• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

politics thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will simply put it this way. If these officers knew they risked life in prison for an unjustified homicide and the system didnt have a habit if justifying these sorts of things, I think there would be less cases of people being gunned down by police officers. And Im not implying, IM saying straight up... the rules are different when it comes to how the legal system and the police treat people of non anglo-saxon heritage. Is it in writing? Nope. But is it and has it been socially acceptable in this country for years?? Yep.

And there would be zero cops by your standard of justified.

I think the blacks being treated unfairly is crap, today. The numbers back me up. Black officers back me up.

It was socially acceptable 40 years ago.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I struggle with the implication that cops shoot blacks because "they can get away with it".

a scared police officer is a dangerous police officer

i dont believe officers are killing folks just to kill folks

they're just trained to shoot first and figure it out later

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't dispute this. the part I struggle with is the motivation of cops to turn to violence in these situations. I struggle with the implication that cops shoot blacks because "they can get away with it".

Oh I dont think they shoot blacks because they simply feel they can get away with it. I honestly dont think MOST police shootings have any malice or racial intent at all.

But at the end of the day, I do think by and large that the concept of guilty by skin color does still exist in our police and legal system. And I think the whole shooting thing is just a symptom of that mind set. Hell for most police, or people in general I dont even think its an active thought, just a socially accepted idea.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I dont think they shoot blacks because they simply feel they can get away with it. I honestly dont think MOST police shootings have any malice or racial intent at all.

But at the end of the day, I do think by and large that the concept of guilty by skin color does still exist in our police and legal system. And I think the whole shooting thing is just a symptom of that mind set. Hell for most police, or people in general I dont even think its an active thought, just a socially accepted idea.
Its interesting that you say this . I too, think that these shooting are a symptom (a dangerous one, albeit) of the real problem. And I think Krush stated the real problem above. Rightly or wrongly, most of these shootings occur because the officers are concerned, scared, feel threatened, etc. Is it justified? Every situation is different. But the real issue is why do the cops feel this way toward minorities at a quicker pace than if it were a white? You address this issue and it will go a long way toward addressing the symptom of the shootings.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting that you say this . I too, think that these shooting are a symptom (a dangerous one, albeit) of the real problem. And I think Krush stated the real problem above. Rightly or wrongly, most of these shootings occur because the officers are concerned, scared, feel threatened, etc. Is it justified? Every situation is different. But the real issue is why do the cops feel this way toward minorities at a quicker pace than if it were a white? You address this issue and it will go a long way toward addressing the symptom of the shootings.

Again dude, get rid of the socially accepted stereo types, and maybe, just maybe we go a long way towards ending these predetermined guilty by skin color issues. But as long as we have laws that say, you can be stopped and ordered to prove you are a legal resident if you LOOK like you are of non american heritage, we will continue to have a problem.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again dude, get rid of the socially accepted stereo types, and maybe, just maybe we go a long way towards ending these predetermined guilty by skin color issues. But as long as we have laws that say, you can be stopped and ordered to prove you are a legal resident if you LOOK like you are of non american heritage, we will continue to have a problem.

You can't be stopped for merely looking like a non-citizen.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. Please understand that I ask these questions of you because you have insight and perceptions based on your life experiences that I could never have. The the reverse is true also. So in order for us, as a multiracial society, to strive to get rid of these socially accepted stereotypes, we need to understand why they exist in the first place from each others perspectives. Because if we don't understand the the other guys perspectives, we aren't gonna get there.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you would be correct

but, you know damn well it happends

especially if your local municipality gives you the green light

like Corey Stewart out in Prince William County

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legally? Your probably right. But my bet is it happens all the time.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to understand why they exist in the first place from each others perspectives.

here is some perspective

Watch I Am Not Your ***** (2016) Full Online Free On watchmovie.me

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. Please understand that I ask these questions of you because you have insight and perceptions based on your life experiences that I could never have. The the reverse is true also. So in order for us, as a multiracial society, to strive to get rid of these socially accepted stereotypes, we need to understand why they exist in the first place from each others perspectives. Because if we don't understand the the other guys perspectives, we aren't gonna get there.

I dont think it will be fixed in my life time, or my kids life time actually. Maybe in my great grandkids lives if they are lucky. And it wont be fixed by any law or politician or police department. I give it six to eight generations and at least in this country, we will be so mixed it wont matter or the country will go ultra anglo and the percentage of non euro decent people will drastically decline.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you would be correct

but, you know damn well it happends

especially if your local municipality gives you the green light

like Corey Stewart out in Prince William County

Of course it happens but I doubt it happens as much as some would like to believe, and it is impossible to prove, unless the cop openly admits to it.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it will be fixed in my life time, or my kids life time actually. Maybe in my great grandkids lives if they are lucky. And it wont be fixed by any law or politician or police department. I give it six to eight generations and at least in this country, we will be so mixed it wont matter or the country will go ultra anglo and the percentage of non euro decent people will drastically decline.
Hmmm. I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope you are wrong. Do you think your parents generation ever thought they would see an african american president in their lifetimes?

I think change like this can happen much quicker, but its not going to happen by meaningless protests by celebs who believe its the current politically correct action to get involved in and then next month they are onto something else. And this is what I believe we are seeing in the NFL right now. What we need is not protests, but action and involvement. Get into the community. Get into the police force. Get into the Judicial system. Get committed to being part of the solution. Don't just take a knee and then collect your millions and play your game.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it happens but I doubt it happens as much as some would like to believe, and it is impossible to prove, unless the cop openly admits to it.

And I would suggest that because it fits inside your comfort zone, you might be tempted to never question it and in fact think it doesnt really happen all that often. Because you CANT in fact be stopped for driving while black, and it cant affect you... you cant really accept that it happens alot more than you would find to be fair.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do agree it won't be fixed in any of our lifetimes.

It will never be fixed if the current environment doesn't change. You can't change bias by proving it right. One of the dumbest things I have ever heard was said recently. White people will never pay attention until we make them uncomfortable in the suburbs.

The only way to fix the issue is proving bias wrong. The best way to do that is having children born in wedlock, black and white. It is a statistical fact that children born into two parent households have a much better success rate in every avenue. An active father keeps their children out of trouble.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm. I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope you are wrong. Do you think your parents generation ever thought they would see an african american president in their lifetimes?

I think change like this can happen much quicker, but its not going to happen by meaningless protests by celebs who believe its the current politically correct action to get involved in and then next month they are onto something else. And this is what I believe we are seeing in the NFL right now. What we need is not protests, but action and involvement. Get into the community. Get into the police force. Get into the Judicial system. Get committed to being part of the solution. Don't just take a knee and then collect your millions and play your game.

Respectfully disagree. We have seen what happens when people with no real platform protest in this country. Worse for people considered to be a minority.

Again I think Kaep picked a poor platform, but has a valid cause. But its the platform he has, and he at least has gotten the countries attention. Sadly people are more concerned with what he did rather than WHAT he was trying to get people to think about.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would suggest that because it fits inside your comfort zone, you might be tempted to never question it and in fact think it doesnt really happen all that often. Because you CANT in fact be stopped for driving while black, and it cant affect you... you cant really accept that it happens alot more than you would find to be fair.

It can't be proven either way. I agree with that statement.

I am a statistics guy as you know. Statistically speaking, I would say the trend over the last 50 years has drastically changed with regards to DWB.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully disagree. We have seen what happens when people with no real platform protest in this country. Worse for people considered to be a minority.

Again I think Kaep picked a poor platform, but has a valid cause. But its the platform he has, and he at least has gotten the countries attention. Sadly people are more concerned with what he did rather than WHAT he was trying to get people to think about.
I actually have more respect for what Kaep did (tho he really didn't understand what the anthem means to many/most in the country and, surprisingly the NFL missed that one also), than I do for the ones that followed, especially yesterday. I have no issue with the desire to raise the attention level on the issue. But my point is that just having a "sit in" and then going home ain't gonna enact change. You have to bring more. Like proposed solutions. Like sympathizers to your issue in the system. Like votes. Like, hate to say it, money.

Status
Not open for further replies.