• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Payton suspended a year

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, the league came down hard on them. I wonder if this would have swayed signings had players known this was coming.

My first thought was Brees - if they hadn't tagged him would he have entertained offers (like from us) knowing of this possibility. I'm certain the organization was given a heads up that severe discipline was imminent.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would expect this had something to do with putting the tag on Brees

No it had everything to do with this:

"A combination of elements made this matter particularly unusual and egregious," Goodell said. "When there is targeting of players for injury and cash rewards over a three-year period, the involvement of the coaching staff, and three years of denials and willful disrespect of the rules, a strong and lasting message must be sent that such conduct is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game."

Nice photo Space...

InTheRedZone377

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@mortreport

NFL says #Saints bounties were placed on at least 4 QBs - Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers & Cam Newton

Cam Newton? That is fairly recent! They must have known the NFL was investigating at that point.

They were coming at Alex Smith repeatedly in the preseason game. Was this the warm-up for the season? I remember Harbaugh having some issues with it during a preseason game and Sean Peyton acting like he didn't know what Harbauigh was talking about.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it had everything to do with this:

"A combination of elements made this matter particularly unusual and egregious," Goodell said. "When there is targeting of players for injury and cash rewards over a three-year period, the involvement of the coaching staff, and three years of denials and willful disrespect of the rules, a strong and lasting message must be sent that such conduct is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game."

Nice photo Space...

Strong words, I hope every team gets the message. This game is brutal enough without adding bounties to the equation.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all got hit hard right here. This will hurt the Rams for sure. I hate facing Williams' defenses.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Posted this in the thread Dodub started. Anyone know the answers?

Hurts two teams in our conference, and one in our division. No complaints here. It will be interesting to see what the Saints do this year. If Brees is disgruntled at all, their season could be down the drain.

Does anyone know if Loomis' suspension is effective immediately? Or does it start with the season? Can he participate in FA and the draft? If so, the suspension doesn't seem terribly harsh for a guy who explicitly ignored an order from his owner and continued to permit the program.

An does this mean no players will be fined or suspended?

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after the playoff run the year the Saints won the SB,they deserved this,it will be interesting to see how deep this goes into the players involved

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after the playoff run the year the Saints won the SB,they deserved this,it will be interesting to see how deep this goes into the players involved

You would think that Vilma would maybe get looked into more. After he allegedly threw down the 10 grand for Favre.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with this type of punishment. It's a very clear message that future individuals will be forced to think 4x about setting up a bounty system.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Aww the nfl's charity team hit hard..hit as hard as Katrina did.

And hopping bus out of town didnt help Williams either...I hope that the morons in New Orleans dont use that as an excuse for not leaving the next time a cat 5 hits town.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Unfortunately for the Saints this came out at the worse possible time when the NFL is trying to stress player safety.

If this all came out 5 or so years ago the punishment I imagine wouldn't have been as bad.

But I suppose that means the Saints can flush this season down the toilet since Payton was heavily involved in the offense. They're still likely playoff bound but I have a tough time seeing them go much of anywhere once they are there.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I read that Peyton's plan for his eventual suspension (which he figured would be 4 games) was to put Joe Vitt in charge........time for plan B. Or C, or whatever he's on. Maybe Brees can coach the team.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know if Loomis' suspension is effective immediately? Or does it start with the season? Can he participate in FA and the draft? If so, the suspension doesn't seem terribly harsh for a guy who explicitly ignored an order from his owner and continued to permit the program.

I was watching the NFL Network on my lunch and they were saying that Loomis can still participate in FA and the draft, but Payton can not.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steep penalty for Payton. Much as I hate the arrrogant piece of shit, the penalty was too much and will surely be reduced upon appeal. Goodell is such a hypocrite.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said they would get hit harder than anytime before. This does not surprise me at all. I wonder if the Saints decide to use this to just clean house now?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody think the saints fire payton? Missing a whole yr is bad enough plus the fact that it might we wise to make everything clean and get rid of everything? Heck maybe even loomis and the asistant need to go.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, something awesome and related I found on another board:

smiththebountyhunter.png

That is too funny. I have to rep you.