• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im moving on from looking at QBs in the draft

What other positions should we look at in round 1? G, LB, DT, DE?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seahawks can worry about QB next year? Your consistent when it comes to QBs, none are good enough to waste a draft pick on, for sure not a first.
As far as what other positions that need addressing I'd say a couple of road grading guards and a inside LB to take Wagner starting position top my list after QB. Going to need safeties once they cut Adams and Diggs but Seahawks hopefully can find them later in the draft. A DT to back up Reed would be good idea. DE depends if they resign Williams or don't.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am always a fan of investing in both lines. You play several of them on every snap, and they get hurt a lot. Specifically, I'm unsure how good we are on the interior of the OL. We have a pair of good & young OTs, but guard play seems to be spotty. Not sure if it wouldn't be better to improve that with free agency though. Get someone who is proven and ready to be plugged in right away.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a video of Daniels and was surprised at how skinny he was. Chicken legs. I think the Seahawks best hope is to land either Penix or Nix, hoping one of them could still be on the board when the Seahawks pick is OTC.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks can worry about QB next year? Your consistent when it comes to QBs, none are good enough to waste a draft pick on, for sure not a first.
As far as what other positions that need addressing I'd say a couple of road grading guards and a inside LB to take Wagner starting position top my list after QB. Going to need safeties once they cut Adams and Diggs but Seahawks hopefully can find them later in the draft. A DT to back up Reed would be good idea. DE depends if they resign Williams or don't.
I dont think theyre going to draft a QB, so mentally I am moving on, not going to waste time looking at them.

I could definitely see them taking a S in the first or LB, they seem to prefer spending those on low value positions.
I am always a fan of investing in both lines. You play several of them on every snap, and they get hurt a lot. Specifically, I'm unsure how good we are on the interior of the OL. We have a pair of good & young OTs, but guard play seems to be spotty. Not sure if it wouldn't be better to improve that with free agency though. Get someone who is proven and ready to be plugged in right away.
G or DT should be the pick since we will likely be drafting in the bottom 3rd of round 1, but I do think a S will be a strong possibility and I will hate it if thats what they do.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think theyre going to draft a QB, so mentally I am moving on, not going to waste time looking at them.

I could definitely see them taking a S in the first or LB, they seem to prefer spending those on low value positions.

G or DT should be the pick since we will likely be drafting in the bottom 3rd of round 1, but I do think a S will be a strong possibility and I will hate it if thats what they do.

I don't think a safety is a bad pick in the latter parts of the 1st round. In the late 1st, you take the best player on your list regardless of positional value.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what's worth:

"Positions like safety, linebacker, interior offensive line, tight end, and running back have become rarities in the first round of the NFL Draft because they don’t provide enough surplus value relative to acquisition cost. These positions are also readily available on the open market, so teams are betting off taking home-run swings on positions where elite options can’t be found in free agency."

These figures are from 2013 to 2017

1703018847158.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a safety is a bad pick in the latter parts of the 1st round. In the late 1st, you take the best player on your list regardless of positional value.
Yeah, as long as the player ends up being good then I don't sweat the position all that much. Most of us were pretty angry to see the team pass on Jalen Carter, but Witherspoon has been a phenom and maybe already the best player on defense. Right player & wrong position is way better than Right position & wrong player. We whiffed on quite a few 1st and 2nd rounders in the 6 or 7 drafts after SB48, and it killed the overall talent level on the team. There were some hits in there but just way too many misses. Gotta hit those early picks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what's worth:

Positions like safety, linebacker, interior offensive line, tight end, and running back have become rarities in the first round of the NFL Draft because they don’t provide enough surplus value relative to acquisition cost. These positions are also readily available on the open market, so teams are betting off taking home-run swings on positions where elite options can’t be found in free agency.

These figures are from 2013 to 2017

Those positional valuations are guides and should never be treated as gospel. TEs are lower on the positional value chart but having someone like George Kittle or Travis Kelce changes and entire offense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those positional valuations are guides and should never be treated as gospel. TEs are lower on the positional value chart but having someone like George Kittle or Travis Kelce changes and entire offense.
The Seahawks drafted Earl Thomas with the 1.14 so it is something the Seahawks have done before and done well with.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelce and Kittle were later round picks, gronk was taken at 42. I cant remember the last round 1 TE that was worth it.

Round one should be strictly DL, OL and QB. Everything else is dependent on those three things and can be found later.

The Seahawks drafted Earl Thomas with the 1.14 so it is something the Seahawks have done before and done well with.
He was the exception. 99/100 you dont take a safety that high

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelce and Kittle were later round picks, gronk was taken at 42. I cant remember the last round 1 TE that was worth it.

Round one should be strictly DL, OL and QB. Everything else is dependent on those three things and can be found later.

That's an absurd approach.

You take the best player on your board which is weighted by need.

Certainly linemen weight more than a tight end. But you need difference makers wherever you can get them.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's an absurd approach.

You take the best player on your board which is weighted by need.

Certainly linemen weight more than a tight end. But you need difference makers wherever you can get them.

I disagree

You should NEVER take a RB or a te round 1. Wr is borderline, would only take one if you have every other piece you need.

LB and S also highly questionable in round 1, corner is like WR you only take one if you have everything else covered

Build from the inside out and every other position is improved almost by default.

Taking a nickel corner over a dominant DT should be a fire able offense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree

You should NEVER take a RB or a te round 1. Wr is borderline, would only take one if you have every other piece you need.

LB and S also highly questionable in round 1, corner is like WR you only take one if you have everything else covered

Build from the inside out and every other position is improved almost by default.

The term dominant is used incorrectly by fans so often.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree

The problem with drafting linemen high is college does a poor job of developing them and those worth having are off the board by the time the Seahawks pick, has lead to reaching for the position.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do agree that safety usually isn't a premium position in the draft and college pumps out so many safeties that a team can wait till later in the draft.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Lock?

I'll see myself out.
Heh.

I don't know what's going to happen at QB here next year. Lock is scheduled to be a FA, and Geno has a cap # of $31M but team can get $13M of that back if he's cut. It seems like there is a pretty good chance that the '24 week 1 starter is not currently on the team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree

That simply is not how you build a football team. Forcing a decision to go for certain positions is a recipe for mediocrity.

Dismissing Whitherspoon as being merely a nickel corner suggests your need to be right dwarfs any sense of objectivity.

Calling Jalen Carter a dominant DT already doesn't help your case either.

I guess you have to leave JSN alone for a week given the game last night so I get it.