• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. We will see. As I said, if he does leave then we probably get a 3rd round compenatory.
I think they should resign him, Im not sure they will.
Of course you don't fault them. You think that the only appropriate positions take in the entire 1st round is DL, OT and QB. Imagine if the league agreed with you? We would have 5th round edger rushers taken with then 18th pick.
there will always be teams drafting TE in the top 5.
Is the defense better with Williams and Witherspoon or Jalen Carter?
i like williams as a player, I question the wisdom of giving up a 2nd for potentially a half year rental.

if thats the case, carter makes a lot more sense.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like williams as a player, I question the wisdom of giving up a 2nd for potentially a half year rental.

if thats the case, carter makes a lot more sense.

If he walks then presumably they will make sure to get comp picks and get a 3rd for him. We also know that he can fit into this system which increases his value for this team.

Williams is better than Carter right now. Add Spoon and we now have a significantly better defense than if we simply drafted Carter. Sadly our LB and Safety play is letting us down.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a show where they touched on the Bronco's and decisions, they need to make this off season. They discussed the fact that if RW is on the roster 5th day of the 2024 season his 2025 salary becomes guaranteed. They felt it was going to be 50/50 that RW gets released, because his cap hit in 2025 is 55 million and if released they save 37million against the cap 2025.
If he get released how would everyone feel about signing him if the price was right?

I can't see Denver doing that. The gymnastics they would have to do to make this work for 2024 is insane. If they cut him pre-June 1, the 2024 cap hit is $85 million, which costs them an additional $49.6 million on their cap (which is $20 million over next seasons estimated cap already). A straight cut to save the cap in 2025 would cost them more than 1/3 of their 2024 cap space. Unless Denver is looking to completely blow it up - there's little reason for them to cut him in 2024 as they'd have to restructure just about every player making any significant amount of money to even field a team in 2025.

The only way Denver saves $37 million in 2025 is if they use a post June 1 cut after 2024, which wouldn't happen because that $37 million would be guaranteed after the 5th day of the off season. So, the cost of cutting him post June 1 in 2024 would save them nothing in the current year but cost them $86 million in 2025. If cut before the guarantee becomes guaranteed, then they save the entire 55 million in 2025.

Now, I went looking for this and though I can't say I found what you found, I did find one where the guys were claiming the same thing. Their solution was to designate him a Post-June 1 cut before the deadline for guarantee. They go into great detail why this works, but they're wrong. A team can declare a player a post June 1 cut that early, but they are required by rule to carry the player on their roster until June 1. While on the roster the player still incurs any bonuses and incentives being on the roster nets them. Russell's 2025 salary still becomes guaranteed for the Broncos, he still costs $35 million against 2024 and still costs $86 million against 2025. You don't get post June 1 benefit by cutting him before June 1.

If they want to take a dead cap hit more than twice as large as the largest dead cap hit in NFL history then they'll get what they deserve.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Denver doing that. The gymnastics they would have to do to make this work for 2024 is insane. If they cut him pre-June 1, the 2024 cap hit is $85 million, which costs them an additional $49.6 million on their cap (which is $20 million over next seasons estimated cap already). A straight cut to save the cap in 2025 would cost them more than 1/3 of their 2024 cap space. Unless Denver is looking to completely blow it up - there's little reason for them to cut him in 2024 as they'd have to restructure just about every player making any significant amount of money to even field a team in 2025.

The only way Denver saves $37 million in 2025 is if they use a post June 1 cut after 2024, which wouldn't happen because that $37 million would be guaranteed after the 5th day of the off season. So, the cost of cutting him post June 1 in 2024 would save them nothing in the current year but cost them $86 million in 2025. If cut before the guarantee becomes guaranteed, then they save the entire 55 million in 2025.

Now, I went looking for this and though I can't say I found what you found, I did find one where the guys were claiming the same thing. Their solution was to designate him a Post-June 1 cut before the deadline for guarantee. They go into great detail why this works, but they're wrong. A team can declare a player a post June 1 cut that early, but they are required by rule to carry the player on their roster until June 1. While on the roster the player still incurs any bonuses and incentives being on the roster nets them. Russell's 2025 salary still becomes guaranteed for the Broncos, he still costs $35 million against 2024 and still costs $86 million against 2025. You don't get post June 1 benefit by cutting him before June 1.

If they want to take a dead cap hit more than twice as large as the largest dead cap hit in NFL history then they'll get what they deserve.
After you break it down I think your right. They had mentioned Bronco's being in the hole next season by a 20 million, then mentioned the guarantee of 2025 salary if he was still on the roster in February. Obviously they didn't look at his contract and were just going off the guaranteed date, guess I should of looked at RW contract before posting.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After you break it down I think your right. They had mentioned Bronco's being in the hole next season by a 20 million, then mentioned the guarantee of 2025 salary if he was still on the roster in February. Obviously they didn't look at his contract and were just going off the guaranteed date, guess I should of looked at RW contract before posting.

It's all good. I enjoy breaking this down, you just gave me an excuse to do so :thumb:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's some good info on that situation. Thanks buddy. I was also under the impression that they could cut him right after the SB and although they would still be on the hook for 50 something mil, they would not be on the hook for 2025 and going forward. This kinda, sorta clears it up for me but tbh, I have no idea how a lot of this salary cap math works, lol. At any rate, I still don't want an over the hill Russ back here. He isn't a game changer and would just be another distraction.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great info, blstoker... Thanks for breaking it down... I've always wondered what the hit would be over the next few years along w/ time frames, etc... Thanks again... Very useful...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW would be an upgrade over what we have right now and most likely over whatever rookie we could draft in the spring. Is he what he was 5-7 years ago? Of course not. He can't scramble/run like he used to, but he's 35 not 65 so there is nothing less in the arm or mind. The team wasn't good his final year here, but his numbers were fantastic (25 TDs, 6 INT, 103 rating) and he played just like Russell Wilson once he was fully over the finger thing. I would personally be fine with him coming back, but I don't see it as a good overall fit for either side at this point. It's probably better that unless it's as an opposing player, the next time he's back should be to raise the 12th man flag and get welcomed into the ROH.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a video of Daniels and was surprised at how skinny he was. Chicken legs. I think the Seahawks best hope is to land either Penix or Nix, hoping one of them could still be on the board when the Seahawks pick is OTC.
I would be very happy if we landed Penix, he play’s big in big moments … I get the feeling this playoff run is gonna determine where he gets drafted…

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Russ truly cares about winning like he claims, he needs to restructure to help the Broncos out …

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a show where they touched on the Bronco's and decisions they need to make this off season. They discussed the fact that if RW is on the roster 5th day of the 2024 season his 2025 salary becomes guaranteed. They felt it was going to be 50/50 that RW gets released, because his cap hit in 2025 is 55 million and if released they save 37million against the cap 2025.
If he get released how would everyone feel about signing him if the price was right?
No

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't Golden Tate just raise our 12th man flag? And isn't Golden Tate the guy that was screwing RW's first wife? I think that tells you all you need to know about what our franchise management thinks of RW. He'll never be in a Seahawk uniform again.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Golden Tate just raise our 12th man flag? And isn't Golden Tate the guy that was screwing RW's first wife? I think that tells you all you need to know about what our franchise management thinks of RW. He'll never be in a Seahawk uniform again.
im 99.9% sure that was debunked

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im 99.9% sure that was debunked
Yeah, I know what Tate said on KJ's podcast. I also know that a pro football player is probably the last person you seek out when you are looking for truth and integrity.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know what Tate said on KJ's podcast. I also know that a pro football player is probably the last person you seek out when you are looking for truth and integrity.

Also, that wouldn't be a reason to not have Tate come back.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, that wouldn't be a reason to not have Tate come back.
That's what I'm saying. Our team's management knows that RW cares more about his public image than he does anything else. Whetther the rumor is true or not is not as relevant to RW as the fact that the rumor was/ still is out there. So the fact that Seattle management is indifferent to further alienating RW, to me, shows they have no intentions of ever bringing him back.

Anyway, this is drifting off topic and it's my fault so, I'm dropping it.

I read this morning that Seattle would be a good landing spot for Fields if he is traded this offseason. My apologies if someone in here previously mentioned it. Anyway I don't want Fields here. He was a great college QB but that is not translating well in the NFL.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this morning that Seattle would be a good landing spot for Fields if he is traded this offseason. My apologies if someone in here previously mentioned it. Anyway I don't want Fields here. He was a great college QB but that is not translating well in the NFL.

It's tough with players that appear to be busts on teams like the Bears because they have squandered or flat out ruined so much first round talent over the years, and I'm talking like 4 decades. They've never really had a franchise QB and probably wouldn't know what to do with one if they did. I can see a pathway for Fields to be successful somewhere else. I am not as big of a Cowherd fan as I used to be, but the other day he was raving about the overall quality of the Hawks roster and not picking any bones that we're just missing a "trophy raiser" QB. I don't know if Fields qualifies as one of those, but he's a lot more physically gifted than either of the ones we currently have on the roster.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough with players that appear to be busts on teams like the Bears because they have squandered or flat out ruined so much first round talent over the years, and I'm talking like 4 decades. They've never really had a franchise QB and probably wouldn't know what to do with one if they did. I can see a pathway for Fields to be successful somewhere else. I am not as big of a Cowherd fan as I used to be, but the other day he was raving about the overall quality of the Hawks roster and not picking any bones that we're just missing a "trophy raiser" QB. I don't know if Fields qualifies as one of those, but he's a lot more physically gifted than either of the ones we currently have on the roster.

Fields is more physically gifted certainly. But that doesn't mean he's a better QB.

Giving up assets in hopes that he will learn to be more of a QB and less of a runner seems pretty dicey to me.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields is more physically gifted certainly. But that doesn't mean he's a better QB.

Giving up assets in hopes that he will learn to be more of a QB and less of a runner seems pretty dicey to me.
Won't want to give up anything significant for Fields because he's a project, but if the price was right adding him into the QB competition mix would be nice. I'm not certain the Bears move on from him TBH. I could see them trading the first overall for a haul, then adding a QB with their next pick while building the roster with the extra picks the #1 brought them and some FAs to fill in the gaps since they are flush with cap space.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't want to give up anything significant for Fields because he's a project, but if the price was right adding him into the QB competition mix would be nice. I'm not certain the Bears move on from him TBH. I could see them trading the first overall for a haul, then adding a QB with their next pick while building the roster with the extra picks the #1 brought them and some FAs to fill in the gaps since they are flush with cap space.

I would be absolutely shocked if they don't take one of Williams or Maye with the 1st pick.