• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Jackson Being Shown the Door

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't that Phil was wrong about moving Melo. It's publicly bashing him that made no sense. Calling him selfish and not a team player is not how you trade a guy.

Xactly, diminishing a players value is probably the #1 rule on the "Not to Do" list for a GM

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't that Phil was wrong about moving Melo. It's publicly bashing him that made no sense. Calling him selfish and not a team player is not how you trade a guy.

Agree 100%. Not only did he start a pissing match with Melo that he was never going to win, but he drove down Melo's trade value by bashing him.

Imo, one of Phil's best attributes as a coach was knowing how and when to "tweak/bash" one of his players publicly to get that players attention and motivate him.

Those "tweaks" don't work for a GM like they do a coach.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly -- except you presumably get paid more, get to start from scratch (sort of), have a rising young star in Porzingis, and get to work in New York instead of Toronto.
1) MLSE has more money than god and enjoys spending as much of it as they're allowed. Money is not an issue.

2) The Knicks have an unmovable (by his choice) Melo contract that essentially prohibits them from having the option of "starting from scratch".

3) They have Porzingis. They have nothing else and are not a destination for free agents at the moment.

4) I don't know Masai personally so I can't speak one way or another here, but I do know he lives in one of the more upscale residential neighborhoods in the city proper here, which isn't a very far drive from the Raps' offices/training facility or the ACC. I do know he's got a young daughter, and I do know Manhattan well enough to know that he would have to move out to LI or Westchester or Jersey to find a comparable situation.

He's also worked in Toronto on two separate occasions and does seem to genuinely like it here.

I mean, if the Lakers or Heat or something came calling maybe the warmer weather would entice but I can't see someone who's as comfortable as he appears to be leaving here for the tire fire that is the Knicks.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a believer Dolan gets the worst rap

This guy has done everything the fans have ever asked for, minus the Isiah circus

The celebration in this city when he hired Phil, forget it

They wanted Carmello, he gets Carmello

They want him to stay out of the way and let his "people" run the thing, he did exactly that

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wolves are actually trying to do something. And they occasionally win trades, like last week.

They don't trade 1st round draft picks for highly over rated Italian centers that can't play center. Or sign over the hill players to 4 year deals that they can never get out from under.

I know they're trying to do something... but they've screwed up everything since their run to the conference finals in 2004.... :gaah:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be good job for a GM to turn around the franchise but Dolan makes it difficult for somebody like Griffin to seriously consider it if he got offered the job.

How? He gave Phil Jackson the power to do whatever he wanted.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This guy has done everything the fans have ever asked for, minus the Isiah circus

They want him to stay out of the way and let his "people" run the thing, he did exactly that
Switching teams, he gave Glen Sather free reign for 15 years on the Rangers and while it was Phil Jackson-esque at the start they did eventually become pretty regular contenders in the NHL.

He makes it tougher on himself sometimes (Isiah) but he wouldn't torpedo something that's working, which is more than can be said for many owners (Hi Dan Gilbert).

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Dolan needs to decide what type of owner he wants to be. Prior to hiring Phil, he seemed like he wanted to be a "hands on" Jerry Jones/Mark Cuban type of owner.

Then, when he hired Phil, it seemed like he wanted to be a "hands off/hire the best and let them work" Dr. Buss type of owner. Although, he never really stayed out of the spotlight either.

If he wants to be hands on, then he needs to hire someone who is willing to work in a more collaborative effort, but that he will also listen to.

If he wants to be hands off, then he needs to take his time and try to hire a proven GM and then get the hell out of the way.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) MLSE has more money than god and enjoys spending as much of it as they're allowed. Money is not an issue.

2) The Knicks have an unmovable (by his choice) Melo contract that essentially prohibits them from having the option of "starting from scratch".

3) They have Porzingis. They have nothing else and are not a destination for free agents at the moment.

4) I don't know Masai personally so I can't speak one way or another here, but I do know he lives in one of the more upscale residential neighborhoods in the city proper here, which isn't a very far drive from the Raps' offices/training facility or the ACC. I do know he's got a young daughter, and I do know Manhattan well enough to know that he would have to move out to LI or Westchester or Jersey to find a comparable situation.

He's also worked in Toronto on two separate occasions and does seem to genuinely like it here.

I mean, if the Lakers or Heat or something came calling maybe the warmer weather would entice but I can't see someone who's as comfortable as he appears to be leaving here for the tire fire that is the Knicks.

1. Ujiri makes $3 million per year (5/15). Phil Jackson made $12 million per year (5/60).

2. Melo's contract is not necessarily unmovable and I'm sure a competent executive like Ujiri could figure out a way to move him.

3. Once Melo's contract is moved, they'd have Porzingis and Ntilikina and a bunch of money to build. Yeah, the Noah and Lee deals aren't great but they wouldn't totally handicap Ujiri.

4. No way to know where he'd prefer but it's easier to land free agents in NY than Toronto.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because he is rarely able to establish a rhythm because he doesn't get enough shots to develop one. He has shown throughout his time in Cleveland, when he gets the shots to develop a rhythm, he can be quite effective. The Cavs just haven't been able to find a balance between getting him enough shots to develop a rhythm and Kyrie and Lebron being able to do their thing.

If he were on the Warriors or Spurs, I think he'd be much more of a factor because of how those teams move the ball and keep everyone involved.

RUBIO!!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Ujiri makes $3 million per year (5/15). Phil Jackson made $12 million per year (5/60).

2. Melo's contract is not necessarily unmovable and I'm sure a competent executive like Ujiri could figure out a way to move him.

3. Once Melo's contract is moved, they'd have Porzingis and Ntilikina and a bunch of money to build. Yeah, the Noah and Lee deals aren't great but they wouldn't totally handicap Ujiri.

4. No way to know where he'd prefer but it's easier to land free agents in NY than Toronto.
1. That was Masai's going rate. If his going rate rises and MLSE wants to keep him around, they will. They might not pay him $12 million per year because he isn't worth $12 million per year. Doesn't mean they can't or wouldn't. Ergo, money is not an issue.

2. It's unmovable because he doesn't want to leave.

3. See 2. Also, maybe stop depending on the French rookie drafted in the lower top 10 who averaged 5.4 PPG in Strasbourg lol.

4. Is it? Is there a free agent in the last ten years the Knicks have gotten that the Raptors (or any other team) would be like "aw shit, Knicks really beat us to that guy!"?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there is no magic solution to moving Melo. If he didn't have the NTC he would have already have been traded.

But he doesn't want to leave NYC.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke Phil is :pound:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke Phil is :pound:

Is he? How much money has he made in NY? I think everyone saw this coming when he was first hired. If they didn't, they had their head up there ass.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there is no magic solution to moving Melo. If he didn't have the NTC he would have already have been traded.

But he doesn't want to leave NYC.

That's why he's trying to negotiate a buyout? He's willing to go to a team in close proximity to NYC (probably Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Brooklyn?, and I'd guess Cleveland.) Now, maybe things change with Phil Jackson out. Who knows.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why he's trying to negotiate a buyout? He's willing to go to a team in close proximity to NYC (probably Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Brooklyn?, and I'd guess Cleveland.) Now, maybe things change with Phil Jackson out. Who knows.

Well why not take a buyout and then get a brand new contract from one of those teams?