• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Jackson Does Not Like Today's NBA Basketball

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaha. Most Cavs fans here would still debate that Kyrie isn't injury prone. I'm not sure how they could after he was shown to have over 20 injuries since he's been in the league.

Speaking of Russy, he's been here impersonating a die-hard Cavs fan on these threads and then had nerve to get mad at me when I busted him out about repping Westbrook and OKC during LBJ's stint in Miami.

He's a"special" kinda guy.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Jackson did talk about at length was his belief in "a structure" or "a format" that involves all five players and emphasizes ball and player movement, whether it's the triangle or another system. He cited the Spurs and Warriors and Hawks as teams that exemplified the ideal.

But he disdains much of what he sees: an endless series of pick-and-roll plays, one setting up the next, until someone gets a layup or a three-pointer.

"The game actually has some beauty to it, and we've kind of taken some of that out of it to make it individualized," Jackson said. "It's a lot of who we are as a country, individualized stuff."

Indeed, Jackson seems much less concerned with validating the triangle than with the state of the game itself.

"When I watch some of these playoff games, and I look at what's being run out there, as what people call an offense, it's really quite remarkable to see how far our game has fallen from a team game," Jackson said. "Four guys stand around watching one guy dribble a basketball."

The lack of structure extends even to the basic tenets of the game, Jackson said.

"I watch LeBron James, for example," he said. "He might [travel] every other time he catches the basketball if he's off the ball. He catches the ball, moves both his feet. You see it happen all the time. There's no structure, there's no discipline, there's no 'How do we play this game' type of attitude. And it goes all the way through the game. To the point where now guys don't screen—they push guys off with their hands."

He concluded: "It struck me: How can we get so far away from the real truth of what we're trying to do? And if you give people structure, just like a jazz musician—he's gotta learn melody, and he's gotta learn the basic parts of music—and then he can learn how to improvise. And that's basically what team play is all about."

I get what he is saying, but he is partly wrong. I agree that it should be a team sport, but for a team to really gel and play like a team, it takes two or three years and most teams don't want to wait that long for their opportunity. In addition Phil Jackson's triangle offense is two slow for teams to win any more. It takes too much thought and time to set up and the players have dumbed down to much to remember all of that spacing and etc. The pick and rolls are being used a lot because they are effective. I remember the Lakers used to have a lot of problems with screens, pick and rolls even when they had a championship team and the also had a problem with zone defense. Before Phil Jackson starts pissing on Lebron's shoes as he just did, he should try fixing the Knicks and while he is at it - get a coach who has some experience instead the young Derek Fisher who has zero experience in leading a team to the playoffs as a head coach. Lebron went to the finals - the Knicks didn't

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it wise for one of the top basketball guys in the world to openly admit he's completely out of touch with today's game?
No - but I thought he was completely out of touch with today's game in the last two years he coached the Lakers, so this is nothing new. In the mean time - where were the Knicks when Lebron was in the finals?

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is correct. Lebone and his antics (pushing off, travelling and whining) with officials coddling him are making the game hard to watch. So glad Curry and crew prevailed.

Reactions: LAD

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he should try fixing the Knicks and while he is at it - get a coach who has some experience instead the young Derek Fisher who has zero experience in leading a team to the playoffs as a head coach.
Seeing as Kerr just won the finals I think that this point is pretty much moot, especially since Kerr was Jackson first choice.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as Kerr just won the finals I think that this point is pretty much moot, especially since Kerr was Jackson first choice.

How's it a mute point - The Warriors got better and won and the Knicks got worse and they hired some one to be a coach who hasn't ever been a coach in his entire life. By the way - Phil Jackson is the same person what wanted the Lakers to keep Shaq and trade Kobe for Jason Kidd.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's it a mute point - The Warriors got better and won and the Knicks got worse and they hired some one to be a coach who hasn't ever been a coach in his entire life. By the way - Phil Jackson is the same person what wanted the Lakers to keep Shaq and trade Kobe for Jason Kidd.

It would be moot because Kerr didn't have any more coaching experience than Fisher.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors are rare though... Not many teams can go so small and still play decent defense and score so well... They have shooters all over the floor and guy's that can get too the rim ... And of course they have Curry who is a great closer ...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony is not happy with Phil's draft picks and trades. Phil appears to like the notoriety of the GM position but doesn't want to do the work to build a team. His selections and trades last night were less than optimal and it reflected a half-ass effort on his part.

Phil always had a GM when he was a coach to help him navigate personnel. Now he is the focal point in building a team and he is whimping-out like a little girl. His throwing LeBron under the bus and his interview last night was like somebody shit a turd into his punch bowl.

He's behaving like he misses Jeanie Buss a lot and not getting enough lovin'. Geez, buck up to the bar and put your big boy pants on Phil, ya freakin' little wussie. The Knicks are your team to fix and you are failing. That bowtie kid could do a better job!