• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

politics thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perception or reality:

5 Statistics You Need To Know About Cops Killing Blacks

I couldn't help but think of difference in how the press handled the Dylan Roof murders versus the Emmanuel K Sampson shootings that happened in Antioch TN the other day. :scratch:

Food for thought for everyone.

I took the day off yesterday to bask in the afterglow of victory, give myself a break from this and to literally consider the Bullshit that I witnessed on pre-game events before Sundays games. I'm now catching up on posts made during that time and promise, albeit some post required immediate responses, to join in full force after I'm finished reading.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took the day off yesterday to bask in the afterglow of victory, give myself a break from this and to literally consider the Bullshit that I witnessed on pre-game events before Sundays games. I'm now catching up on posts made during that time and promise, albeit some post required immediate responses, to join in full force after I'm finished reading.

LOL, I took the day off because I was sick but I basked as much as possible. So you understand my post is not an answer it is something to ponder overall. My beliefs are in the middle of all this. And yes I wanted to get away from all the crap in the news too.

My constant refrain and this goes way before Mr. Fake News was elected is that the press likes to set agendas and they fuck with all of us. In my opinion the media is largely interested in sensationalism and looking for ways to get attention. The rest of us be damned. Hence my comments about how the press reported the killings in SC by Roof versus the shootings/killings in TN. They reported both but in my opinion not the same way. Both were equally terrible and most likely caused in part by mental illness. Not wholly, we know that the murders in SC happened because of racist views by an ugly person. I mean ugly literally and figuratively.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it will be fixed in my life time, or my kids life time actually. Maybe in my great grandkids lives if they are lucky. And it wont be fixed by any law or politician or police department. I give it six to eight generations and at least in this country, we will be so mixed it wont matter or the country will go ultra anglo and the percentage of non euro decent people will drastically decline.

First let me say that the concept of White, black, and these type of distinctions never existed prior to there being a need to enslave other people European style. Transatlantic slavery merely continued this concept because the early invaders here were also European.

That said, It might not be as long as you think: You don't have to click on this, I've posted the pertinent parts and show the reference. .

It's Official: The U.S. is Becoming a Minority-Majority ...
www.usnews.comNews

HERE vvvvvvvvvv

Still, the number of minority and mixed-race children in the U.S are only expected to rise. "More than half of the nation's children are expected to be part of a minority race or ethnic group," by 2020, the U.S. Census Bureau reports, referring to all kids under the age of 18.

The minority population is expected to rise to 56 percent of the total population in 2060, compared with 38 percent last year. When that happens, "no group will have a majority share of the total and the United States will become a 'plurality' [nation] of racial and ethnic groups," the U.S. Census states. The minority-majority trend reflected among 5-year-olds is the beginning of that shift.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never claimed to be innocent. But I find it ironic that the two times I have been arrested, I was actually just walking down the street and was told I fit the description of some one who apparently committed a crime. And I would challenge you, find me a black or latino male who grew up in SE DC that has NOT been stopped by the police when walking at night at least once, and I will wager they never left the house at night.

Yep happens all of the time, got arrested and stopped at least ten times before I turned 18 no charges made or rational purpose for any of them other than human crosses path with police at the wrong time. At 18, arrested for trespassing/loitering on my grandparents porch. (yes I lived there). Judge gave me two choices...go military or go jail. Seeing that I didn't want to make my time go by running around in circles in a jail cell. I chose the military.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can stop somebody walking down the street for fitting a description because a crime was committed and they are investigating.

Again, how do you know the decription was vague? Where was the crime committed in relation to your location. When was the crime committed in relation to the time you were arrested?

GK, give it up man, arguing over someone else's life experience that doesn't conform to your own is pointless.

That said, if you don't mind, are you from the South, East, Midwest, Central or Western US?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except their job is not to prevent crime. It is to enforce law. You can't enforce a law before it is broken. That pesky due process thing.

It is a good line. How do you know it isn't true? How do you know the entire description? Again, what was the timeframe and what was the location from you?

It is odd. When was the last time you were pulled?

The question is "reasonable Suspicion" as the law allows for this. It is interesting that in NYC "Stop and Frisk" was applied heavily towards certain people. Some were being stopped 2 - 3 times per week consistently. Shit ain't hard to research.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i said i was going to comment on the flag issue and here are my thoughts

The president has every right to say what he said . it is his opinion and he can say it and offend people just like the players who disrespect our country by sitting or kneeling . (yes its disrespect in my opinion). the players have a right to protest and i defended that right but i also have a right to be goddamned pissed at them for doing it

i dont give a shit about their damn cause when you smear the vets who gave their lives so spoiled ass millionaires can disrespect it . i wont listen to you and i will turn off the TV every goddamn time you do it . this isnt about race , its about respect i dont give a shit when you smear the vast majority of police officers who run toward danger while you flee .

now , if you want to bring awareness to the issue how about a compromise ? stand for the anthem and flag and raise your fist . to me that shows respect for our country and you get the "word " out

you all say" whats the big deal its just a symbol "? well if its just a symbol why get worked up over the confederate flag ? the nazi flag ? confederate statues ? . all of those things are symbols of oppression and our country's flag is far from that . you all would be offended (and rightfully so ) if i flew those flags and you would want them taken down. i wouldnt fly them because my friends would be hurt by it . why cant you give me the same consideration ? and others like me ?

and for god's sake why dont you NFL players research the topic you are protesting ? a police shooting is a vastly rare event . the latest stats from the FBI state that there over 4 mil arrests by the police nationwide . of those there were 450 shootings . thats right 450 shootings . divide 4 mil into 450 and see the infintely small number that is . shootings this year in chicago dwarf this but where is black lives matter on this or the NFL players . far more coverage is given to them over BS then what is happening in the inner cities

did you watch the coverage of this crap ? they showed players bashing away at the president and sports commentators commenting on it without even bringing up what the other side of the issue thought , but that is the media for you all to eager to shove their political views on you even when you want to watch a good game

and lets go further , when that black lives murderous POS show and killed 5 dallas cops who were protecting their asses , so they could protest chanting "fry them like bacon "

when jerry jones wanted to put a sticker on the cowboys helmet honoring the cops the NFL said "NO" its political . seems like that hypocrite roger goodell only allows speech and expression he wants . the truth is you should follow your own bi, laws and allow NO DAMN POLITICS in the game . many fans such as myself dont want politics to enter my game . i give a shit what chris collingsworth has to say about anything except the play on the field

this country has had lots of issues . we have gotten things wrong throughout our history . we have worked hard to correct those things but the fact is no country has accumulated so much power and given back to the world as the USA has . we pay the most money to the UN , we enforce most of their rules around the world . we are there for most any natural disaster . we help with decease throughout the world , we feed and cloth people federally and privately

no country is freaking perfect and neither is ours but i dont see assholes fleeing this country because they are oppressed . most of you have no damn clue about oppression much less a spoiled , entitled athlete who has been pamperd most of his or her life because they were good at athletics

so sorry if i am a little pissed at their disrespect . i am not going to change my stance at all . i have given a reasonable compromise and most of you will disagree with my out right militancy and inflexibility on this but that is how i feel . i have lost too many loved ones and friends who have died for this country and the police officers who have risked their lives daily to be shit on by jerks

Take note that there will be a response to this, but prior to my posting it, let me ask a simple yes or no question.

Do you believe, as I do, that the strength of a country is told in the way that it treats its people?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Sunday night before the game began we watched as Dan Snyder stood as a member of a chain of men, locked arm in arm, supposedly in unity with his players as a protest against something uttered by a politician. The question is why?

What manner of insult was it that compelled him and his fellow franchise owners to step out of their comfortable places and offer such a well covered show of defiance against the words spoken by Mr. Trump?

Could it have been the attack on the mothers of his players or as Trump inferred, the bitches that gave birth to his players? NOPE, Trump has famously said many things that are a lot worse than that with respect to people who do not look like himself. Even after Trump's Charlottesville remarks that forced the resignations of his now disbanded business council, some of the riches dudes in the country, did we get to see Mr. Snyder locking arms in protest against those things? NOPE, we got crickets!!

So what was it? What compelled Mr. Snyder and his ilk to make a stand now?

In that same speech in Alabama......Alabama, let that sink in for a moment, Trump also suggested that the combination of firing the protesters on the spot and no support from fans if they (the owners) didn't do this seemingly struck that one remaining nerve in Mr. Snyder and fellow owners that finally crossed that imaginary line. What line was that Sty?

Well, it goes something like this, when the attack was on one thing, I did nothing. When the attack was on another thing I did nothing. However, when the attack touched or came close to touching my money, the proud, stand up, concerned, flag waving, American citizen in me spoke up!
Cmon, Sty. Every owner/FO personnel that stood/kneeled on Sunday were there to protest one thing. President Trump's calling for Americans to boycott the Games as long as the "disrespecting" players were not fired. That hits directly in their wallet. You better believe they are going to boycott those statements. It has nothing to do with supporting the sentiments or calling attention to issues that Kaeprenick was attempting to expose.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, Sty. Every owner/FO personnel that stood/kneeled on Sunday were there to protest one thing. President Trump's calling for Americans to boycott the Games as long as the "disrespecting" players were not fired. That hits directly in their wallet. You better believe they are going to boycott those statements. It has nothing to do with supporting the sentiments or calling attention to issues that Kaeprenick was attempting to expose.

Did you even read what I posted? If you had you would know that my point was exactly that!! C'mon man!!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you even read what I posted? If you had you would know that my point was exactly that!! C'mon man!!
no, i was agreeing with you. probably could have worded it better. still early........

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually have more respect for what Kaep did (tho he really didn't understand what the anthem means to many/most in the country and, surprisingly the NFL missed that one also), than I do for the ones that followed, especially yesterday. I have no issue with the desire to raise the attention level on the issue. But my point is that just having a "sit in" and then going home ain't gonna enact change. You have to bring more. Like proposed solutions. Like sympathizers to your issue in the system. Like votes. Like, hate to say it, money.

each of us have a gift

these guys gift is to play football.

they might not be the person to articulate issues or propose policy

but they can use their fame to shine a light on the issue

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
each of us have a gift

these guys gift is to play football.

they might not be the person to articulate issues or propose policy

but they can use their fame to shine a light on the issue
Their gift is more than that. They have access to influence and they have money. I stand by my original sentiment. Taking a knee during the National Anthem will, at the end of the day, bring about no positive change. In fact, it is my belief, that doing so during the National Anthem might very well have the opposite effect. The message gets lost in the perception to middle america (those that spend the most money on the NFL and its advertisers) that they are disrespecting the flag, the country and our servicemen/women.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a knee during the National Anthem will, at the end of the day, bring about no positive change. .

its creating dialogue ... like the conversations we're having here

conversations middle america can no longer ignore because they do not affect them on a daily basis

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on one hand you have the anger felt by the perceived disrespect to our country

in contrast to

the anger felt by a whole group of people who are literally being disrespected by that country

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its creating dialogue ... like the conversations we're having here

conversations middle america can no longer ignore because they do not affect them on a daily basis
Yeah, but the vast majority of the conversation is are about if/how their actions are disrespectful. Take a look at all of the press conferences. They were all about what teams/individuals did, not one that I saw actually talked about the issue of the inequality of police treatment of minorities. The original message got lost. Moreover, it is my belief that the vast majority of players will never follow up with trying to promote awareness and change. They were doing what was the politically correct thing to do. Until the next politically correct thing to do comes up/\.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im certain more than half the owners rather have stayed in their luxuary seats than stand with these kneelers of the anthem (which btw protesting makes no sense at all).. but by peer pressure of their fraternity.. had too. Jerry the fake Jones made it clear he would not tolerate anyone of his players kneeling during the anthem... yet stands, or rather kneels himself before the anthem to protest police profiling where as a month earlier allowed his team (who chose too) wear ribbons or whatever it was on their uniform to celebrate police. Jerry the fake jones will slurp the flavor of the day that will keep him in favor with those that make him richer... us.

Im not picking on Jones as all the other owners have done the same. Their all billionaire white men who care for nothing but their own interest, and product. My position is that the anthem doesnt represent opression, or equality, or profiling, but freedom, liberty and the persuit to happiness that hundreds of thousand of men and women have sacrificed their one and only life... for even these misguided protesters themselves. There are hardships in every country, not just here, and this mission of statue removal does nothing but erase the history of how we once were, how we have grown into a united people, and how far we have come in reparations of an unjust society.

Disrespected the flag is saying we want to live as the middle east lives,, we care nothing for freedom to play sports, and the opportunity of education and the liberty to persue our dreams. Its an insult to ourselves as americans. It makes no sense.

Yes, we have so much further to go when equality reaches us all, but we had come so far in the last 60 years plus in achieving that. We were moving forward. We all have dreams and want the same opportunities for our children. We want them happy and to prosper. Dividing a nation by spitting on the one symbol (the flag) that connects us all, isnt the way to bring us all together, but only divides a nation further from the goal of equality. It just pisses people off.

We should all be protesting our political practices and those that can make everyone of our lives better by having them unite towards the cause of bettering us as a people. Each side will reject a plan, or law, that could help each american, rich or poor, simply because they want the other to fail.. disregarding the american people. It's insane how divided our political parties have become and its ripping this nation apart. So keep up with protesting our symbol of freedom. Keep up with protesting our men in blue who truly dont want to shoot anyone, black or white.. who just want to protect everyone from a world gone mad.

Corruption has a face and it's smiling at me.. at us. Protest our currupt system and laws that continue to make the rich man richer and the poor man poorer. Open your eyes and see who the real villians are... and then make a stand.

Just so fuvking sick of all of this... just play the GD game and realize why you can.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tell you what - I can't speak for anyone else but for me this has me thinking a lot & I want to use this as an opportunity to do something positive. A lot of the talk is centered around vets and respect. Instead of just focusing on the National Anthem how about using this as another opportunity to reach out to vets & help them where possible.

I know we do this all of the time but I want to give thanks to everyone here who is either currently serving the country or has in the past - much respect. At the same time I will look for some way in the near future to donate some money and time towards this cause. I would suggest the same for others. Don't really care about who takes a knee or raises a fist. I am more concerned about actual actions & I believe that one good side effect on this is more awareness & some follow up action - at least in the near term (above & beyond any issues related to cops, etc).

Also - we have to always remember that sports - unlike politics - is one of the stronger unifiers in our society for fans as well as athletes. You can sit in a sports bar & have great conversations with folks of different ages, races, backgrounds, income levels, etc & nobody cares & shakes hands at the end of the day. The complete opposite of BS conversations involving politics. I hope that this never changes. I am saying this as someone who lives rt down the street from where that stupid speech was made the other day. These type of interactions happen no matter where you live.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First let me say that the concept of White, black, and these type of distinctions never existed prior to there being a need to enslave other people European style. Transatlantic slavery merely continued this concept because the early invaders here were also European.

That said, It might not be as long as you think: You don't have to click on this, I've posted the pertinent parts and show the reference. .

It's Official: The U.S. is Becoming a Minority-Majority ...
www.usnews.comNews

HERE vvvvvvvvvv

Still, the number of minority and mixed-race children in the U.S are only expected to rise. "More than half of the nation's children are expected to be part of a minority race or ethnic group," by 2020, the U.S. Census Bureau reports, referring to all kids under the age of 18.

The minority population is expected to rise to 56 percent of the total population in 2060, compared with 38 percent last year. When that happens, "no group will have a majority share of the total and the United States will become a 'plurality' [nation] of racial and ethnic groups," the U.S. Census states. The minority-majority trend reflected among 5-year-olds is the beginning of that shift.

Then what will be the excuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.