• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillip Lindsay - Pay Him

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You not only have to pay Phillip Lindsay because of his production vs. past compensation, but the more important reason to restructure his contract is they need his leadership and brand identification. PL has already been with the Broncos longer than these starters - the QB, the Center, the RG, the LG. the RT, Two WRs and both TEs. Rewarding Lindsay for his leadership and dedication to the team as he becomes one of the veterans - validates his leadership. You want all the new guys to think you play right and live by the Bronco rules they will take care of you too. Take care of Lindsay - pay him.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't extend until after year 3.

How did Allen Hurns get his deal done after two years?

I don't think you are correct about how the rule applies to Phillip Lindsay. Even Elway indicated he would look at the Lindsay contract prior TC this year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Allen Hurns get his deal done after two years?

I don't think you are correct about how the rule applies to Phillip Lindsay. Even Elway indicated he would look at the Lindsay contract prior TC this year.

Ok- Maybe a drafted player can't get a new contract until after year 3? Or maybe a first rd pick can't? I know the Chiefs had to wait with Patrick Mahomes until after year 3 to be able to sign him to a long term deal.

With the new CBA I am not even sure of any of this to be honest. I would have to go back and read up on the new CBA and how it impacts the ability to go from 1st year to 2nd year contract.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok- Maybe a drafted player can't get a new contract until after year 3? Or maybe a first rd pick can't? I know the Chiefs had to wait with Patrick Mahomes until after year 3 to be able to sign him to a long term deal.

With the new CBA I am not even sure of any of this to be honest. I would have to go back and read up on the new CBA and how it impacts the ability to go from 1st year to 2nd year contract.

I think the way it works is the Broncos don't have to look at his contract status until after year 3, but they can if they want to. It has been rare, but done before. In PL's case - I stated what I believe is the case that he should get the new contract.

Now - I don't think the Broncos - in this non-compulsory situation - pay PL league scale for his production. I do think they can throw him a 2-3 million a year and get another 3 years out of him on a contract.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the way it works is the Broncos don't have to look at his contract status until after year 3, but they can if they want to. It has been rare, but done before. In PL's case - I stated what I believe is the case that he should get the new contract.

Now - I don't think the Broncos - in this non-compulsory situation - pay PL league scale for his production. I do think they can throw him a 2-3 million a year and get another 3 years out of him on a contract.

Makes sense to me. Didn’t we do that with Terrell Davis after his second year? I know that was like 20 years ago and rules have changed but I believe we did.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that a drafted player has to wait 3 years, but an undrafted player can be addressed after 2 seasons.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that a drafted player has to wait 3 years, but an undrafted player can be addressed after 2 seasons.

That is what I think it is. I know for sure that a 1st round draft pick has to wait until after his 3rd year.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what kind of contract would you want for Philip?

I am thinking 4 year $24.5 million, which is the same as Ekeler.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what kind of contract would you want for Philip?

I am thinking 4 year $24.5 million, which is the same as Ekeler.

That's the rub - because the Broncos are not going to offer PL Ekeler (fellow Coloradan) money. The 1st thing the Broncos will say is PL hasn't shown the ability to catch the ball and run with it like Ekeler has. Right now PL is like at the league minimum for a 3rd year player - which is short of a million dollars. The ultimate strategy in this negotiation is the Broncos give up 2 years of a controlled price - offer a shorter contract (3 years) for a $12 million contract with nice incentive pay built in for performance benchmarks. This way the Broncos are only buying an additional year of PL control at a reasonable price in exchange for paying him a lot more than they have to for the next two years.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Denver isn't going to worry about a boost in Lindsay's pay until after this year assuming he stays healthy and produces (which we know he will produce) ;)...

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver already controls him for 2 years if they choose to as Lindsay Has only been in the league 2 years. Which means UFA after the 2021 season which is the same year Gordon becomes a UFA again. Being able to split up the 2 RBs hitting free agency seems like a smart move.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You not only have to pay Phillip Lindsay because of his production vs. past compensation, but the more important reason to restructure his contract is they need his leadership and brand identification. PL has already been with the Broncos longer than these starters - the QB, the Center, the RG, the LG. the RT, Two WRs and both TEs. Rewarding Lindsay for his leadership and dedication to the team as he becomes one of the veterans - validates his leadership. You want all the new guys to think you play right and live by the Bronco rules they will take care of you too. Take care of Lindsay - pay him.

I have thought this before I hope you get your wish that will happen. Mine sure did not. He is on the panthers! I am happy for him getting paid all the same.

I will say this the Broncos wanted to do that for him earlier so let he did not get greedy:doh:

Chris Harris sure did.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the rub - because the Broncos are not going to offer PL Ekeler (fellow Coloradan) money. The 1st thing the Broncos will say is PL hasn't shown the ability to catch the ball and run with it like Ekeler has. Right now PL is like at the league minimum for a 3rd year player - which is short of a million dollars. The ultimate strategy in this negotiation is the Broncos give up 2 years of a controlled price - offer a shorter contract (3 years) for a $12 million contract with nice incentive pay built in for performance benchmarks. This way the Broncos are only buying an additional year of PL control at a reasonable price in exchange for paying him a lot more than they have to for the next two years.

This seems reasonable to me I hope he ends up with 6 million a year personally he is way better than Gordon.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
outsider, but u just paid gordon, they arent gonna pony up for lindsay.......

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
outsider, but u just paid gordon, they arent gonna pony up for lindsay.......

The Broncos were the ones that started this just before FA. They worked for a couple of weeks with him and then put it on hold till after FA and then said maybe after the draft

My guess PL pissed off Elway.:L:gaah:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos were the ones that started this just before FA. They worked for a couple of weeks with him and then put it on hold till after FA and then said maybe after the draft

My guess PL pissed off Elway.:L:gaah:
who knows, elway better hope luck pans out, but his weapons wont be an excuse. With those toys, he can literally be worse than andy dalton, and look like aaron rodgers