games though is we played horrible offenses that our D was able to destroy.

It's not an easy decision to pull a QB with one of the highest passer ratings in the league and replace him with the backup that had 1 good game.

I think it's easy to make a case for Kaep today over Smith vs AZ. Smith did it with short passes and poor tackling from the Cards (Crabtree's 3rd down catches, Moss' TD).

Kaep dropped some beautiful throws that Smith just doesn't make, like the one to Williams.

The issue at hand for me is that Kaep can do things that Smith will never be able to do. The reverse is not true.

All that being said, I don't know who I would start this week. What I do know is that whoever starts, cannot have a short leash. Regardless of what happens, Harbaugh can't get too reactionary and make the change. If he goes Mike Keenan (hockey reference, deal with it), we're fucked.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that Harbaugh is already mulling it speaks volumes.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Smith just go the way of Wally Pipp and Drew Bledsoe? I'm leaning towards yes right now.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a break. Troy Smith was a 5th round pick that was barely 5'11", who had already been released from a team. No one thought Troy had a chance to be the future. Stop with this failed analogy.

Not quoting you, clyde, but the post you're quoting. Are we really comparing Singletary, the jackass, to Harbaugh as head coaches?

Really?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question. Is Smith better than Montana?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few yes's on this board. Ridiculous. WTF makes Alex Smith so untouchable? His record? You mean the record that Harbaugh, the defense, and running game earned him?

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, for me it wasn't just that he won, it was how he won -- making reads, difficult throws, etc. I don't know, I don't see how you don't give Smith another week to "rest" his concussion, but still, difficult call.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Smith just go the way of Wally Pipp and Drew Bledsoe? I'm leaning towards yes right now.

Bledsoe didn't look like he was more concerned with his job than he was with supporting his teammates even though Brady was CLEARLY taking his job away.

In the 4th quarter, Smith had the "Oh FUCK!!!! I'm unemployed," look on his face. He absolutely wasn't happy his team was winning.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pre-snap reads that took Alex Smith 8 years to learn, CK7 is already making them. Apparently it was so astounding to people when Alex yelled "kill" before he snapped the ball.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But their defense has been AWESOME all season. I seriously doubt this is the outcome with Smith as the QB, even with Campbell playing for the Bears. We probably still win, but more like 10-7 with Smith back there.

That's true! But I still don't think that was their A game. Their D took a crap out here today. Almost no pressure and our guys were open all day, and Frank and Hunter tore em apart. They got dominated.

I think you're exaggerating a bit - we still win with Alex, probably similar score too. Still Kap was impressive! I am not trying to rain on any parades - just trying to stay level headed.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question. Is Smith better than Montana?

No one is better than Joe

Cards D has proven themselves against much better opponents than the Bears though. They are the only reason that team even has a chance to win games with the QB's and RB's they trot out every week. The Bears offense by comparison is light years ahead of them. Every team with a winning record so far has beat the Bears so don't believe to much of their hype. They have picked on lesser opponents for the most part.

It is very impressive though that Kaep was not one of those opponents because on paper it looked like a match that should favor their defense.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, for me it wasn't just that he won, it was how he won -- making reads, difficult throws, etc. I don't know, I don't see how you don't give Smith another week to "rest" his concussion, but still, difficult call.

I'd like to give him a few years to rest it. You know, REALLY make sure he's okay upstairs.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have to stop tossing out Troy Smith. Troy's "plays" were flukes that dumbasses like Singletary took as playmaking. Like that sky high arch pass to Walker that had no business being completed, but probably only did because Walker got away with pass interference to haul it in.

Nothing I saw from Kaep's throwing reminded me of Troy Smith. He was mostly firing balls on target and with crazy good zip that made it hard for the Bears to even get in position to knock it down or intercept it.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true! But I still don't think that was their A game. Their D took a crap out here today. Almost no pressure and our guys were open all day, and Frank and Hunter tore em apart. They got dominated.

I think you're exaggerating a bit - we still win with Alex, probably similar score too. Still Kap was impressive! I am not trying to rain on any parades - just trying to stay level headed.

I agree with this.

I still stand by my 10-7 outcome if Smith is throwing the ball for us.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of the league are shitting themselves after this game. Putting a QB that can push the ball down the field like CK7 on a team that has an elite defense and running game? Unfair.

Of couse that's IF Kaep starts and IF he continues to play well.

Are we calling Kap CK7 now? I preferred Optimus Prime :p

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To all of you saying that no team would trade anything for Alex Smith, how about those Raiders. Look at what they gave up for a bum who sucked and quit on his team. There are many teams desperate to have a starting QB like KC, Clv, Jets, Miami, Jags, Cinci, and Oak. They all would be upgraded a lot by getting Smith.