• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Power Rankings 2023.06.15 - No love from ESPN for the Giants - #18

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Has us BEHIND such NL teams as the Phils, Brewers, and Padres.
The "experts" also weren't too keen on the Giants of 2010, 2012 and 2014. I don't pay much attention to these rankings. They make more sense for college sports, when you have so many and its hard to determine who is the best prior to the end of season. And even those are very much subjective! Doing that for professional sports is pointless, except to stir up interest in the people doing the rankings.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "experts" also weren't too keen on the Giants of 2010, 2012 and 2014. I don't pay much attention to these rankings. They make more sense for college sports, when you have so many and its hard to determine who is the best prior to the end of season. And even those are very much subjective! Doing that for professional sports is pointless, except to stir up interest in the people doing the rankings.
The Giants were the underdogs in every single series (including the wildcard games) in ‘10, ’12 and ‘14.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weekend's series will tell us a lot

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weekend's series will tell us a lot
Agreed. Mostly, that we need another SP. At this point:

Fri #Weaklink @ TBD
Sat Wood @ Miller
Sun Webb @ Gonsolin

OTOH, maybe we get six out of Brebbiuuugh/Manaeuuugh on Friday...

Harry pitches tonight for Sac, so he won't get called up this weekend

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fri #Weaklink @ TBD
Sat Wood @ Miller
Sun Webb @ Gonsolin

Perfect world, Harrison is not ready. He is still walking entirely too many hitters. He is getting a lot of Ks and not giving up many hits or runs, so maybe that is OK, but I would like him to cut his walks down a bit before he is called up.

But we don’t live in a perfect world. And if he weren’t such a top prospect, I would be excited to see him in SF ASAP. So if the need arises, giving him his shot “now” is not the worst thing.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fri #Weaklink @ TBD
Sat Wood @ Miller
Sun Webb @ Gonsolin

We are going to need our hitting depth to prevail. We can't let their starters throw 3 hit shutouts.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Top Giants prospect Kyle Harrison strikes out eight over a season-high five innings for Triple-A Sacramento"

His first win in Sacto, cuz he hadn't gone 5 innings yet this year.

Prepping him for an imminent callup?

Whatever the Over/Under is on the number of days till he's called up, I'll take the Under.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Top Giants prospect Kyle Harrison strikes out eight over a season-high five innings for Triple-A Sacramento"

Whatever the Over/Under is on the number of days till he's called up, I'll take the Under.
The announced a week or so that they were going to actively ramp up his innings, so this is all part of the “published” plan for him.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think prepping him for a call up and continuing his regular development are different things. According to Kyle Haynes (Dev Director), they are just continuing to work on his command and filling up the strike zone. Once he starts doing that, he'll last longer in the games. Once he starts consistently going 6-7 innings, they probably call him up. I'd guess July.

• Bullseye
Reactions: LHG

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think prepping him for a call up and continuing his regular development are different things. According to Kyle Haynes (Dev Director), they are just continuing to work on his command and filling up the strike zone. Once he starts doing that, he'll last longer in the games. Once he starts consistently going 6-7 innings, they probably call him up. I'd guess July.
Ideally, yes. But it looks like we need someone pronto. Can't let the perfect get be the enemy of the good.