• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

C-Rock's 2013-14 NBA Preview

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L+USC reminded me its that time of year. So, here is C-Rock's 2013-14 season preview.

Let's start out West:

Northwest Division: Status Quo.

1) Oklahoma City Thunder - This team will go as far as Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook can take them, which is all the way to the Finals. IF, Russell Westbrook returns from injury 100%.

2) Minnesota Timberwolves - The biggest question here is also health. Already Chase Budinger is ailing. They did manage to bring in Kevin Martin and resign Nikola Pekovic. I am curious to see how far a healthy tandem of Kevin Love/Ricky Rubio can go. Their ceiling this season is a second round out.

3) Portland Trailblazers - This is the Lillard/Aldridge show and word is, Lamarcus may want out. He is posed to have his best season but in a packed west, it'll be hard to reach the postseason.

4) Denver Nuggets - Can't help but feel this team is taking a step back by losing Andre Igoudala. Plus, an injured Danilo Galinari and the loss of George Karl probably means this team will struggle to make the playoffs.

5) Utah Jazz - Well, let's see. They lost Al Jefferson and Paul Milsap and Trey Burke just went down. No playoffs.

Pacific Division: The mighty have fallen. The dead have arisen.

1) Los Angeles Clippers - This team will reach the NBA Finals. Under Doc Rivers, this team will be terrific in the halfcourt while still being able to push the rock against teams the Clippers should beat. They aren't the Cripples anymore.

2) Golden State Warriors - Possibly the most exciting team in the league next season. The sky is the limit if they can stay healthy and if their working parts, namely Igoudala, Curry, Lee and Bogut can live up to their potential. I don't see this team going out to anybody without a fight.

3) Los Angeles Lakers - What a shame. They used to be the talk of the conference. Now they aren't even expected to get to the postseason. Heck, they aren't even the best team in their own arena. Can Kobe Bryant rally the troops? Not so fast, can Kobe even return from this injury?

4) Sacramento Kings - This team is one big phenomenal waste of talent. Their most intriguing plotline is the introduction of Shaquille O'Neal as owner. Funny, he owned this team as a player and now he just flat out owns it!

5) Phoenix Suns - What a boring team to be a fan of. They will probably end up with a #1 pick just to find out the best players are at positions they are already stacked at.

Southwest Division: The return of the Rockets.

1) Houston Rockets - Not even Kevin McHale can screw this up. He just added the league's best defensive post presence to a team with the fastest rising superstar. If Dwight Howard can focus on allowing James Harden to lead this team. IF, Howard can learn some post offense from Hakeem Olajuwon and Kevin McHale and the rest of the team plays with passion, the sky is the limit for this squad. As always, health is key.

2) San Antonio Spurs - New year, same expectations. Anything less than a championship means SA had a disappointing season. Is this the year Duncan/Parker/Ginobili finally flops? I can only imagine how difficult it must be to get up for this season after the devastating finals loss.

3) Memphis Grizzlies - This team has pretty much reached its maximum potential. I feel bad for the fans. If they ever spent any money they could easily reach the next level. As it is I see them as a first round out.

4) New Orleans Pelicans - This team is intriguing. They are young, fast and hungry. But they probably won't stay healthy enough to make much noise. No playoffs.

5) Dallas Mavericks - Mark Cuban's money just doesn't seem to be good enough for anybody. I believe this season will mark the beginning of a long, slow decline into oblivious obscurity.

Enough with the West. On to the Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division: The cream of the crop shall rise to the top.

1) Brooklyn Nets - My pick for NBA champion. They spent the money and they are stacked 2 deep at EVERY position. They will win the Battle of New York. Will they win the whole kit 'n' caboodle? Lopez/Blatche, Garnett/Evans, Pierce/Kirilenko, Johnson/Terry and Williams/Livingston think so. The only chink in their armor may be having a rookie coach who'd rather drink at night than spend that time preparing. Lucky he has a team that can coach itself.

2) New York Knicks - Why this team would invest in Andrea Bargnani is beyond me. I see another year of underachieving. Sure, they have talent but they don't have character or chemistry. Good regular season, disappointing postseason.

3) Boston Celtics - Danny Ainge picked this year to blow it up. It will be interesting to see how well Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green adjust to being the fall guys. It is a stretch to think this team will make the playoffs but a little Celtic Pride goes a long way.

4) Toronto Raptors - This team will be like a less talented, more boring version of the GSW. I'm left to wonder when this team will leave Toronto.

5) Philadelphia 76ers - I don't get why this team traded Jrue Holiday for Nerleans Noel. I do get why Doug Collins bailed.

Central Division: The RETURN of significance. This division will have the biggest changes by far.

1) Chicago Bulls - Somehow people forget just how good Derrick Rose is. Mike Dunleavy is a big upgrade over Marco Belinelli and Rip Hamilton. They have a great frontcourt rotation of Noah, Boozer and Gibson and a nice wing rotation of Deng, Butler and Dunleavy. But then you add Derrick Rose. Tom Thibodeau is anxious to return to power.

1A) Indiana Pacers - They are right there with the Bulls. They managed to get better and still stay within their budget. I like their chances to get to the conference finals but a second round out is more likely due to the improvement of Brooklyn and Chicago.

3) Detroit Pistons - Much improved. Their spacing worries me due to Josh Smith's ghostmonster J. But they added Brandon Jennings as well. They will be young, exciting and a heckuva lot more competitive than they have been.

3A) Cleveland Cavaliers - Win now. The biggest gamble was signing Andrew Bynum but they are extremely strong in the frontcourt now. Even if Bynum doesn't pan out, Cleveland should probably make the playoffs. Kyrie Irving is poised for an MVP campaign if Cleveland surprises.

5) Milwaukee Bucks - This team just doesn't excite me. They suck.

Southeast Division: Same old, same old.

1) Miami Heat - They are ready to 3-peat. Only the Brooklyn Nets stand in their way. They lost Mike Miller but added Greg Oden and Michael Beasley. This team is scary.

2) Atlanta Hawks - Another year, another early playoff exit.

3) Washington Wizards - John Wall will be the best player to not make the all-star team. They are a clusterfuck at small forward and an injury waiting to happen at the 4 and 5.

4) Charlotte Bobcats - Odds are this team won't overachieve. However, if they play up to their potential they will get into the playoffs. They spent a little money to add Al Jefferson to a team with a solid backcourt and also drafted another talented big in Cody Zeller. They will be a team to watch.

5) Orlando Magic - I wonder what the Vegas Odds are on this team getting yet another #1 draft pick?

MVP: Kyrie Irving (Nobody wins 4 MVP's in a row)
Rookie of the Year: Anthony Bennett (He's on my fantasy team so I'm rooting for him)
Coach of the Year: Doc Rivers
Defensive Player of The Year: Kevin Garnett
NBA First Team: Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, James Harden and Kyrie Irving
Western Conference: LA Clippers over OKC Thunder
Eastern Conference: Brooklyn Nets over Miami Heat
NBA Finals: Brooklyn Nets over LA Clippers

Pick it apart boys.

:10:

Word.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, have to give credit where its due. It was trojanfan12 that reminded me, not L+USC. Somehow I get those two mixed up. Word.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only disagreement would be Chicago and Pacers. So really no disagreement but I would have Pacers 1 and Bulls 1A. Pacers are solid in their rotation and a year wiser and better. Bulls have some readjusting to do and Rose can get re-injured mentally and physically. One thing you didnt mention is one of my new favorite players Jimmy Butler. He would be more important than Dunleavy who has a tendency to disappear on average teams. What is Dunleavy going to do in the spotlight?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good preview Crotch. Surprising that a Celtics fan can put together something like this.

I would switch Portland and Minnesota. And I agree about Denver. I don't think they make the playoffs with a new coach and no Igoudala.

Don't worry about Kobe. He'll be back and destroying the league again soon enough :nod:

I'd bump Cleveland ahead of Detroit. They added some nice players in Jack and Clark. If Bynum and Irving stay healthy, Cleveland will make the playoffs.

I don't see Atlanta making the playoffs. In fact, I'd bump both Washington and Charlotte above Atlanta. Charlotte could surprise with Big Al.

I agree about the MVP, not necessarily that Irving wins it, but that someone not named Lebron does. I think voter fatigue sets in for Lebron this season.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could preview no time to read it all but nice work.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Central Division is really the closest in the league and the hardest to get a handle on. Jimmy Butler could have a breakout season if he starts at shooting guard. Or, Chicago could decide to make him the primary backup at both the 2 and the 3. I believe he is closing in on his contract year. I would also tend to put Cleveland ahead of Detroit - That is, IF Bynum was healthy to start with. But he is not. The Southeast Division is the most boring in the league. Really, its Miami and everybody else. John Wall by all accounts is motivated. He has Beal, Porter, Webster, Ariza, Nene and Okafor to work with. Their health is suspect in a big way. Word.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L+USC reminded me its that time of year. So, here is C-Rock's 2013-14 season preview.

Let's start out West:

Northwest Division: Status Quo.

1) Oklahoma City Thunder - This team will go as far as Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook can take them, which is all the way to the Finals. IF, Russell Westbrook returns from injury 100%.

2) Minnesota Timberwolves - The biggest question here is also health. Already Chase Budinger is ailing. They did manage to bring in Kevin Martin and resign Nikola Pekovic. I am curious to see how far a healthy tandem of Kevin Love/Ricky Rubio can go. Their ceiling this season is a second round out.

3) Portland Trailblazers - This is the Lillard/Aldridge show and word is, Lamarcus may want out. He is posed to have his best season but in a packed west, it'll be hard to reach the postseason.

4) Denver Nuggets - Can't help but feel this team is taking a step back by losing Andre Igoudala. Plus, an injured Danilo Galinari and the loss of George Karl probably means this team will struggle to make the playoffs.

5) Utah Jazz - Well, let's see. They lost Al Jefferson and Paul Milsap and Trey Burke just went down. No playoffs.

Pacific Division: The mighty have fallen. The dead have arisen.

1) Los Angeles Clippers - This team will reach the NBA Finals. Under Doc Rivers, this team will be terrific in the halfcourt while still being able to push the rock against teams the Clippers should beat. They aren't the Cripples anymore.

2) Golden State Warriors - Possibly the most exciting team in the league next season. The sky is the limit if they can stay healthy and if their working parts, namely Igoudala, Curry, Lee and Bogut can live up to their potential. I don't see this team going out to anybody without a fight.

3) Los Angeles Lakers - What a shame. They used to be the talk of the conference. Now they aren't even expected to get to the postseason. Heck, they aren't even the best team in their own arena. Can Kobe Bryant rally the troops? Not so fast, can Kobe even return from this injury?

4) Sacramento Kings - This team is one big phenomenal waste of talent. Their most intriguing plotline is the introduction of Shaquille O'Neal as owner. Funny, he owned this team as a player and now he just flat out owns it!

5) Phoenix Suns - What a boring team to be a fan of. They will probably end up with a #1 pick just to find out the best players are at positions they are already stacked at.

Southwest Division: The return of the Rockets.

1) Houston Rockets - Not even Kevin McHale can screw this up. He just added the league's best defensive post presence to a team with the fastest rising superstar. If Dwight Howard can focus on allowing James Harden to lead this team. IF, Howard can learn some post offense from Hakeem Olajuwon and Kevin McHale and the rest of the team plays with passion, the sky is the limit for this squad. As always, health is key.

2) San Antonio Spurs - New year, same expectations. Anything less than a championship means SA had a disappointing season. Is this the year Duncan/Parker/Ginobili finally flops? I can only imagine how difficult it must be to get up for this season after the devastating finals loss.

3) Memphis Grizzlies - This team has pretty much reached its maximum potential. I feel bad for the fans. If they ever spent any money they could easily reach the next level. As it is I see them as a first round out.

4) New Orleans Pelicans - This team is intriguing. They are young, fast and hungry. But they probably won't stay healthy enough to make much noise. No playoffs.

5) Dallas Mavericks - Mark Cuban's money just doesn't seem to be good enough for anybody. I believe this season will mark the beginning of a long, slow decline into oblivious obscurity.

Enough with the West. On to the Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division: The cream of the crop shall rise to the top.

1) Brooklyn Nets - My pick for NBA champion. They spent the money and they are stacked 2 deep at EVERY position. They will win the Battle of New York. Will they win the whole kit 'n' caboodle? Lopez/Blatche, Garnett/Evans, Pierce/Kirilenko, Johnson/Terry and Williams/Livingston think so. The only chink in their armor may be having a rookie coach who'd rather drink at night than spend that time preparing. Lucky he has a team that can coach itself.

2) New York Knicks - Why this team would invest in Andrea Bargnani is beyond me. I see another year of underachieving. Sure, they have talent but they don't have character or chemistry. Good regular season, disappointing postseason.

3) Boston Celtics - Danny Ainge picked this year to blow it up. It will be interesting to see how well Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green adjust to being the fall guys. It is a stretch to think this team will make the playoffs but a little Celtic Pride goes a long way.

4) Toronto Raptors - This team will be like a less talented, more boring version of the GSW. I'm left to wonder when this team will leave Toronto.

5) Philadelphia 76ers - I don't get why this team traded Jrue Holiday for Nerleans Noel. I do get why Doug Collins bailed.

Central Division: The RETURN of significance. This division will have the biggest changes by far.

1) Chicago Bulls - Somehow people forget just how good Derrick Rose is. Mike Dunleavy is a big upgrade over Marco Belinelli and Rip Hamilton. They have a great frontcourt rotation of Noah, Boozer and Gibson and a nice wing rotation of Deng, Butler and Dunleavy. But then you add Derrick Rose. Tom Thibodeau is anxious to return to power.

1A) Indiana Pacers - They are right there with the Bulls. They managed to get better and still stay within their budget. I like their chances to get to the conference finals but a second round out is more likely due to the improvement of Brooklyn and Chicago.

3) Detroit Pistons - Much improved. Their spacing worries me due to Josh Smith's ghostmonster J. But they added Brandon Jennings as well. They will be young, exciting and a heckuva lot more competitive than they have been.

3A) Cleveland Cavaliers - Win now. The biggest gamble was signing Andrew Bynum but they are extremely strong in the frontcourt now. Even if Bynum doesn't pan out, Cleveland should probably make the playoffs. Kyrie Irving is poised for an MVP campaign if Cleveland surprises.

5) Milwaukee Bucks - This team just doesn't excite me. They suck.

Southeast Division: Same old, same old.

1) Miami Heat - They are ready to 3-peat. Only the Brooklyn Nets stand in their way. They lost Mike Miller but added Greg Oden and Michael Beasley. This team is scary.

2) Atlanta Hawks - Another year, another early playoff exit.

3) Washington Wizards - John Wall will be the best player to not make the all-star team. They are a clusterfuck at small forward and an injury waiting to happen at the 4 and 5.

4) Charlotte Bobcats - Odds are this team won't overachieve. However, if they play up to their potential they will get into the playoffs. They spent a little money to add Al Jefferson to a team with a solid backcourt and also drafted another talented big in Cody Zeller. They will be a team to watch.

5) Orlando Magic - I wonder what the Vegas Odds are on this team getting yet another #1 draft pick?

MVP: Kyrie Irving (Nobody wins 4 MVP's in a row)
Rookie of the Year: Anthony Bennett (He's on my fantasy team so I'm rooting for him)
Coach of the Year: Doc Rivers
Defensive Player of The Year: Kevin Garnett
NBA First Team: Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, James Harden and Kyrie Irving
Western Conference: LA Clippers over OKC Thunder
Eastern Conference: Brooklyn Nets over Miami Heat
NBA Finals: Brooklyn Nets over LA Clippers

Pick it apart boys.

:10:

Word.

I give this preview a D minus - equal to the shit Hollinger usually writes on ESPN, but nothing personal to C -Rock

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice write up Crotch. I might make the Heat the winner in the east, and I dont see the Rockets ahead of the Spurs during the regular season. I am intrigued to see what the cavaliers become this year.

ROY- Kelly O (true homerism!)

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be thrilled if Kelly O were to win the ROY. I just don't think he does enough on the defensive side of the ball. Word.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the feedback, TLF. Fortunately, a D- from you in basketball terms means the exact opposite so I'll take that as an A+. Word.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give this preview a D minus - equal to the shit Hollinger usually writes on ESPN, but nothing personal to C -Rock

Because your Lakers aren't in the playoffs and Kobe didn't win DPOY and MVP? Keep your pants on, it is just his opinion.

On that note, I do like the field against LBJ for MVP (although it would be 3 in a row and 5 of 6 years, not 4 in a row), I do not like Irving. Health as a major citation for both past development and current chances. I do like a dark horse though. Durant I think is the obvious #2. Dark horses imo would be Rose, Irving, Curry? CP3 and Harden, maybe a Dwight.

I like the Clippers pick especially sense you mentioned that OKC should go back if they were healthy.

I do like the field in east though but not the Nets. The Heat are a matchup nightmare for them as the Pacers are for the Heat. The Pacers are also a nightmare for the Nets (but not as bad as the heat) and I think the Bulls/Nets is a wash in relation to against the Nets.

Garnett is not going to be DPOY.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True regarding it being 3 in a row. It was mistake I caught earlier but I hate editing. Thanks for the feedback guys. I think Garnett has a shot at DPOY if Brooklyn shocks the world. All indications so far is that he has been of big benefit to Brook Lopez and that he has been QB'ing their D. Imagine a team featuring Lopez, Williams and Johnson DEFENDING! That would merit consideration. Word.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When will non-Oklahomans get it through their heads that Serge Ibaka is actually more important to the Thynder than Westbrook?

Westbrook is improving, but is still better suited to the 2 than the 1.

I follow the Thunder via NBA League Pass even though I haven't been back to my native state
in 40 years, as of this month.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True regarding it being 3 in a row. It was mistake I caught earlier but I hate editing. Thanks for the feedback guys. I think Garnett has a shot at DPOY if Brooklyn shocks the world. All indications so far is that he has been of big benefit to Brook Lopez and that he has been QB'ing their D. Imagine a team featuring Lopez, Williams and Johnson DEFENDING! That would merit consideration. Word.

KG should definitely be able to help turn that team into an above average defense. They were below average last season. He won't be dominating on defense though, like Howard should get back to being.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nets will NOT win the NBA title.

KG and PP are both past their primes, as is JET, who was never that smart a player in his best days.

They'll sell tickets to wishful thinkers less familiar with the ex-Celtics than this long-time Boston resident,
but that's all.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, you can say that Brahmsian but I have to think that team has as good a shot as any. Basically what you are saying amounts to any team without a top five player on the roster won't win a title. Let's watch the games and see. Who do you favor to win the title? Word.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KG as DPOY is a joke but not surprising considering the source that picked him. He'll be lucky to play 20 min a game and his injury risk will increase.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? Because of his age? He is the definition of defense's most valuable player. Of course, considering the source of the vitriol it is understandable you would offer your dissent out of sheer disdain for my Lakers prediction. Sorry bud. Your faves are kaput. Word.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LBJ wins DPOY...not MVP I think.

Durant or a PG gets their 1st MVP.