• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have been trying to have that special weapon at TE since Pete got here. Remember we gave Greg "cooked" Olsen $7 mill as well.
they hardly ever throw to TEs though, why invest so much money in it?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was dominant in the college game. im standing by taking a nickel corner over a DT in the top 5 is stupid.
Course you do, you been pounding the table for a DT with the first pick( Jordan Davis and Carter) last couple of years, but Reed is probably better than either and Davis looks better than Carter. Easy to say build from the inside, but first the talent has to be available in the draft and usually it isn't. Reaching for mediocre talent to satisfy your philosophy isn't a winning method. It's not that GMs and HC don't understand that winning in the trenches is important, it's that the Aaron Donalds of the world are really rare and it doesn't pay to reach for talent that isn't there.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Course you do, you been pounding the table for a DT with the first pick( Jordan Davis and Carter) last couple of years, but Reed is probably better than either and Davis looks better than Carter. Easy to say build from the inside, but first the talent has to be available in the draft and usually it isn't. Reaching for mediocre talent to satisfy your philosophy isn't a winning method. It's not that GMs and HC don't understand that winning in the trenches is important, it's that the Aaron Donalds of the world are really rare and it doesn't pay to reach for talent that isn't there.
DT was and still is a need. like I said, had we picked carter its unlikely we trade for williams.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT was and still is a need. like I said, had we picked carter its unlikely we trade for williams.
Nope. Carter is a role player, even in college. His job is to come in on passing down and provide a push from the middle of the line, that's it. Reed is a every down player and better than Carter.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats not even the point, picking a CB over a DT is bad drafting.

Then say that. Don't try to disparage him by suggesting that he is "merely" a nickel corner.

to be fair, lynch took over in 2017 and in that time span they took one WR in round 1 which i missed. however, it was their second pick in round 1 that year.

but you can see with all their high picks they didnt take anything but OL and DL. if they had the #5 pick would they have taken witherspoon or carter? I think its hard to argue they would have chosen witherspoon.

they also traded FOUR draft picks to get Christian McCaffrey. If you want to pretend that Carter didn't have big question marks that's on you. As I have said repeatedly, I wanted Carter. But if they felt that Carter was too big a risk then there were no other linemen I would have wanted.

I dont see it as doing it at the expense of the rest of your team. some positions should never be taken in round 1 because they dont provide the value that other positions do.

lets say the TE from GA brock bowers is there when we pick, would you take him? at 20ish he would clearly be the "best player" available.

I dunno. We already 2-3 TEs that are all pretty competent. Even if we cut Dissly, TE doesn't seem to be a huge need. So that would affect any valuation of a TE. As it stands, I would want them to focus on DT, S, LB with the pick. But if some other player pops up that poses great value then I would be fine with that.

Arguing that it is better to take the 6th best edger rusher than the best safety is pretty bad reasoning.

witherspoon is a good player im not criticizing him at all, I think its bad drafting philosophically to take outside players over inside players in round 1.

ive clearly said they should have taken carter.

if we had taken carter, we dont trade away a 2nd for a 30 year old DL on the last year of his contract.

I think there is almost no question that Spoon has a bigger impact on our defense than Carter would have. Carter only plays about 40% of the defensive snaps. He has a couple of big plays a game but is also invisible for much of the game. Witherspoon has been a significant factor in all the games he's played.

Carter may turn out to be the better player but saying that is incompetent to draft the 2nd best defensive player in the draft rather than the best is pretty silly. Corners matter.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I completely disagree. You have a wildly overstated opinion of the impact that Carter has had for the Eagles.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Carter is a role player, even in college. His job is to come in on passing down and provide a push from the middle of the line, that's it. Reed is a every down player and better than Carter.
reed plays 70% of snaps, carter plays 53% as a rookie. only a handful of DTs play 80% or more, every team plays a rotating group of DTs. outside of reed, our DT group is pathetically weak.
I completely disagree. You have a wildly overstated opinion of the impact that Carter has had for the Eagles.
you really think if we had carter, we still go out and trade a 2nd for a 30 year old DL on the last year of his contract? it was a desperation move, I think we all agreed on that at the time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you really think if we had carter, we still go out and trade a 2nd for a 30 year old DL on the last year of his contract? it was a desperation move, I think we all agreed on that at the time.

It was most certainly NOT a desperation move. But if we drafted Carter, our defense would still be about the same and we would have weaker coverage in the backfield.

IMO, we are going to resign Williams. Giving up a 2nd for 3-5 years of an effective DE/DT is fine with me. But if we don't we likely wind up with a 3rd round comp pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reed plays 70% of snaps, carter plays 53% as a rookie
Reed is 31 but still out snapping Carter and I'd wager he does the same next year at 32 years of age but hopefully the Seahawks find some depth behind him this off season.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was most certainly NOT a desperation move. But if we drafted Carter, our defense would still be about the same and we would have weaker coverage in the backfield.

IMO, we are going to resign Williams. Giving up a 2nd for 3-5 years of an effective DE/DT is fine with me. But if we don't we likely wind up with a 3rd round comp pick.
it was definitely a desperation move, we had almost zero depth on the DL.

ill be shocked if we resign him, he is going to be very pricy.
Reed is 31 but still out snapping Carter and I'd wager he does the same next year at 32 years of age but hopefully the Seahawks find some depth behind him this off season.
the eagles DL is stacked, ours is thin as a pancake so it makes sense he is playing 70% of the snaps. he only played 41.5% of snaps last year for greenbay and 43% with the chiefs the year prior. I like reed as a player, but I think you are overvaluing him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was definitely a desperation move, we had almost zero depth on the DL.

ill be shocked if we resign him, he is going to be very pricy.

Why is he going to be pricey? He's on the wrong side of 30.

Are you saying that had we drafted Carter we would have had depth at DL? Nwosu was our best pass rusher. When he went down, we needed someone else to help the pass rush.

the eagles DL is stacked, ours is thin as a pancake so it makes sense he is playing 70% of the snaps. he only played 41.5% of snaps last year for greenbay and 43% with the chiefs the year prior. I like reed as a player, but I think you are overvaluing him.

And yet the Seahawks and Eagles defenses have been largely identical this year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a show where they touched on the Bronco's and decisions they need to make this off season. They discussed the fact that if RW is on the roster 5th day of the 2024 season his 2025 salary becomes guaranteed. They felt it was going to be 50/50 that RW gets released, because his cap hit in 2025 is 55 million and if released they save 37million against the cap 2025.
If he get released how would everyone feel about signing him if the price was right?

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a show where they touched on the Bronco's and decisions they need to make this off season. They discussed the fact that if RW is on the roster 5th day of the 2024 season his 2025 salary becomes guaranteed. They felt is was going to be 50/50 that RW gets released, because his cap hit in 2025 is 55 million and if released they save 37million against the cap 2025.
If he get released how would everyone feel about signing him if the price was right?
That's an interesting twist... I'm going to say, no... I don't wish to have him back as our starter too be honest... He wasn't that impressive to me in his last season with us...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting twist... I'm going to say, no... I don't wish to have him back as our starter too be honest... He wasn't that impressive to me in his last season with us...

He got hurt and came back too soon. But he still had pretty good numbers. He's definitely not the guy he was but he's still effective if his line holds up.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a show where they touched on the Bronco's and decisions they need to make this off season. They discussed the fact that if RW is on the roster 5th day of the 2024 season his 2025 salary becomes guaranteed. They felt is was going to be 50/50 that RW gets released, because his cap hit in 2025 is 55 million and if released they save 37million against the cap 2025.
Tbh, Russ really has lost a lot. I don't think he's any better than Geno at this stage. No thanks. Can't see him accepting mid to bottom tier money either. It is kinda hard to wrap one's brain around that scenario.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tbh, Russ really has lost a lot. I don't think he's any better than Geno at this stage. No thanks. Can't see him accepting mid to bottom tier money either. It is kinda hard to wrap one's brain around that scenario.

I doubt that either Pete or Russ care much for reunion.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is he going to be pricey? He's on the wrong side of 30.
niners gave hargrave a 4 year $84m deal, thats probably the ballpark we are looking at.
Are you saying that had we drafted Carter we would have had depth at DL? Nwosu was our best pass rusher. When he went down, we needed someone else to help the pass rush.
williams is 6'5 305 , carter is 6'3 314 they are more alike than williams and nwosu who is 250lbs
And yet the Seahawks and Eagles defenses have been largely identical this year.
I dont fault them for drafting 2 DL in round 1.
Saw a show where they touched on the Bronco's and decisions they need to make this off season. They discussed the fact that if RW is on the roster 5th day of the 2024 season his 2025 salary becomes guaranteed. They felt it was going to be 50/50 that RW gets released, because his cap hit in 2025 is 55 million and if released they save 37million against the cap 2025.
no. we need youth at QB not a 35 year old has been.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
niners gave hargrave a 4 year $84m deal, thats probably the ballpark we are looking at.

Maybe. We will see. As I said, if he does leave then we probably get a 3rd round compenatory.

williams is 6'5 305 , carter is 6'3 314 they are more alike than williams and nwosu who is 250lbs

I dont fault them for drafting 2 DL in round 1.

Of course you don't fault them. You think that the only appropriate positions take in the entire 1st round is DL, OT and QB. Imagine if the league agreed with you? We would have 5th round edger rushers taken with then 18th pick.

Is the defense better with Williams and Witherspoon or Jalen Carter?