• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be absolutely shocked if they don't take one of Williams or Maye with the 1st pick.
That might be what they do, but they went that route with Trubisky and then Fields, so maybe they want to try a different approach. Likely depends if they feel either Williams or Maye is a slam dunk franchise or elite talent and if they want to give up on Fields. Also depends on tempting the offers are, last years offer of 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a good WR was pretty sweet IMO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be what they do, but they went that route with Trubisky and then Fields, so maybe they want to try a different approach. Likely depends if they feel either Williams or Maye is a slam dunk franchise or elite talent and if they want to give up on Fields. Also depends on tempting the offers are, last years offer of 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a good WR was pretty sweet IMO.

Ryan Poles didn't draft either one of those guys and Williams and Maye are much better prospects than either of them.

This year's No. 1 is going to cost more than 2 1st and 2 2nds and a WR.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields is more physically gifted certainly. But that doesn't mean he's a better QB.

Giving up assets in hopes that he will learn to be more of a QB and less of a runner seems pretty dicey to me.
I certainly wouldn't want the team to trade much for him. Maybe a 3rd rounder, but there will undoubtedly be someone out there willing to give up more.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do we think is the future for Drew Lock? Right now it seems him playing again this season is unlikely if Geno is healthy, and he (Lock) will be a free agent this off-season. Did he do enough in his 2 recent starts that some team w/o an established starter would bring him in for a true shot at winning the job? He's definitely not going to get starter money, but I could see a decent backup deal with a few incentives that bump it up a bit if he takes more than 50% of the snaps or something like that. Maybe the league just views him as a career backup? Most of the free agency decisions will be done well ahead of the draft, so he won't know what teams will go after QBs early in that before picking his next spot. I don't think he really got a genuine opportunity to win the job here, but is there any way the Hawks bring him back? Would he even want to return?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do we think is the future for Drew Lock? Right now it seems him playing again this season is unlikely if Geno is healthy, and he (Lock) will be a free agent this off-season. Did he do enough in his 2 recent starts that some team w/o an established starter would bring him in for a true shot at winning the job? He's definitely not going to get starter money, but I could see a decent backup deal with a few incentives that bump it up a bit if he takes more than 50% of the snaps or something like that. Maybe the league just views him as a career backup? Most of the free agency decisions will be done well ahead of the draft, so he won't know what teams will go after QBs early in that before picking his next spot. I don't think he really got a genuine opportunity to win the job here, but is there any way the Hawks bring him back? Would he even want to return?
I think he's got a good chance to return depending of course on the cost, either as Geno's backup or to compete for the starter job with a rookie if they cut Geno in a cap space move.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's got a good chance to return depending of course on the cost, either as Geno's backup or to compete for the starter job with a rookie if they cut Geno in a cap space move.
Yeah, could be. I think Geno is going to get cut in early Feb though unless he just lights it up these last 3 weeks. And if he does play well enough to convince the team he's worth that 2024 cap space, that all but assures his starting job for next year because you can't pay your backup what Geno is due to cost in '24. And in that case, Lock knows he's only coming back here to be QB2. It seems like he would want a situation where there was a chance to be the starter. Even with those teams drafting in the top 10 and presumably will go QB, some may like the idea of having Lock start for a season instead of throwing the rookie in there right way. Could go a number of ways and will be very interesting to see how it shakes out.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would be very surprised if geno is not starting next year, ill be mildly surprised if lock is our backup. he will go to another team where he can compete for the starting spot.

this team is too stubborn to move on from geno that easily.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this team is too stubborn to move on from geno that easily.

It's so infuriating also. There is in my eyes a better ( younger ) option with possible upside.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what we do, we will be in the same position we are in now so the entire conversation is a moot point. Until this team builds a legitimate defense and gets a DC with an actual modern scheme, we are spinning our tires. And we aren't getting that as long as Pete is in charge because he doesn't want to bring in a big name DC to overshadow him. As for QBs, draft a kid and hope he develops but we still need a veteran to mentor him. Cut Geno and start Drew Lock, I don't care. We go to 7-10 and drafting a little higher instead of 9-8 and marginal play-off team that is either one and done or gets lucky and wins a WC game.
Everybody gets all hyped up about these kids coming out of college and they are virtually all closer to busts than booms. For every Joe Burrow there are 3 Jamarcus Russell's and a whole shitload of mediocre. It's mind boggling to me that we play this game year after year. It's like a compulsive gambler at the craps table.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Mahomes and Hurts make some really bad throws today, shows that even very good QBs make bad decisions and bad throws.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point Seattle is too far back in the draft to get a QB so O line or D line should be drafted. Since Pete isn't going anywhere, I expect Geno back and maybe Lock if no one shows interest signing him.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to see C/G or DT with our 1st which will be in the early 20s most likely

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Mahomes and Hurts make some really bad throws today, shows that even very good QBs make bad decisions and bad throws.
Purdy with 4 picks that could’ve very easily been sick. Just through 3 quarters

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy with 4 picks that could’ve very easily been sick. Just through 3 quarters

Football is the most complex sport in the world. All it takes is one person failing at their job and the entire system breaks down. The QB is the most important player but everyone else matters.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point Seattle is too far back in the draft to get a QB so O line or D line should be drafted.
I guess it all depends on which one you were hoping for. Our draft slot projection before winning these last 2 games was ~15. That wouldn't have landed Caleb Williams or Drake Maye and probably also not whoever you think is the 3rd best QB. Here are Kiper's rankings of the top 6 QBs:
  1. Caleb Williams
  2. Drake Maye
  3. Jayden Daniels
  4. JJ McCarthy
  5. Penix
  6. Bo Nix
Here's where the 4th QB off the board has been picked in the last 10 drafts:
  • 2023: 2.2 (2nd pick of the 2nd round)
  • 2022: 3.30
  • 2021: 1.11
  • 2020: 1.26
  • 2019: 2.10
  • 2018: 1.10
  • 2017: 2.20
  • 2016: 2.20
  • 2015: 3.25
  • 2014: 2.4
It's sort of all over the map, but it seems like there's a decent chance the 4th QB will be there at our 1st round pick. I know we presently do not have a 2nd round pick, but that doesn't mean we won't end up with one. If the front office is in love with Penix or Bo Nix, maybe they make a move on day 2. Or maybe they just roll the dice that one of them is still there in round 3, which could very well happen. The 6th QB usually comes off the board in round 3 or 4 (in these last 10 drafts). Getting the 5th or 6th best QB prospect may not sound as exciting as getting one of the top guys, but that was never in play without a pretty massive trade up.

Since Pete isn't going anywhere, I expect Geno back and maybe Lock if no one shows interest signing him.

The timing of everything will be the forcing function I think. According to what I see on spotrac website, $12.7M of Geno's 2024 contract gets guaranteed on 2/14/24. And then on the 5th day of the 2024 league year (begins March 13th), Geno will earn a $9.6 million roster bonus. Free agency also begins on 3/13/24. Based on those time hacks, the first decision the team has to make is whether it's committed to Geno for 2024, so Drew Lock (and everyone else) will have that information 4 weeks ahead of free agency. I would bet against Drew Lock choosing to come back as the QB2 if the Hawks move forward with Geno, but I guess we'll find out. The wildcard could be an unexpected decision on Pete. Maybe he just decides to retire, and that throws everything on its ear potentially.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depends on which one you were hoping for. Our draft slot projection before winning these last 2 games was ~15. That wouldn't have landed Caleb Williams or Drake Maye and probably also not whoever you think is the 3rd best QB. Here are Kiper's rankings of the top 6 QBs:
  1. Caleb Williams
  2. Drake Maye
  3. Jayden Daniels
  4. JJ McCarthy
  5. Penix
  6. Bo Nix
It's sort of all over the map, but it seems like there's a decent chance the 4th QB will be there at our 1st round pick. I know we presently do not have a 2nd round pick, but that doesn't mean we won't end up with one. If the front office is in love with Penix or Bo Nix, maybe they make a move on day 2. Or maybe they just roll the dice that one of them is still there in round 3, which could very well happen. The 6th QB usually comes off the board in round 3 or 4 (in these last 10 drafts). Getting the 5th or 6th best QB prospect may not sound as exciting as getting one of the top guys, but that was never in play without a pretty massive trade up.

The timing of everything will be the forcing function I think. According to what I see on spotrac website, $12.7M of Geno's 2024 contract gets guaranteed on 2/14/24. And then on the 5th day of the 2024 league year (begins March 13th), Geno will earn a $9.6 million roster bonus. Free agency also begins on 3/13/24. Based on those time hacks, the first decision the team has to make is whether it's committed to Geno for 2024, so Drew Lock (and everyone else) will have that information 4 weeks ahead of free agency. I would bet against Drew Lock choosing to come back as the QB2 if the Hawks move forward with Geno, but I guess we'll find out. The wildcard could be an unexpected decision on Pete. Maybe he just decides to retire, and that throws everything on its ear potentially.
I'd take Penix before Nix and JJ but if Seattle does make the playoffs they'll be middle 20s drafting which could still land the 4th QB but lots of teams need QB in front of us.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Caleb Williams
  2. Drake Maye
  3. Jayden Daniels
  4. JJ McCarthy
  5. Penix
  6. Bo Nix

Yes looking at the contract guaranteed dates, the Seahawks will half to decide on Geno in February, thus not able to use the post June 1st date to spread the dead money over two seasons. So if they cut him they save 13 million and eat 17 million and will have to pay for who ever is the starting QB. A rookie would obviously be cheap, but all in all cutting Geno doesn't create as much cap space as one would hope for. Also the Seahawks won't know how many or which QBs will be on the board when the Seahawks pick, before they have to decide Geno's future with the team in February.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes looking at the contract guaranteed dates, the Seahawks will half to decide on Geno in February, thus not able to use the post June 1st date to spread the dead money over two seasons. So if they cut him they save 13 million and eat 17 million and will have to pay for who ever is the starting QB. A rookie would obviously be cheap, but all in all cutting Geno doesn't create as much cap space as one would hope for. Also the Seahawks won't know how many or which QBs will be on the board when the Seahawks pick, before they have to decide Geno's future with the team in February.

I would be pretty surprised if they move on from Geno unless Pete retires.

I think it is possible they draft a QB relatively early and move on from Lock though. But it's also possible that they stick with both.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it is possible they draft a QB relatively early and move on from Lock though. But it's also possible that they stick with both.
I agree, Geno will be the starter next year. hard to justify moving on from a QB who took you to the playoffs two years in a row.

with Lock, I could see a really QB needy team that didnt get what they wanted in the draft picking up him up and letting him compete for QB

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After looking at Geno's contract I now also expect Pete will keep Geno. I'm amazed at how quick Pete has the Seahawks in the usual pickle of drafting late, short on draft picks and little cap space and while a decent roster, it has holes that need filling with no obvious way to fill them with quality players. I'm now worried Pete will decide to pass on a QB in the first round and really screw the Seahawks future potential by employing a JAG at QB rather then ponying up for a potentially true franchise QB in order to remain a marginal play off team with fatal flaws.