• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, they gave up draft picks for him they wont fire him, tanking is part of the deal and ownership will be on board

Bill Bellicheck has 5 SB wins and he's about to be fired.

They hired Payton to trim things around. Not in 4 years. Now

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Bellicheck has 5 SB wins and he's about to be fired.

They hired Payton to trim things around. Not in 4 years. Now
Well in a lot of ways the Broncos were better this season then last year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in a lot of ways the Broncos were better this season then last year.

They were. They started off pretty shaky but got better. But, honestly, they are missing pieces. It will be up to Payton to get those pieces. Dumping Russ and taking the largest cap hit in NFL history doesn't really help that plan though.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were. They started off pretty shaky but got better. But, honestly, they are missing pieces. It will be up to Payton to get those pieces. Dumping Russ and taking the largest cap hit in NFL history doesn't really help that plan though.
Think he like Pete feels he can do more with less at QB. Think the plan is to seek a trade not just release him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where am I giving Geno a pass?

Geno is who he is. I'm saying he's playing basically at the same level as last year.

If the running game is working then Geno will do well because the play action will work. If he doesn't he geenerallly struggles.

Every QB struggles when the OL struggles. Every single one

This whole conversation has been a pass for Geno. He's basically playing at the same level as last year despite having a significant drop in his statistics and performance? He's playing just fine, it's the line that's playing horribly which is making Geno look bad? Hell, I think this year is pretty much his ceiling and the insane start last year was a fluke. He's actually performed significantly better with the game on the line late than I expected, but that doesn't change the fact that what I saw of Lock tells me that Geno shouldn't be making $30+ million next year.

I hope Geno balls out the next 2 weeks and the Seahawks have 10 wins. Geno's the QB, and will be. I will always root this team on. There's no QB controversy, but it's not unreasonable to want better play from the person who plays the most important position on the offense.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not my opinion its being reported in various places, already seeing mocks with the broncos going qb

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not my opinion its being reported in various places, already seeing mocks with the broncos going qb
Yep, the Donkeys are going to draft a QB that Payton likes and he can shape into his mold. It's just that simple. The writing was on the wall regarding Russ the day Payton was hired. Russ can't play in that system. He improved quite a bit over last year statistically but that isn't saying much considering how bad last season was. The bottom line though is that Russ still wasn't as good as those statistics might suggest and Payton was very obviously frustrated by him. That team has a ways to go to be a contender and Russ was only a part of that but SP is calling the shots and will get what he wants. Might mean his own GM as well but we will see on that one.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's the Talent, Not the Coaching IMO
Really?? Wow. So I assume you will say we need to upgrade QB, but it's the same QB we had in 2022 when the offense performed significantly better on the whole vs this year. Compared to last year, we also added a 1st round WR and a 2nd round RB. Dumping even more premium draft capital into the offensive skill players (unless it's QB, but again that's a constant for last 2 years) seems overkill at this point.
At times, he's tried to get a little too cute and overthink what the defenses are doing but I don't blame him entirely for the offense taking a step back. Unless we use 12 or 13 personnel and have TEs blocking, our run game goes nowhere. Part of that is playing pretty good defenses but our O-line really took a step back in the run game, imo. The injuries were a big factor as well. Far too many times, our RBs are getting first contact 3-4 yds behind the line of scrimmage. And let's face it, Geno was really hesitant to pull the trigger a lot this season. Last year he was hitting the back foot and letting it rip. Now he is trying to live up to the endorsement the team gave him and afraid to make mistakes which often times in this league actually leads to mistakes. And he started that in the second half of last season. Not Geno bashing here either but it is what it is at this point.
I don't think it's 100% Waldron, but a lot of this falls at his feet. I don't blame him for OL injuries during the early part of the year, but the problems persisted when most of those players returned healthy. Even if you want to spread the blame very graciously, I can't see how what has happened here this season results in a promotion for the guy in charge of the offense. If I needed to make a straight up bet on whether he gets a HC job next year or is fired from his current job, I am taking the latter. I think I am hoping for a new OC here even more than a new QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They very well might. Barring some crazy trade, the Broncos are going to draft somewhere around 10-15. They also don't have a 2nd round pick.

Maybe they get lucky and Daniels is still on the board when they pick but that seems unlikely. So that means they will need to likely reach on a 2nd tier guy like McCarthy or Penix or Nix

Glad I'm not a Broncos fan.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They very well might. Barring some crazy trade, the Broncos are going to draft somewhere around 10-15. They also don't have a 2nd round pick.

Maybe they get lucky and Daniels is still on the board when they pick but that seems unlikely. So that means they will need to likely reach on a 2nd tier guy like McCarthy or Penix or Nix

Glad I'm not a Broncos fan.
The team got sold and the new owners immediately fucked everything up. This is what scares me about jody selling the team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team got sold and the new owners immediately fucked everything up. This is what scares me about jody selling the team.

New ownership can often be a problem because the new owners want to play with their brand new shiny toy.

IMO, the Broncos are another cautionary tale about chasing a star QB. They struck gold with Manning. But they have habitually whiffed on their quest for a new QB since.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New ownership can often be a problem because the new owners want to play with their brand new shiny toy.

IMO, the Broncos are another cautionary tale about chasing a star QB. They struck gold with Manning. But they have habitually whiffed on their quest for a new QB since.
They have pretty much whiffed on QB's since John Elway outside of P. Manning... Cutler was ok... Plummer wasn't that good in Denver...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have pretty much whiffed on QB's since John Elway outside of P. Manning... Cutler was ok... Plummer wasn't that good in Denver...
Yep, exactly and Peyton Manning basically fell into their lap at the back end of his career. The Colts tanked bigtime for Luck after Manning's neck surgery that most thought would end his career and a lot of teams were afraid of going after Manning for that reason. Credit Elway and the Broncos for doing it but they also had a pretty stacked roster and weapons already in place. I think more so than the fools gold they thought they had when they were going after Rodgers and Russ. Now they have to hope and pray they get lucky which is a shitty place to be working from.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams are lucky to field a top tier QB, or even a top 10 QB, even for a short time. Seattle has been around for nearly 50 years, but there have only been a few years from Russ, a couple from Hasselbeck, one or two from Kreig and one each from Moon and Geno. Other than that, it's pretty much middle of the road or worse. 3/4 of Seahawk history has seen the team fielding a QB who performed worse than a top 10 QB.

Teams just don't normally get 30 years of HoF level play out of their QB position like the Packers did with Favre and Rodgers. Or 18 like the 9ers got from Montana and Young. Or even 19 from Brady for the Patriots. Colts tried with Manning and Luck, but that didn't work out for them the way they had hoped.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wilson either stays in Denver or goes to New England.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders, minnesota? Redskins?
Maybe Washington. Still I think NE is his most likely destination outside of Denver. The Broncos may be forced to keep him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Washington. Still I think NE is his most likely destination outside of Denver. The Broncos may be forced to keep him.

Honestly, if the reports prove true that Russell is being benched to avoid the injury guarantee and Wilson can prove that - I don't see the PA not filing a grievance. It would set a horrible precedence, letting teams bench players just to avoid paying them bonuses they would have earned.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, if the reports prove true that Russell is being benched to avoid the injury guarantee and Wilson can prove that - I don't see the PA not filing a grievance. It would set a horrible precedence, letting teams bench players just to avoid paying them bonuses they would have earned.
It’s not an issue of avoiding a bonus. The only bonuses he could earn now wouldn’t happen anyway.

It’s about avoiding an injury which would be a huge financial burden to the team. There’s no problem with Denver benching him or Wilson not waiving his injury clause. That’s the way it goes sometimes.

Actually the NFLPA would be angry at Wilson if he waived his injury clause.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not an issue of avoiding a bonus. The only bonuses he could earn now wouldn’t happen anyway.

It’s about avoiding an injury which would be a huge financial burden to the team. There’s no problem with Denver benching him or Wilson not waiving his injury clause. That’s the way it goes sometimes.

Actually the NFLPA would be angry at Wilson if he waived his injury clause.

I didn't mean bonus, I meant guarantees. Reports are stating that he was threatened to waive his clause or be benched. If the PA allows teams to extort players to get team friendly results then they're impotent.