• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb position, now what?

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget about the drive before that when he ran for the TD. Don't forget about the NFL leading come from behind wins in the 4th quarter by Smith last season.

I love how people have selective memories when it comes to a player they dislike.

And I am not saying Smith is a great QB but he is a good QB.

Above average, not good. One step down from good

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've been rooting for him as a 49er, i couldn't give a shit about him if he's on another team...

And here's where we differ. I want our best players on the field to put us in the best position to WIN the Super Bowl.

Smith doesn't provide that. It's obvious. He NEVER will.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. He re-claimed his starting job from Hill in 2009, and played pretty well in 2010 despite Singletary's poor coaching. 2011 though was really his breakout year though and showed just how much difference a real coach makes for a team. He is on pace to have another career year in 2012 if Kaep does not replace him. I'd venture to say Alex is having a pro-bowl caliber year though I know some will dispute that.

With Brees, Rodgers, Ryan in the NFC... the ProBowl is pretty much set.. after that Manning, Freeman, and RG3... Smith is having a good year but all of those guys deserve the Pro Bowl more than Smith.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the one claiming the 49ers can trade Alex for a 1st or 2nd rounder...

Where did I ever say a first? I said a shaub or Kolb type trade. One was for 2 seconds and swapping first round picks and one was for 1 second and a player.

Smith can be traded for a second round pick easily. heck teams draft QBs they hope to become back ups in the 3rd round. In smith they would have a sure back up at worse.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To bad we can't rep anymore. Well said statement.
The only throw Kaep made I have rarely if ever seen Alex throw was the deep sideline throw to Kyle Williams. That pass was a thing of beauty. The throws to Crabtree and Davis though I have seen Alex make countless times.

That's straight bullshit. The pass to VD on 3rd and 11 late that came up just short of the first down, where he threw it off his back foot between three defenders and hit Davis in stride?

Smith never makes that throw.

The throw that Walker failed to bring in with Kaepernick rolling right? Smith throws that 8 yards out of bounds.

The dart that dislocated Moss' finger? Some of the slants that he was throwing (the slants were about 4 yards deeper than with Smith as well).

The deep comeback to Manningham to start the game (he threw the same pass last week).

If you think Smith can make the throws Kaep was making (especially make the throws like Kaep was making them) you're lying to yourself.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, so many people letting one win against a team, albeit a good team, who game planned totally wrong want to make a major move with only 6 games till the playoffs.

I agree Collen is the QB of the future, just wait till next season or if Smith is injured. Smith has the experience of playoff football. He has experienced a comeback in the playoffs. He has seen the blitzes. Smith is one of the best QBs against the blitz for a reason. Smith is 3rd in QB rating. Right in between Peyton and Brady.

I think people just need to calm down and relax. But, if Harbaugh gives Kaep the nod at qb ill support him 100%.

kap didn't look like it was his 1st start. i came away impressed. the bears d is having a great year and they had absolutely no idea what hit them.

simply put, kap looks ready.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget about the drive before that when he ran for the TD. Don't forget about the NFL leading come from behind wins in the 4th quarter by Smith last season.

I love how people have selective memories when it comes to a player they dislike.

Sorry, Smith is NOT a good QB. Joe Flacco is a good QB. Matt Schaub is a good QB. Andy Dalton is a good QB. Alex Smith, in a perfect situation like ours, is a mediocre, passable QB.

What does Alex Smith do to make the players around him better? Does he make the coaches look better?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive. We've seen it a million times. How much equity does one drive buy a QB?

It bought Eli Manning a new career =\
I seem to remember him being a very up and down QB prone to turnovers with talk about him being bust, and then a magically playoff run happened topped off by an amazing catch by Tyree. He is now considered one of the top QB's in the league. So yeah 1 drive and a playoff run can buy you a whole new lease on a career in the NFL. Alex problem is that we did not win the Super Bowl, and it may have all come to late in his career to overshadow all of his previous baggage.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, so many people letting one win against a team, albeit a good team, who game planned totally wrong want to make a major move with only 6 games till the playoffs.

I agree Collen is the QB of the future, just wait till next season or if Smith is injured. Smith has the experience of playoff football. He has experienced a comeback in the playoffs. He has seen the blitzes. Smith is one of the best QBs against the blitz for a reason. Smith is 3rd in QB rating. Right in between Peyton and Brady.

I think people just need to calm down and relax. But, if Harbaugh gives Kaep the nod at qb ill support him 100%.

2 games. Yeah. He's a playoff-hardened veteran.

Also, Smith SUCKS against the blitz. He takes LOADS of sacks. Usually when he shouldn't, AND when it hurts his team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Above average, not good. One step down from good

I think Alex is just about average to below average. He's in the Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson category IMO.

I'd be more than happy to have him as a backup if he's making a million or less.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I love the irony of the first paragraph since you JUST POSTED A LINK TO A SINGLE DRIVE to support your claim of Alex Smith.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's straight bullshit. The pass to VD on 3rd and 11 late that came up just short of the first down, where he threw it off his back foot between three defenders and hit Davis in stride?

Smith never makes that throw.

The throw that Walker failed to bring in with Kaepernick rolling right? Smith throws that 8 yards out of bounds.

The dart that dislocated Moss' finger? Some of the slants that he was throwing (the slants were about 4 yards deeper than with Smith as well).

The deep comeback to Manningham to start the game (he threw the same pass last week).

If you think Smith can make the throws Kaep was making (especially make the throws like Kaep was making them) you're lying to yourself.

the most impressive throw was the one to vernon in the 2nd half where the bears brought pressure up the middle. great decisions and the coaching staff showed a lot of confidence in kap's arm.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love how people have blinders because they are homers and want to root for a loser.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You're saying he's worth a high draft pick.

And who has said they dislike Smith? Are you blinded by your affection for a "good guy?"

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned something new today... when singletary was the coach the organization did not hire an OC or a QB coach. Now I see why we sucked, the organization tried to make him wear too many hats...

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kap was awesome. Definitely gonna be hard to go back to Alex, though it could easily happen......but if some of the other players are as excited as VD, Kap might own the offense already. Regardless, next year I can't imagine Smith still has the job.

Past that, I really think I hate some of you fucks. Every chance you get to forget what Smith has done well is taken and run with. Warty is just a loudmouth idiot, and Clyde is so bent its ridiculous.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, Smith is NOT a good QB. Joe Flacco is a good QB. Matt Schaub is a good QB. Andy Dalton is a good QB. Alex Smith, in a perfect situation like ours, is a mediocre, passable QB.

What does Alex Smith do to make the players around him better? Does he make the coaches look better?

What does he do to lose games? What does he do to make players look worse?

He has a great record the last 2 years. Im sure any suck ass QB would thrive under this system. Smith has nothing to do with it. Why the niners didn't just go with a undrafted rookie qb this year ill never know.

Anyway its past my bedtime. Got to wake up early to talk shit to my coworkers who told me that the 9ers had no chance with a QB who never started in the NFL over someone who should be starting. Always nice getting into a debate with people after a 9ers win.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1). No he isn't. He's an average QB, benefiting from a top-3 defense and a top-3 running game.

2). A good QB in those circumstances last year couldn't get us to the SB, let alone win it.

3). I like nachos.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where did I ever say a first? I said a shaub or Kolb type trade. One was for 2 seconds and swapping first round picks and one was for 1 second and a player.

Smith can be traded for a second round pick easily. heck teams draft QBs they hope to become back ups in the 3rd round. In smith they would have a sure back up at worse.

Hmmmmmm, earlier, when you wanted to build the Kolb trade up you called it a trade for "a second round pick and a pro bowl safety" (it was actually a Pro Bowl CB).

Now it's just "1 second and a player."

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It bought Eli Manning a new career =\
I seem to remember him being a very up and down QB prone to turnovers with talk about him being bust, and then a magically playoff run happened topped off by an amazing catch by Tyree. He is now considered one of the top QB's in the league. So yeah 1 drive and a playoff run can buy you a whole new lease on a career in the NFL. Alex problem is that we did not win the Super Bowl, and it may have all come to late in his career to overshadow all of his previous baggage.

Two SB rings bought Eli that equity, not one drive.