• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peppers picked a peck of pickled Packers.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so you going to shit on the d line for doing their job too. In the end our defense was ranked 15th in the NFL last year. It really seems like you are bitching just to bitch at this point.

... and thus Kreton solves the riddle of TrustMe.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so you going to shit on the d line for doing their job too.

I have already said the only spot on the defense that the front office has tried to make really good is the defensive line. We have 3 1st round picks on the defensive line. How many 1st round picks do we have in the back 7?

Where am I shitting on them? The TEAM, as a whole, had only 33 sacks. The Defensive Line can't cover the WRs and TEs. No matter how good the defensive line does their job -- if the back 7 doesn't do their job, it doesn't matter. What did being 3rd in the NFL in QB hurries get us? 2 interceptions by our CBs and 25th in passing yards against?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and thus Kreton solves the riddle of TrustMe.

Don't you have another meaningless signing by the front office to post about. I'm sure we've picked up some 3rd stringer you will tell everyone how great the move is and then get butt hurt when people laugh at your honolulu blue glasses.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you have another meaningless signing by the front office to post about. I'm sure we've picked up some 3rd stringer you will tell everyone how great the move is and then get butt hurt when people laugh at your honolulu blue glasses.

Thank you for continuing to prove my point. You get called out for bitching for the sake of bitching, and your response is more bitching. Who would have guessed? :yahoo:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You perma-positive honks are just moving more and more towards completely fucking retarded.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for continuing to prove my point. You get called out for bitching for the sake of bitching, and your response is more bitching. Who would have guessed?

What am I missing? What is bitching about stating a fact? As I said -- the Lions could sign the water boy from the Toronto Argonauts and you'd put up a post on how it is a great signing, how it adds depth and with a couple years of development the guy will be a starter.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What am I missing? What is bitching about stating a fact? As I said -- the Lions could sign the water boy from the Toronto Argonauts and you'd put up a post on how it is a great signing, how it adds depth and with a couple years of development the guy will be a starter.

Yep- and there's your trademark hyperbole.

That's the last-grasp effort of most people who don't have any legitimate points left on their side....

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those hurries did keep us out of the bottom 8 in passing yards against. That can be spun in a positive way Im sure. The Packers can't say that. They gave up .4 more a game. And signed Julius Peppers. We lost our best "hurry" guy to the Bears and signed Daryl freakin' Tapp.

Dude you are sounding like Mike now. The Lions lost a reserve player and replaced with with a player. Oh no. Seasons over. Pack it up. Lions are done.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already said the only spot on the defense that the front office has tried to make really good is the defensive line. We have 3 1st round picks on the defensive line. How many 1st round picks do we have in the back 7?

Where am I shitting on them? The TEAM, as a whole, had only 33 sacks. The Defensive Line can't cover the WRs and TEs. No matter how good the defensive line does their job -- if the back 7 doesn't do their job, it doesn't matter. What did being 3rd in the NFL in QB hurries get us? 2 interceptions by our CBs and 25th in passing yards against?

Yea you fucking are. You are jumping in and bitching because the Lions added depth to the d line that hasn't been all pro. No matter how you twist up anything else the Lions had the 15th best defense in the NFL last year. And not much has changed except we added hopefully better coaching which should result in better defensive playing.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh I forgot. Player development is taboo. Good teams don't develop players. Good teams build by over spending in free agency. That's how champions are built right Mike?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I forgot. Player development is taboo. Good teams don't develop players. Good teams build by over spending in free agency. That's how champions are built right Mike?

Good teams DO develop talent. The Lions are not one of those teams. Whether it be coaching, poor drafting or whatever. Last year is the best draft the Lions have had in a long time. If they can put together a draft like that for the defense side of the ball this year and find a #1 CB, OLB, Safety and possibly a DE -- they have a chance to be really good.

The problem is -- drafts like last year isn't the norm for Detroit. If Detroit rolls out basically the same defense they had last year, you are going to get the same results. I love the Lions just like everyone else on this board. The simple fact is -- the team is 11-21 over the last two years. The defense is good when they face a mediocre offense. If the Lions objective is to just get to the playoffs -- I have no problem with the moves they've made.
, w
IMO, for the Lions to get to the next level, they are going to have to invest high picks and/or cap space in FA in the back 7. We have done so with the front 4, but as we saw last year, when the secondary can't hold coverage -- the DL isn't going to get many sacks. That is why I wanted to see them try and upgrade the back 7 in FA and why I didn't like giving Golden Tate that much money, even if he is good fit. As was said though -- maybe none of the defensive FA wanted anything to do with the Lions? None of us know what was done by the FO and what went down.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know shit. First off our back 7 wasn't horrible last year. Our corners were. We have young talent that we don't know how good they will do with new coaching. Maybe, just maybe, this new coaching staff likes the potential of the young guys we have. Maybe they saw all those bad dropped passes last year and thought that needed to be addressed. You act like we had the worst d in the NFL last year. We didn't. Not even close. Lions need 2 things on defense. No 3. Better game planning and adjustments, players to be in the right spot to limit big plays, and more turnovers. Better coaching will help all of those things except maybe turnovers. And I do think that Linehan and Cunningham were Shitty coaches, and Schwartz doesn't belong in the NFL. So coaching changes with guys with success in the modern NFL should make all of those areas better. Even if the defense plays as the same level they did last year having a receiver with reliable hands, and if if this staff reduces bad offensive turnovers we will will see a completely different team.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good teams DO develop talent. The Lions are not one of those teams. Whether it be coaching, poor drafting or whatever. Last year is the best draft the Lions have had in a long time. If they can put together a draft like that for the defense side of the ball this year and find a #1 CB, OLB, Safety and possibly a DE -- they have a chance to be really good.

The problem is -- drafts like last year isn't the norm for Detroit. If Detroit rolls out basically the same defense they had last year, you are going to get the same results. I love the Lions just like everyone else on this board. The simple fact is -- the team is 11-21 over the last two years. The defense is good when they face a mediocre offense. If the Lions objective is to just get to the playoffs -- I have no problem with the moves they've made.
, w
IMO, for the Lions to get to the next level, they are going to have to invest high picks and/or cap space in FA in the back 7. We have done so with the front 4, but as we saw last year, when the secondary can't hold coverage -- the DL isn't going to get many sacks. That is why I wanted to see them try and upgrade the back 7 in FA and why I didn't like giving Golden Tate that much money, even if he is good fit. As was said though -- maybe none of the defensive FA wanted anything to do with the Lions? None of us know what was done by the FO and what went down.
We have a different staff now. Don't you think it'd be fair to give them a shot at improving our players before writing them off?

Maybe the staff has looked at tape and saw things in our players they like and can work with? They also did try and reach out to some of those "high profile" FAs but they obviously declined for whatever reasons. And we have no clue who the Lions are going to draft. We had several rookies last year come in and make impacts, and that was with piss poor coaching. I'd like to think these current coaches are much better. One helped run a high octane offense while another coached multiple top tier defensive backs.

Nobody can make you believe in our coaches or this team, but what good is it doing to already decide this team is a failure? We haven't even seen the team under the new staff yet. Sheesh.

Last edited by a moderator:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know shit.

This coming from you that predicted the Lions at 19-0 last season. Even you have to admit that is homer and kool-aid.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know shit. First off our back 7 wasn't horrible last year. Our corners were. We have young talent that we don't know how good they will do with new coaching. Maybe, just maybe, this new coaching staff likes the potential of the young guys we have. Maybe they saw all those bad dropped passes last year and thought that needed to be addressed. You act like we had the worst d in the NFL last year. We didn't. Not even close. Lions need 2 things on defense. No 3. Better game planning and adjustments, players to be in the right spot to limit big plays, and more turnovers. Better coaching will help all of those things except maybe turnovers. And I do think that Linehan and Cunningham were Shitty coaches, and Schwartz doesn't belong in the NFL. So coaching changes with guys with success in the modern NFL should make all of those areas better. Even if the defense plays as the same level they did last year having a receiver with reliable hands, and if if this staff reduces bad offensive turnovers we will will see a completely different team.

So it wasn't the Lions players, it was the Lions coaches who are at fault?

Linehan has been an OC in the NFL from 2002-2005. Then he was a head coach in the NFL from 2005-2008 and hired by the Lions from 2009-2013. He was hired already by the Cowboys.

Gunther Cunningham has been coaching defensively in college and the pros since 1969. He has been employed in the NFL since 1982 and has been a defensive line coach, linebackers coach, defensive coordinator, Assistant Head Coach and even a head coach.

I can't stand Schwartz, but it has more to do with ego than anything else. He was thought so little of by the NFL, that he was hired to take over Buffalo's defense already.

We can point fingers at the coaching staff, the scheme or anything else, but while the Lions have elite talent on offense, outside of the DL, the defense is sorely lacking for impact talent. I think that has a lot to do why Stafford is something crazy like like 1-21 against teams who have finished the season with a winning record.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a different staff now. Don't you think it'd be fair to give them a shot at improving our players before writing them off?

Maybe the staff has looked at tape and saw things in our players they like and can work with? They also did try and reach out to some of those "high profile" FAs but they obviously declined for whatever reasons. And we have no clue who the Lions are going to draft. We had several rookies last year come in and make impacts, and that was with piss poor coaching. I'd like to think these current coaches are much better. One helped run a high octane offense while another coached multiple top tier defensive backs.

Nobody can make you believe in our coaches or this team, but what good is it doing to already decide this team is a failure? We haven't even seen the team under the new staff yet. Sheesh.

I didn't call the team a failure. I believe the Lions have enough talent offensively to get to the playoffs. I just believe they will not make any waves in the playoffs until they make some changes on the defensive side of the ball.

I think Jim Caldwell will instill discipline they sorely were missing the last couple years, but I'm not sure a 1st time OC and a 1st time DC is going to change the overall complexion of the team. Detroit had two of the most experienced coordinators in the NFL last year, both with head coaching experience in the NFL. So to call Austin and Lombardi better coordinators, when neither has held the position is a little tough.

I agree that Schwartz was terrible as a head coach, but he was supposedly one of the bright young defensive minds in Tennessee and we paired him with a DC with 40+ years of coaching defenses in college and the NFL.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it wasn't the Lions players, it was the Lions coaches who are at fault?

Linehan has been an OC in the NFL from 2002-2005. Then he was a head coach in the NFL from 2005-2008 and hired by the Lions from 2009-2013. He was hired already by the Cowboys.

Gunther Cunningham has been coaching defensively in college and the pros since 1969. He has been employed in the NFL since 1982 and has been a defensive line coach, linebackers coach, defensive coordinator, Assistant Head Coach and even a head coach.

I can't stand Schwartz, but it has more to do with ego than anything else. He was thought so little of by the NFL, that he was hired to take over Buffalo's defense already.

We can point fingers at the coaching staff, the scheme or anything else, but while the Lions have elite talent on offense, outside of the DL, the defense is sorely lacking for impact talent. I think that has a lot to do why Stafford is something crazy like like 1-21 against teams who have finished the season with a winning record.

Just so we are clear. You really now arguing that our coaching staff last year was fine. Holy fuck dude we are beyond done. If you are now shitting in the Lions for letting those fucks go I don't think there is anything left to say.