• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean bonus, I meant guarantees. Reports are stating that he was threatened to waive his clause or be benched. If the PA allows teams to extort players to get team friendly results then they're impotent.
Players have been benched in the past to avoid a injury that would kick in a injury guarantee. Wasn't Derek Carr bench on the Raiders for that reason? Course a team should avoid expressing that giving up his waiver would keep that from happening, not sure if NFLPA would allow a player to waiver a injury guarantee.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players have been benched in the past to avoid a injury that would kick in a injury guarantee. Wasn't Derek Carr bench on the Raiders for that reason? Course a team should avoid expressing that giving up his waiver would keep that from happening, not sure if NFLPA would allow a player to waiver a injury guarantee.
The Raiders did bench Carr last year, but it was only for the final 2 games when they were 6-9. Somewhat of a similar situation with Denver, though there's been clear friction between HC and QB lately. This does appear to me that Denver is deciding to move on with playoffs largely out of reach and RW having some pretty big guarantees kicking in if he's not healthy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, if the reports prove true that Russell is being benched to avoid the injury guarantee and Wilson can prove that - I don't see the PA not filing a grievance. It would set a horrible precedence, letting teams bench players just to avoid paying them bonuses they would have earned.
This is the point I made a week or so ago when someone came in here and tried to say the Hawks were going to bench Geno the last 2 games so he could be cut early Feb. The NFLPA would wage war if this were an overt practice for the reason(s) you state. You get to a point where you are not negotiating in good faith if you are agreeing on bonuses and guarantees that you (the team) can just sabotage by benching the player. For sure there is a point where teams can/should/do bench higher cost players in favor of lower ones, but there has to be at least plausible deniability that it's for football-related reasons or a shitstorm is on the horizon.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wilson either stays in Denver or goes to New England.
I think the only team less likely than Denver to have RW on it next year is Seattle.

Potential landing spots to me are teams who are not financially upside down on any players and also don't have an established, proven starter in place. Those teams are Atlanta, WAS, NE, Raiders, Pitt, Tenn. Justin Fields has been playing better lately with Chicago still mathematically alive for the playoffs, but there's been at least some talk about the Bears moving on from him; if that happens then Wilson could get a look there even if Chi drafts somebody. Vikings could be in need of a QB as well, as I think the remaining time on his current deal are void years.

You also have some teams out there who drafted a QB very early recently, but it hasn't gone all that well. The Panthers come to mind. Maybe they get RW in as the presumed backup but have the option to pull Bryce Young in the event he continues to struggle. GB could be another team like this.

Every year, you have established starters that get hurt in pre-season or early in the regular season. Hard to predict that, but one option for RW if he doesn't see anything he likes (or just doesn't get any takers) is to sit by the phone and wait for a QB need to emerge. This might be called the Joe Flacco in the near future.

Lots of possible scenarios out there, but it's really hard to see the marriage continue at Mile High with the way things are right now.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the Falcons, Redskins (IK I refuse to change their name in my head) and Raiders being good fits for RW next season...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article was published 2 days ago on Spotrac and predicts the 2024 QB situation for all teams:

Spoiler: they are calling a virtual stand pat scenario for the Hawks. "THE SEAHAWKS KEEP SMITH, CONVERTING HIS $9.6M ROSTER BONUS INTO SIGNING BONUS, FREEING UP $7.6M OF CAP SPACE NEXT SEASON. SEATTLE RE-SIGNS DREW LOCK TO A 1 YEAR, $5M CONTRACT TO REMAIN THE QB2."

They predict Russell becomes a Titan after Denver fails to find a dance partner for a trade and eats his cap hit.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the Falcons, Redskins (IK I refuse to change their name in my head) and Raiders being good fits for RW next season...
Lately I've been calling them (former Redskins) the Football Skins.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article was published 2 days ago on Spotrac and predicts the 2024 QB situation for all teams:

Spoiler: they are calling a virtual stand pat scenario for the Hawks. "THE SEAHAWKS KEEP SMITH, CONVERTING HIS $9.6M ROSTER BONUS INTO SIGNING BONUS, FREEING UP $7.6M OF CAP SPACE NEXT SEASON. SEATTLE RE-SIGNS DREW LOCK TO A 1 YEAR, $5M CONTRACT TO REMAIN THE QB2."

They predict Russell becomes a Titan after Denver fails to find a dance partner for a trade and eats his cap hit.

I can totally see our QB situation playing out that way... I wouldn't be shocked in the least...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can totally see our QB situation playing out that way... I wouldn't be shocked in the least...
Yeah, I won't have a problem if it works out as they say and we can reduce some of Geno's 2024 cap hit. We are sort of in no-man's land for the draft and never really had a realistic shot at a top QB there unless we were completely terrible this season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only team less likely than Denver to have RW on it next year is Seattle.

Potential landing spots to me are teams who are not financially upside down on any players and also don't have an established, proven starter in place. Those teams are Atlanta, WAS, NE, Raiders, Pitt, Tenn. Justin Fields has been playing better lately with Chicago still mathematically alive for the playoffs, but there's been at least some talk about the Bears moving on from him; if that happens then Wilson could get a look there even if Chi drafts somebody. Vikings could be in need of a QB as well, as I think the remaining time on his current deal are void years.

You also have some teams out there who drafted a QB very early recently, but it hasn't gone all that well. The Panthers come to mind. Maybe they get RW in as the presumed backup but have the option to pull Bryce Young in the event he continues to struggle. GB could be another team like this.

Every year, you have established starters that get hurt in pre-season or early in the regular season. Hard to predict that, but one option for RW if he doesn't see anything he likes (or just doesn't get any takers) is to sit by the phone and wait for a QB need to emerge. This might be called the Joe Flacco in the near future.

Lots of possible scenarios out there, but it's really hard to see the marriage continue at Mile High with the way things are right now.

No way Russ goes somewhere to be the backup.

If I were to put odds on it I would say he goes to one of Atlanta, WTFs, Raiders, or maybe Pitt. Maybe New Orleans.

Tenn has a young QB they are going to want to build on. The Bears will either have Fields or Williams, probably Williams,

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Russ goes somewhere to be the backup.
For sure his preference is going to be walking in the locker room somewhere for the first time and be the announced starter. Does he get that offer? I think so, but don't think it's 100% probability. 2022 was an unmitigated disaster in Denver. He's played demonstrably better this season, but it's still a losing record and not ending well. I think it's at least possible he ends up having to "compete" for a job with a young guy who was supposed to be the man but isn't or hasn't been and team is just looking for an escape hatch even if for 1 or 2 seasons.
If I were to put odds on it I would say he goes to one of Atlanta, WTFs, Raiders, or maybe Pitt. Maybe New Orleans.

His next team is probably in there, agreed. The Saints are a little deeper into Carr than those other teams are to current QBs, so NO looks less likely to me. Falcons seem like the spot to me -- indoors, relatively weak div competition, young stud RB.
Tenn has a young QB they are going to want to build on.
They for sure want to do that, but it's not like they are up their ears financially on Levis. If he's terrible the first 4 games of 2024, I can see a HC like Vrabel being interested in turning to a vet guy. Sitting a year or even 2 wouldn't kill Levis' career.

The Bears will either have Fields or Williams, probably Williams,
Yeah, probably. But maybe they aren't in love with Williams and decide to trade Fields? In that case, they might value the haul they can get for the 1.1 more than Caleb Williams. Probably not, but it wouldn't be as crazy as trading up for Mitch Trubisky.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure his preference is going to be walking in the locker room somewhere for the first time and be the announced starter. Does he get that offer? I think so, but don't think it's 100% probability. 2022 was an unmitigated disaster in Denver. He's played demonstrably better this season, but it's still a losing record and not ending well. I think it's at least possible he ends up having to "compete" for a job with a young guy who was supposed to be the man but isn't or hasn't been and team is just looking for an escape hatch even if for 1 or 2 seasons.

His next team is probably in there, agreed. The Saints are a little deeper into Carr than those other teams are to current QBs, so NO looks less likely to me. Falcons seem like the spot to me -- indoors, relatively weak div competition, young stud RB.

Yeah. I think the Raiders or the Falcons would be the top destinations. I would be shocked if Russ isn't given a starting gig. If he's smart he would look for the team with the best OL.

They for sure want to do that, but it's not like they are up their ears financially on Levis. If he's terrible the first 4 games of 2024, I can see a HC like Vrabel being interested in turning to a vet guy. Sitting a year or even 2 wouldn't kill Levis' career.

Yeah but I doubt Russ is going to want to take that bet.

Yeah, probably. But maybe they aren't in love with Williams and decide to trade Fields? In that case, they might value the haul they can get for the 1.1 more than Caleb Williams. Probably not, but it wouldn't be as crazy as trading up for Mitch Trubisky.

They may stick with Fields and trade that pick for a ransom but I think that is unlikely. Fields tops out as a good Top 15 QB. Williams could be a Top 5 guy

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if cut, wilson can sign for the vet minimum and still make his guaranteed $39m from the broncos. if he signs for anything more, its offset and he is saving the broncos money.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I think the Raiders or the Falcons would be the top destinations. I would be shocked if Russ isn't given a starting gig. If he's smart he would look for the team with the best OL.

They may stick with Fields and trade that pick for a ransom but I think that is unlikely. Fields tops out as a good Top 15 QB. Williams could be a Top 5 guy
WASH could be a legit opportunity for him... If I remember correctly, WASH was trying to trade for RW but the Hawks wanted RW out of the NFC... WASH actually offered a better deal at the time...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think RW will be in the driver's seat and just get to pick his favorite spot of all the teams that have a QB need. Some will have no interest at all. Others may be open to it with modest financial commitment. I think there is at least a chance that there will be only 1 or 2 serious suitors, and that might not be where he wants to go. Will he just take the best of the starting offers out there, or would he consider going to a more appealing destination but not handed the starting job? Or maybe a hybrid where he takes a 1 year deal as a starter somewhere in hopes to turn it into something more lucrative in '25? I can see it going a few different ways with him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think RW will be in the driver's seat and just get to pick his favorite spot of all the teams that have a QB need. Some will have no interest at all. Others may be open to it with modest financial commitment. I think there is at least a chance that there will be only 1 or 2 serious suitors, and that might not be where he wants to go. Will he just take the best of the starting offers out there, or would he consider going to a more appealing destination but not handed the starting job? Or maybe a hybrid where he takes a 1 year deal as a starter somewhere in hopes to turn it into something more lucrative in '25? I can see it going a few different ways with him.

I agree that there probably will only be a couple of teams seriously interested.

I would be absolutely shocked to see Russ pick a team where he would start off as the backup.

Given he's going to be paid a ton of money next year and, as Mrs notes, he could come to a team for basically nothing. So given he won't cost anything and be almost no risk, he will likely have suitors promising him a starting gig.

Who knows what will motivate him but if he's smart he will find a team that has a competent OL.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it doesnt look like there will be many teams desperate for an aged and mostly washed QB even if he will come dirt cheap. I could see the raiders and stealers, MAYBE redskins if they for some reason pass on taking a QB.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2024 the Seahawks will draft a QB, but Geno Smith will be the starting QB. I’m more interested in what a Seattle does with Drew Lock.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there probably will only be a couple of teams seriously interested.

I would be absolutely shocked to see Russ pick a team where he would start off as the backup.

Given he's going to be paid a ton of money next year and, as Mrs notes, he could come to a team for basically nothing. So given he won't cost anything and be almost no risk, he will likely have suitors promising him a starting gig.

Who knows what will motivate him but if he's smart he will find a team that has a competent OL.
I think as many as 10 teams could be interested in Wilson.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2024 the Seahawks will draft a QB, but Geno Smith will be the starting QB. I’m more interested in what a Seattle does with Drew Lock.
If they draft a QB w/ one of their picks, then Lock will not be resigned... I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that they will even draft a QB... I wouldn't be surprised if we rolled with Geno/Lock again next season...