• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Jackson Does Not Like Today's NBA Basketball

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Jackson did talk about at length was his belief in "a structure" or "a format" that involves all five players and emphasizes ball and player movement, whether it's the triangle or another system. He cited the Spurs and Warriors and Hawks as teams that exemplified the ideal.

But he disdains much of what he sees: an endless series of pick-and-roll plays, one setting up the next, until someone gets a layup or a three-pointer.

"The game actually has some beauty to it, and we've kind of taken some of that out of it to make it individualized," Jackson said. "It's a lot of who we are as a country, individualized stuff."

Indeed, Jackson seems much less concerned with validating the triangle than with the state of the game itself.

"When I watch some of these playoff games, and I look at what's being run out there, as what people call an offense, it's really quite remarkable to see how far our game has fallen from a team game," Jackson said. "Four guys stand around watching one guy dribble a basketball."

The lack of structure extends even to the basic tenets of the game, Jackson said.

"I watch LeBron James, for example," he said. "He might [travel] every other time he catches the basketball if he's off the ball. He catches the ball, moves both his feet. You see it happen all the time. There's no structure, there's no discipline, there's no 'How do we play this game' type of attitude. And it goes all the way through the game. To the point where now guys don't screen—they push guys off with their hands."

He concluded: "It struck me: How can we get so far away from the real truth of what we're trying to do? And if you give people structure, just like a jazz musician—he's gotta learn melody, and he's gotta learn the basic parts of music—and then he can learn how to improvise. And that's basically what team play is all about."

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson is to pro-basketball what Vince Lombardi was to football and what John Wooden was to college basketball. He might sound a little out of place because his philosophy is totally different from his contemporaries and his followers. He is about as close to being a coaching genius as one will find.

What he said about LeBron James or any other extant player is most assuredly listen worthy. He knows the game of pro-basketball because he has proven it with all those rings. Too much LeBron James in the play-offs was not enough. Yes, I know, people will say they were without some of their best players but, this is pro-basketball and you must do with what you have not how it could have been. Listen to the man; he has coached two of the greatest players in this life time with very large egos and still won. He knows his craft. And add this, great players make coaches great. If you do not have great players, would be great coaches get fired.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with much of his assessment. Much of the course the NBA has taken to feature superstars instead of the team game has eaten away at the game's integrity. This is the basis of Jackson's comments and he is right. The Dubs proved again that the team game that is great, still beats a superstar-driven "team" whose superstar controls the HC like his personal bitch.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a ridiculous statement from Phil considering his history. MJ and Kobe traveled as much as Lebron and his famed "triangle offense" was stand around and watch those two ISO.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is right. He basically lists most of the reasons I rarely watch the NBA anymore.

Most of the people who like the current state of the NBA have ADHD riddled brains who are under 30 years old.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't like the NBA because the Knicks won 17 games and got only the 4th pick in the NBA draft.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is right, but Lebron really didnt have much of a choice in this years' playoffs. Before Love went down they were actually playing very good team basketball, plus they have a rookie coach. So him calling out Lebron for that is kinda of a low-blow IMO. But other than that basketball has changed but usually the team that gets the whole team involved comes out winning, at the least the last couple years.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yes, Phil is correct...and we have the AAU programs at the youth level to thank for that.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Phil has a problem with the aesthetics of the league.... he should do something about those Knicks :dhd:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Phil Jackson accidentally caught a college basketball game.

The NBA is fine except for the traveling problem which was around when he was dominating. Most of the games superstars get away with a travel in every fast break.

The only real complaint he could have is hand checking and thats a debate no one really talks about

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that MJ and Kobe ran their share of isolation plays when Phil was their coach. A key difference between those two guys and, say LBJ, who Phil singles out in his criticism, is that the former had far superior supporting casts than did James in this last series.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like Michael Jordan did a lot to individualize the game and make it about how great he was despite his good supporting cast. Now he was the greatest, but to complain about individual accolades and play when you coached the biggest guy for that, it's kind of off. Jordan wasn't cut off for the good of the team play. But I agree when it comes to an individual star passing to an individual star as opposed to running an offense through a singular star like Jordan or Kobe (Shaq-less years).

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it wise for one of the top basketball guys in the world to openly admit he's completely out of touch with today's game?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as a GM of one of the major NBA markets. When Phil isn't getting enough attention apparently he has a tendency to run his mouth and when he threw himself inadvertently under the bus this time even though he was trying to take a swipe at today's players, his lack of wisdom was glaringly evident.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Jackson did talk about at length was his belief in "a structure" or "a format" that involves all five players and emphasizes ball and player movement, whether it's the triangle or another system. He cited the Spurs and Warriors and Hawks as teams that exemplified the ideal.

But he disdains much of what he sees: an endless series of pick-and-roll plays, one setting up the next, until someone gets a layup or a three-pointer.

"The game actually has some beauty to it, and we've kind of taken some of that out of it to make it individualized," Jackson said. "It's a lot of who we are as a country, individualized stuff."

Indeed, Jackson seems much less concerned with validating the triangle than with the state of the game itself.

"When I watch some of these playoff games, and I look at what's being run out there, as what people call an offense, it's really quite remarkable to see how far our game has fallen from a team game," Jackson said. "Four guys stand around watching one guy dribble a basketball."

The lack of structure extends even to the basic tenets of the game, Jackson said.

"I watch LeBron James, for example," he said. "He might [travel] every other time he catches the basketball if he's off the ball. He catches the ball, moves both his feet. You see it happen all the time. There's no structure, there's no discipline, there's no 'How do we play this game' type of attitude. And it goes all the way through the game. To the point where now guys don't screen—they push guys off with their hands."

He concluded: "It struck me: How can we get so far away from the real truth of what we're trying to do? And if you give people structure, just like a jazz musician—he's gotta learn melody, and he's gotta learn the basic parts of music—and then he can learn how to improvise. And that's basically what team play is all about."

Phil Jackson is proving just how overrated he is with the Knicks. Give me Jordan & Pippen and Kobe & Shaq all in their respective prime(s) and I could have won 10 titles myself. I believe that Jackson's best asset is the ability to get all the egos working together. I'm pretty sure he was the ONLY one who could get Dennis Rodman to keep his head on straight.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is very ironic, is Phil has truly one of the most 1-on-1 players in the history of the game on his team NOW. Carmelo Anthony. :laugh3:

This is all about publicity at this point, I dont think he even believes most of the stuff he said. He is just trying to get himself and the Knicks back into relevance and maybe entice some free agents. Dont know if this is the best way honestly.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like Michael Jordan did a lot to individualize the game and make it about how great he was despite his good supporting cast. Now he was the greatest, but to complain about individual accolades and play when you coached the biggest guy for that, it's kind of off. Jordan wasn't cut off for the good of the team play. But I agree when it comes to an individual star passing to an individual star as opposed to running an offense through a singular star like Jordan or Kobe (Shaq-less years).

Bulls were all MJ until Phil got to Chicago. 64 points at the garden in the playoffs.. MJ tried to beat the Celtics/Pistons by himself. It looked a lot like what Lebron was doing in the 2015 playoffs - 25/30 shots a game give or take. The triangle offense worked pretty good for the Bulls obviously once Phil showed up, but it took a few years. Of course at the end of the game, MJ would get a shot or create one for someone else..

Lakers were also a mess before Phil got there. Shaq was about to strangle Kobe. Phil turned them into a more selfless team. And don't forget the man Phil wanted to coach the Knicks was Kerr and Kerr was obviously smart. But until Phil can get Melo to buy into a selfless team concept, the knicks are going nowhere.

I have to agree with Phil when he says, "you see a lot of 1 on 1 out there with 4 guys standing around".

The playoffs were still good this year tho.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing....

I feel like the Cavs offense is being characterized by their late playoffs run... when they totally changed strategies to deal with their... personnel issues.

The iso-crazy, slow-tempo, grind-it-out Cavs we saw in the Finals were a far cry from what we saw in the regular season.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a ridiculous statement from Phil considering his history. MJ and Kobe traveled as much as Lebron and his famed "triangle offense" was stand around and watch those two ISO.

Exactly.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bulls, Lakers with Phil and that triangle won what 10 titles? Both teams did nada before he got there. Yeah Kobe and MJ went ISO when they needed a big shot or the Lakers went inside to Shaq daddy, but it wasn't ISO the whole game. THe triangle was a selfless offense. Which is why Kobe and MJ never won a dam thing until FLIP showed up. C'mon man! :nono:

Now it is ISO most of the game. Phil brings balance to any team (without Melo) and that's exactly what Steve Kerr did in Golden St.