• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players the Lakers could sign to fill out their squad

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,096.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers aren't going to deal Schroder in a S&T. He is a UFA, there's absolutely no reason why he would help the Lakers out. If a team is interested in him, he'll just immediately sign over there.
It has been reported by several sources it is in fact possible.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been reported by several sources it is in fact possible.
The reason it’s possible is because he can ultimately make more money in a sign and trade. Lakers can offer him the most without worrying about cap. Also because teams are capped out they can add his salary because they will be parting with pieces. This is a double edged sword though. Lakers don’t see his value at 20 mil a year so why would another team? The Lakers will want quality back for him. So now the franchise that is going to overpay Schroeder is also going to give up an asset or two just for the right to overpay him? Lakers need to find a dumb franchise (no shortage of them) because this move makes little sense for them especially with a player who has earned a rep as a bad locker room guy. Schroeder is like Jamie Tartt from Ted Lasso now minus the world class ability in his sport.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are better options in the G league right now than there are old vets imo .

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason it’s possible is because he can ultimately make more money in a sign and trade. Lakers can offer him the most without worrying about cap. Also because teams are capped out they can add his salary because they will be parting with pieces. This is a double edged sword though. Lakers don’t see his value at 20 mil a year so why would another team? The Lakers will want quality back for him. So now the franchise that is going to overpay Schroeder is also going to give up an asset or two just for the right to overpay him? Lakers need to find a dumb franchise (no shortage of them) because this move makes little sense for them especially with a player who has earned a rep as a bad locker room guy. Schroeder is like Jamie Tartt from Ted Lasso now minus the world class ability in his sport.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting. His performance last year can be explained away by the injuries, etc. But he's also been on 4 teams in 5 years. That can be a pretty big red flag.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers aren't going to deal Schroder in a S&T. He is a UFA, there's absolutely no reason why he would help the Lakers out. If a team is interested in him, he'll just immediately sign over there.

If teams with cap room don't give him a big enough offer or a deal he likes, its possible he might worth with the Lakers to send him to a team that doesn't have cap room. I'd say odds are still slim, but its possible. Probably something like 30%

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends on who wants him. There are at most 9 teams projected to have cap space this summer (after rescinding cap holds); Knicks, Spurs, Mavs, OKC, Memphis, Toronto, Heat and Hornets. Hornets' space is $16M, he turned down $20M per from the Lakers. Heat and Raptors seem interested in a Lowry/Dragic swap, which would take them out of the running. Memphis, OKC, and Dallas are set at PG. Spurs probably are too. So, you have the Knicks left, with both Schroder and Dinwiddie still on the market (always the possibility that CP3 doesn't return to Phoenix too, not to mention Conley to Utah). He may absolutely NEED a S&T to get more than the MLE.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the Lakers roster...this is going to be an interesting experiment.

Experiment because, if this isn't the oldest roster in league history, it's gotta be among them. It's likely the oldest one with a legit title shot.

There are 10 players (9 of which are 32 or older) that I figure will be eating up most of the regular season minutes).

Lebron (36)
AD (28)
Westbrook (32)
Melo (37)
Ariza (36)
Bazemore (32)
Ellington (33)
Gasol (36)
Dwight (35)
Matthews (34)-assuming they bring him back.

Average age...33.1

Monk (23), Nunn (26) and THT (20) will likely be mixed in where needed/possible.

If they can distribute the minutes among the old guys so they all play fewer minutes, they should be ok.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Experiment because, if this isn't the oldest roster in league history, it's gotta be among them. It's likely the oldest one with a legit title shot.

There are 10 players (9 of which are 32 or older) that I figure will be eating up most of the regular season minutes).

Lebron (36)
AD (28)
Westbrook (32)
Melo (37)
Ariza (36)
Bazemore (32)
Ellington (33)
Gasol (36)
Dwight (35)

Average age...33.1

Monk (23), Nunn (26) and THT (20) will likely be mixed in where needed/possible.

If they can distribute the minutes among the old guys so they all play fewer minutes, they should be ok.

Those younger players are going to get more minutes than some of the vets IMO. With the number of guards in place, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of AD at the 5 and Lebron at the 4 (not to start, but probably to finish) with 3 guards. Tough to find minutes for all of Baze, Ellington, Monk, and THT otherwise. THT and Nunn are the two non-minimum signees, so they are likely to get solid minutes IMO. Ariza and Ellington might well be 3rd teamers.

I like Wes, but there really isn't minutes available here for him. If Lakers bring in anyone else, it's likely Dudley for leadership and maybe one or two young guys (maybe McClung and Brown from the summer league team, or someone else from a different summer league team that shows well, like Yurtseven?)

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers are going to hold on any more additions and they may even go into the season with old 12 player roster. If and when Schroeder returns and the Lakers may add a Center, Vogel may just go with the present signed roster and develop a winning rotation that has D as its focus and O taht is derived frorm the D..

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers are going to hold on any more additions and they may even go into the season with old 12 player roster. If and when Schroeder returns and the Lakers may add a Center, Vogel may just go with the present signed roster and develop a winning rotation that has D as its focus and O taht is derived frorm the D..

The Lakers typically hold a roster spot open, so 14 is probably the max for them. They are at 12 currently (the two-way players don't count towards the max of 15), so that leaves open 2 spots. Dudley could be back (although I'd prefer he join the coaching staff), and summer league players like McClung and Brown could be options as well. I think they need another front court player, someone who can be a small-ball center other than AD, and Dudley/McClung/Brown won't help there.

I don't see Schroder returning. Reportedly he's in shock over his current situation and wants a short prove-it deal (Boston is offering a 1 year deal that may become 1+1 player option and he would potentially be the starter there, unlike LA) to get back out into the market. Sign and trade requires a 3 year guaranteed deal, so that's likely off the table too.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Lakers could always bring Schroeder back on a one year deal and then let him try the market again next summer. I doubt that will happen as apparently he has become known league-wide as a locker room cancer. Here is a list of two other guys the Lakers should sign. Markkanen and Hart would be just the guys that fill out the roster nicely leaving the traditional one spot open.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lebron (36)
AD (28)
Westbrook (32)
Melo (37)
Ariza (36)
Bazemore (32)
Ellington (33)
Gasol (36)
Dwight (35)

Average age...33.1

It's not just the age ..it's a very unique group of aging superstars with diminishing skills but with the same ego's and rigid playing styles they have always had.

There will be no middle ground for the Lakers this season. This will either be a complete disaster or these guys will offset each other and find a grove that will be very hard to stop. You could flip a coin on which one you get.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just the age ..it's a very unique group of aging superstars with diminishing skills but with the same ego's and rigid playing styles they have always had.

There will be no middle ground for the Lakers this season. This will either be a complete disaster or these guys will offset each other and find a grove that will be very hard to stop. You could flip a coin on which one you get.

Can't argue any of that.

As long as they stay healthy, I lean towards it working because of their ages. All of these guys know that they are quickly running out of time to get a ring. For guys like Melo, Gasol, Dwight and Ariza, this may very well be their last chance to get a ring (or in the cases of Dwight and Ariza, 1 more) and they're all smart enough to realize that. Melo, for example, took a lesser role in Portland and played well. The Lakers will ask him to play a similar role.

Even Westbrook who's only 32, has to know that if he can't make it work with this group, no contender is likely to give him another shot.

End of the day, regardless of what the other guys do, if Lebron and/or AD aren't healthy, they aren't winning a title.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,096.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Lakers could always bring Schroeder back on a one year deal and then let him try the market again next summer. I doubt that will happen as apparently he has become known league-wide as a locker room cancer. Here is a list of two other guys the Lakers should sign. Markkanen and Hart would be just the guys that fill out the roster nicely leaving the traditional one spot open.

Both are RFA I believe.