• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Geno will be the starter next year. hard to justify moving on from a QB who took you to the playoffs two years in a row.

with Lock, I could see a really QB needy team that didnt get what they wanted in the draft picking up him up and letting him compete for QB
You have more in common with Pete then you realize.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking at Geno's contract I now also expect Pete will keep Geno. I'm amazed at how quick Pete has the Seahawks in the usual pickle of drafting late, short on draft picks and little cap space and while a decent roster, it has holes that need filling with no obvious way to fill them with quality players. I'm now worried Pete will decide to pass on a QB in the first round and really screw the Seahawks future potential by employing a JAG at QB rather then ponying up for a potentially true franchise QB in order to remain a marginal play off team with fatal flaws.

FTR, this was why I was so upset that we didn't move on from Pete once we traded Russ. It's possible there is a QB at 22 or so that will be a franchise QB but the odds aren't great. Maybe someone like McCarthy or Sanders could become that but it would take some time.

I don't see Pete using a 1st round pick on a QB that will take 3 years to develop.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Geno leading us to a playoff win or two. I'd honestly be surprised if we don't go another route in the off season...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Geno will be the starter next year. hard to justify moving on from a QB who took you to the playoffs two years in a row.

with Lock, I could see a really QB needy team that didnt get what they wanted in the draft picking up him up and letting him compete for QB

Unless he gets lots more opportunities in these last 2 games, it's pretty unlikely that any team is going to want to take a big risk on Lock. Despite the delusions of certain posters here, Lock has done nothing notable that would convince some other team that he is a hidden gem. He's been....... fine. Like most other QBs in the league.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Geno leading us to a playoff win or two. I'd honestly be surprised if we don't go another route in the off season...
Moving on from him is going to cost a pretty penny. And then we will be relying on completely unproven player like a rookie or Lock or some other cast off. I don't see that happening at all.

If you were to ask Pete what the 5 biggest problems with this team are, no way does he list Geno on that list. Maybe he is, but Pete doesn't think that.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he gets lots more opportunities in these last 2 games, it's pretty unlikely that any team is going to want to take a big risk on Lock. Despite the delusions of certain posters here, Lock has done nothing notable that would convince some other team that he is a hidden gem. He's been....... fine. Like most other QBs in the league.
he could be brought in to compete, on a team like the raiders if they miss out on drafting a QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he could be brought in to compete, on a team like the raiders if they miss out on drafting a QB.

Sure. But why leave Seattle just to compete on a team that probably has more problems? A team would need to give him a pretty big bump in pay, IMO.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. But why leave Seattle just to compete on a team that probably has more problems? A team would need to give him a pretty big bump in pay, IMO.
if he wants to be a starter, he has a better chance going to the raiders. he has basically 0 chance here unless geno goes on IR.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, this was why I was so upset that we didn't move on from Pete once we traded Russ. It's possible there is a QB at 22 or so that will be a franchise QB but the odds aren't great. Maybe someone like McCarthy or Sanders could become that but it would take some time.

I don't see Pete using a 1st round pick on a QB that will take 3 years to develop.
I am worried Pete may pass on a QB in the first, not because it takes 3 years to develop a QB ( Now a days rookie QBs get on the job training immediately, like Prudy for example) but because he wants to fill a different position and he's OK with mediocre at QB ( feels if the rest of the roster is good enough a JAG at QB works fine for him). The problem with that is getting that level of talent just rarely happens with how the NFL has structured the draft and cap. Having a QB that can over come some flaws of the roster is much more realistic approach to becoming a Super Bowl team than compensating for a JAG at QB. If Pete doesn't use the first pick on a QB this upcoming draft I'm going to join the fire Pete ( and John also) bandwagon.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving on from him is going to cost a pretty penny. And then we will be relying on completely unproven player like a rookie or Lock or some other cast off. I don't see that happening at all.

If you were to ask Pete what the 5 biggest problems with this team are, no way does he list Geno on that list. Maybe he is, but Pete doesn't think that.
I wouldn't be surprised for this reason... Geno has regressed from the 2022 to 2023 season... You'd think with a full year under his belt in 2022 that he would've played at least on par with 2022 or a bit better this year... But it's been the opposite... Why would 2024 be any better? He was given that contract based off his 2022 season and wasn't fully guaranteed his 2nd season on basically, a prove it to me that you're worth a 2024 starting gig in Seattle, type of a deal... Has he earned the starting job in 2024? Time will tell...

Drew Lock is still a wild card in the mix imo...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am worried Pete may pass on a QB in the first, not because it takes 3 years to develop a QB ( Now a days rookie QBs get on the job training immediately, like Prudy for example) but because he wants to fill a different position and he's OK with mediocre at QB ( feels if the rest of the roster is good enough a JAG at QB works fine for him). The problem with that is getting that level of talent just rarely happens with how the NFL has structured the draft and cap. Having a QB that can over come some flaws of the roster is much more realistic approach to becoming a Super Bowl team than compensating for a JAG at QB. If Pete doesn't use the first pick on a QB this upcoming draft I'm going to join the fire Pete ( and John also) bandwagon.

Purdy only got OJT because the other QBs got hurt. Most QBs that aren't taken early in the 1st round, still ride the bench for a while.

I think we all agree that it would be far better to have a franchise QB than not. But that's easier said than done. Especially when you are taking the 4th, 5th or 7th QB taken in a draft.

Gunning for a franchise QB means a rebuild. It might take 2 or 3 for 4 bites at the apple. Pete will never do that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised for this reason... Geno has regressed from the 2022 to 2023 season... You'd think with a full year under his belt in 2022 that he would've played at least on par with 2022 or a bit better this year... But it's been the opposite... Why would 2024 be any better? He was given that contract based off his 2022 season and wasn't fully guaranteed his 2nd season on basically, a prove it to me that you're worth a 2024 starting gig in Seattle, type of a deal... Has he earned the starting job in 2024? Time will tell...

Drew Lock is still a wild card in the mix imo...

I don't think Geno played all that much differently than he did last year.

I think defenses play him a little differently this year. I think our OL has been WILDLY erratic this year. Geno has pressed more this year because we have been behind more.

None of this is to say that Geno is a good QB. He's a somewhat better than league average QB. That means he will have good games and bad games and erratic play. Which is likely with anyone we replace him with that we can get. Just the way it is.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy only got OJT because the other QBs got hurt. Most QBs that aren't taken early in the 1st round, still ride the bench for a while.

I think we all agree that it would be far better to have a franchise QB than not. But that's easier said than done. Especially when you are taking the 4th, 5th or 7th QB taken in a draft.

Gunning for a franchise QB means a rebuild. It might take 2 or 3 for 4 bites at the apple. Pete will never do that.
Fear of failure is no excuse for not trying IMO. I agree the later you pick in a draft the harder it is to land a quality QB, which was why I was all in for the Seahawks to take a major swing while they had both a high draft position and abundant draft capitol to move up. Once they signed Geno to that frigging contract I felt Pete was going to fubar the QB position and not attempt to get that elusive franchise QB and that is exactly what he did. I haven't been able to get over that, it sticks in my craw and if he does it again I'm done with Pete and John. I think Pete can coach with the best of them, but some of his personnel decisions have been god awful. I can only hope he's got enough sense to make the right decision this draft in regard to at least trying to land a potential franchise QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fear of failure is no excuse for not trying IMO. I agree the later you pick in a draft the harder it is to land a quality QB, which was why I was all in for the Seahawks to take a major swing while they had both a high draft position and abundant draft capitol to move up. Once they signed Geno to that frigging contract I felt Pete was going to fubar the QB position and not attempt to get that elusive franchise QB and that is exactly what he did. I haven't been able to get over that, it sticks in my craw and if he does it again I'm done with Pete and John. I think Pete can coach with the best of them, but some of his personnel decisions have been god awful. I can only hope he's got enough sense to make the right decision this draft in regard to at least trying to land a potential franchise QB.

We've been over this before but I will never understand the "draft a quarterback. ANY quarterback" reasoning.

When we drafted last year the only QB we could have drafted is Will Levis. What has Will Levis shown to indicate he's going to be a franchise QB?

For this year we can safely assume that Maye, Williams, and Daniels are effectively out of our draft reach. So, at best, we would be taking the 4th best QB in the draft. If the Seahawks win out we are likely drafting somewhere around 25. Of the next 3 likely options(McCarthy, Penix, Nix) at least one of them is probably gone by our pick. I just don't see that as some sort of must draft move. If they like someone, great, take them. But probably not.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless we get extremely fluky in the draft and somehow end up like the Ravens in 2018 did, I just don't see an answer out there. And finding another Lamar is extremely unlikely. When we are picking in the low 20's, we are far more likely to get a Kenny Picket or Sam Howell type. Or basically Drew Lock. I honestly don't know the answer here. One thing for sure, we need to fix some other problems as well. There's a lot of things to like on the team and we see flashes but it's still a rebuild whether we call it that or not. And there will be some cap casualties that we need to replace. As angry as we may be on this Geno thing, we have to step back and understand that other things need to fall into place.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been over this before but I will never understand the "draft a quarterback. ANY quarterback" reasoning.
Yes we have been over this before. I'll try once more, picking a top ranked QB in the draft when you also need a top QB is NOT
"draft a quarterback. ANY quarterback" reasoning.
It's trying to fill the most important position in football when your in the position to draft one of the top prospects available in the draft. It's a golden opportunity that rarely happens to a team that routinely drafts in the 20's and to just pass on it almost unforgivable in my mind. It's utter nonsense to worry about failure in picking the right QB of the top prospects because if you pass your going to have to find that QB when the odds are much more stacked against finding that quality QB as the cream will be gone by the time the Seahawks pick is OTC. The odds of finding the next Purdy is so small that I want to smack folks that claim it would of been foolish of the Seahawks to go all in on a QB last season. That QB class was pretty good, yet those that foolishly wanted a different position filled ( much like Pete) would put out that in their professional opinions that draft was poor at QB and the Seahawks need to pass on a QB for a "safer position", as if all positions don't routinely have busts. Those same folks will want the Seahawks to pass on a QB again and makes me want to pound my head against the wall. Course when the Seahawks actually take the path they are rooting for they will be up in arms at the failure of the Seahawks staff to put together a Super Bowl contender. I swear it makes me want to quit following football.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we have been over this before. I'll try once more, picking a top ranked QB in the draft when you also need a top QB is NOT

It is though. I would say the same exact thing about any other position. It is what hobbles football teams. They focus more on need than talent.
If there is a QB on the board that they rate as being worth a 1st round pick when they pick, then they should take him

It's trying to fill the most important position in football when your in the position to draft one of the top prospects available in the draft. It's a golden opportunity that rarely happens to a team that routinely drafts in the 20's and to just pass on it almost unforgivable in my mind. It's utter nonsense to worry about failure in picking the right QB of the top prospects because if you pass your going to have to find that QB when the odds are much more stacked against finding that quality QB as the cream will be gone by the time the Seahawks pick is OTC. The odds of finding the next Purdy is so small that I want to smack folks that claim it would of been foolish of the Seahawks to go all in on a QB last season. That QB class was pretty good, yet those that foolishly wanted a different position filled ( much like Pete) would put out that in their professional opinions that draft was poor at QB and the Seahawks need to pass on a QB for a "safer position", as if all positions don't routinely have busts. Those same folks will want the Seahawks to pass on a QB again and makes me want to pound my head against the wall. Course when the Seahawks actually take the path they are rooting for they will be up in arms at the failure of the Seahawks staff to put together a Super Bowl contender. I swear it makes me want to quit following football.

So you think it was a failure to take Witherspoon over Levis?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think it was a failure to take Witherspoon over Levis?
The failure was not moving up in the draft, earlier I said I couldn't recommend giving up 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a WR for the #1 pick like the Panthers did. I want to correct that statement because the Seahawks should of been willing to do that. Now that likely won't be adequate for the #1( this draft) considering their draft position this year and yes I would of wanted Levi over Witherspoon ( obviously would not of been necessary as they could of taken Levi with their second first) but I'd rather they the Seahawks would of went for the home run with the #1 overall and pray they don't take the shorty.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he's on the list but Pete won't say it. He has eyeballs like everyone else and seen his struggles.