• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

politics thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dead wrong.

1. Liberal or conservative, neither gives a rats ass about more than their own small circle of friends and family and how to increase their own wealth.

2. The last world leader to try and control the media to that level, tried to take over the world and wipe out an entire group of people.

The media should not be an extension of the democratic party though.

Somehow, someway there needs to be more of a balance. And agree or not, editors need to held more accountable. The amount of stories that have been retracted by CNN, NYT, and others over the last year is insane.

Heads need to roll after every retraction, misquotes, misleading/sensationalized headlines. The profession as a whole needs to be held to the highest of standards as they have the power (which is often abused) to sway public opinion

Edit:

Whats more important? What the Russians uncovered or how the Russians may have influenced election by uncovering scandals?

Example of the bias media that the conversation has completely shifted away from the treasonous rigging and collusion by DNC/MSM during the democratic primaries.

Now the conversation is about Russian meddling as opposed to what the Russians uncovered. This is my biggest issue with journalism today. What happened during the Democratic primary should not be brushed under the rug. It should be in the news everyday.

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media should not be an extension of the democratic party though.

Somehow, someway there needs to be more of a balance. And agree or not editors need to held more accountable. The amount of stories that have been retracted by CNN, NYT, and others over the last year is insane.

Heads need to roll after every retraction, misquotes, misleading/sensationalized headlines. The profession as a whole needs to be held to the highest of standards as they have the power (which is often abused) to sway public opinion

So wait, now we want to hold the media accountable because they are saying things that dont fit into a narrative you are comfortable with?? For YEARS the media has been accomplices in the nothing to see here movement. They have been a key factor in maintaining the status quo.

Now Im actually a conservative, and I do think that blatantly false information should be dealt with. But for most of my life sans the last 15 years, most of the "NEWS" has had a decided conservative bias. So sorry if im not overly bent out of shape with the pendulum finally starting to swing the other way a little.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wait, now we want to hold the media accountable because they are saying things that dont fit into a narrative you are comfortable with?? For YEARS the media has been accomplices in the nothing to see here movement. They have been a key factor in maintaining the status quo.

Now Im actually a conservative, and I do think that blatantly false information should be dealt with. But for most of my life sans the last 15 years, most of the "NEWS" has had a decided conservative bias. So sorry if im not overly bent out of shape with the pendulum finally starting to swing the other way a little.

Please..... I cant speak for anything much further then 15 years ago but Amadou Diallo and Louima were probably the first 2 stories of this nature that I remember seeing extensive media coverage for. That had to be 20-25 years ago. Definitely werent accomplices to the "see nothing here movement" as you claim.

What narratives do you assume I am comfortable with? There are things to be outraged about such as Tamir Rice, Walter Scott, Akai Gurley, and Daniel Shaver and then there is Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown which to me the coverage by the media was a gross misrepresentation of what actually took place which as a result had severe consequences (riots, property destruction, death, mistrust, future events (dallas/charleston/charlottesville), and so on). That is where I think the media has some culpability.

I am also obviously conservative but the "NEWS" has had a decidedly liberal bias throughout my lifetime just like the Redskins have sucked forever throughout my lifetime. When you say the pendulum has swung the other way "a little" is a fairly significant understatement.

~Walter Scott and Daniel Shaver have got to be by far the worst cases of police brutality in this modern era.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Whitlock: Sports media embracing ‘far-left extremism’ of San Francisco, Silicon Valley

“Sports writing has moved far left. The entire media has moved far left. The media used to cater to New York, the hub for traditional liberal values. Journalists used to be obsessed with working at a New York magazine or newspaper or TV network,” Mr. Whitlock continued. “Now the entire industry is obsessed with going viral and how words will be received via social media. Who determines this? San Francisco/Silicon Valley, the hub for revolutionary, far-left extremism, the home base for Twitter and Facebook.”

Here is another really good read

Sportswriting Has Become a Liberal Profession — Here’s How It Happened

With all due respect, Whitlock is a raving idiot! (see what I mean?):D

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please..... I cant speak for anything much further then 15 years ago but Amadou Diallo and Louima were probably the first 2 stories of this nature that I remember seeing extensive media coverage for. That had to be 20-25 years ago. Definitely werent accomplices to the "see nothing here movement" as you claim.

What narratives do you assume I am comfortable with? There are things to be outraged about such as Tamir Rice, Walter Scott, Akai Gurley, and Daniel Shaver and then there is Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown which to me the coverage by the media was a gross misrepresentation of what actually took place which as a result had severe consequences (riots, property destruction, death, mistrust, future events (dallas/charleston/charlottesville), and so on). That is where I think the media has some culpability.

I am also obviously conservative but the "NEWS" has had a decidedly liberal bias throughout my lifetime just like the Redskins have sucked forever throughout my lifetime. When you say the pendulum has swung the other way "a little" is a fairly significant understatement.

Guess that makes me a little older than you. As i do remember instances of the news doing everything in its power to slant the story towards the "Conservative view". Hell even Martin and Brown. The story became, what these kids (and yes they were kids) had done in past instances that some how justified them losing their lives.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess that makes me a little older than you. As i do remember instances of the news doing everything in its power to slant the story towards the "Conservative view". Hell even Martin and Brown. The story became, what these kids (and yes they were kids) had done in past instances that some how justified them losing their lives.

I just don't agree. I never cared for media but I remember my distrust for media really amped up after the Trayvon Martin case. He was being portrayed as an innocent young teenager pre puberty with old pictures and all which wasnt even close to the reality of the situation. If there was any slant towards a conservative view as you mention, it was in portraying George Zimmerman as anything but a deranged vigilante with a napoleon complex.

You mention perspective in an earlier post, and we both know the story, but put yourself in the cops shoes with Michael Brown.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mention perspective in an earlier post, and we both know the story, but put yourself in the cops shoes with Michael Brown.

Well lets see,

1. I have a son who is a cop.
2. My Step Father was a homicide detective in DC.

So here is my perspective. as to what SHOULD have been done in the Brown case.

1. The officer SHOULD have called for backup before confronting two individuals.
2. WHen shots were fired and Brown was fleeing, he should have STOPPED firing not only to prevent killing the suspect, but also to prevent the possibility of hitting an innocent bystander.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well lets see,

1. The officer SHOULD have called for backup before confronting two individuals.
2. WHen shots were fired and Brown was fleeing, he should have STOPPED firing not only to prevent killing the suspect, but also to prevent the possibility of hitting an innocent bystander.

Not talking about the perspective of written procedure. I'm talking the perspective of the cop, as a human, being in his early 20s, under the assumption this is his first confrontation of this nature on the job where he had to pull his weapon, thinking his life was in jeopardy because of how physically imposing Brown was.

I try and I cant. Wouldacouldashouldas I probably would have had shit running down my leg.

Again.... dont paint me in a corner because there have been some truly awful instances where the cops were flat out murderers (Walter Scott and Daniel Shaver)

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not talking about the perspective of written procedure. I'm talking the perspective of the cop, as a human, being in his early 20s, under the assumption this is his first confrontation of this nature on the job where he had to pull his weapon, thinking his life was in jeopardy because of how physically imposing Brown was.

I try and I cant. Wouldacouldashouldas I probably would have had shit running down my leg.

OH wait, you are asking what I would have done. OK got it...

Again Im not walking or driving up to these two as you put it, imposing individuals without backup. If IM in that situation, once i started firing and he started running, IM done shooting again for the reasons I have stated. But again, I might have a unique perspective on that as well.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anybody believes Conservatives and liberals are treated the same way in the media, you are not being honest.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my did this thread get high jacked , a gentle reminder no politics on the forum except in the off topic lounge

thems the rules people so lets respect it

i will combine this thread with the off topic lounge soon .

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my did this thread get high jacked , a gentle reminder no politics on the forum except in the off topic lounge

thems the rules people so lets respect it

i will combine this thread with the off topic lounge soon .

I will wait until you do that before i make a highly inflaming, yet tactfully sarcastic response. :suds::D

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well lets see,

He wasn’t firing at Brown when he was fleeing. Brown was coming at the cop when Brown was shot.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn’t firing at Brown when he was fleeing. Brown was coming at the cop when Brown was shot.

SO the officer backed up 153 feet and THEN shot him?? The office admits.. Brown RAN away from him. Brown collapsed 153 feet away from the officer. BUt you are right, this was probably an officer involved weapons discharge, NHI (that Police code for NO Humans Involved)

Sorry @skinsdad62 couldnt help myself

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked this thread better when we were just trashing the WaPo..........

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO the officer backed up 153 feet and THEN shot him?? The office admits.. Brown RAN away from him. Brown collapsed 153 feet away from the officer. BUt you are right, this was probably an officer involved weapons discharge, NHI (that Police code for NO Humans Involved)

Sorry @skinsdad62 couldnt help myself

https://www.justice.gov/sites/defau...doj_report_on_shooting_of_michael_brown_1.pdf

This was from Eric Holder’s investigation who wanted Ferguson to fry.

Wilson did call for backup. He tried to detain them and was going to wait for backup before progressing further. Brown then instigated the first shot from Wilson in the car.

Wilson chased Brown and shot him from under 20’ away. Brown collapsed 10’ away or closer from Wilson.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious, why do you feel that way?

Well, to be succinct, he's nothing more than a overly exposed shrill that says little to benefit anyone other than himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.