• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patterson?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My strategy to trade up gets us an elite explosive playmaking WR in Patterson something Justin Hunter ain't. And you want to draft and play a rookie in the secondary hahaha he will get picked on and burned 49ers are trying to get back to the SB. The 49ers havn't had an elite wideout big and fast since TO in 2003.

And you talking like Reid and Hunter are locks to be studs is beyond laughable.

At this point it's pretty clear the plan is to address FS in the draft. Unless you think they should start Craig Dahl there? Or CJ Spillman?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way Red80, it looks like you're new to the forum, so don't take me disagreeing with you as a dig.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I have been saying it all comes down to his noggin. How dumb is he? Is that why he was slow to learn the plays or was he just too late to the program and didn't get enough time?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One thing I will say for Patterson, which is something I overlooked in the past, he's one of the bigger WRs in the draft at 216 pounds. He came in 20 pounds heavier than Hunter (and 2 inches shorter), so he definitely brings better over-the-middle ability to the table than Hunter does.

Not noticing that probably made me under-value him a bit.

Red80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent review of Cordarrelle Patterson's 1st season at Tennessee...

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42536/321/patterson-the-playmaker

One fact crystallized after about two games: Scoring touchdowns and playing explosive football come natural to Cordarrelle Patterson. He is a natural playmaker. Listed at 6-foot-3, 205, Patterson's body type is similar to Dez Bryant and Julio Jones', and his game is especially similar to Julio's. Patterson's movements seemed effortless even as he outraced defensive backs and made oncoming defenders shiver. Julio is a bit like that. Randy Moss was like that, too

.Although Patterson's primary position in Tennessee's offense was "X-Iso" receiver on the outside, the Vols devised ways other than fly and go routes to put the ball in Patterson's hands. In the six games I viewed, one of Patterson's most impressive plays came on a 15-yard rushing attempt in the fourth quarter versus Mississippi State.Lined up as a traditional tailback, Patterson accepted quarterback Tyler Bray's handoff and moved subtly, patiently to his right. Running upright and contemplating his lane, Patterson exploded suddenly with a violent cut on a sweep, forcing Bulldogs linebackers Deontae Skinner and Bernardrick McKinney to flail and miss badly. Patterson dipped his shoulder and finished the run with forceful authority. The run was Petersonian.

I checked the box score after watching the Mississippi State game, just for kicks. Patterson had two catches for 25 yards. He was still a Human Highlight Reel, ripping off devastating cuts to make three Bulldogs special teamers look silly on a 98-yard kickoff return touchdown. Patterson turned a 10-yard loss into a long gain on a reverse, busting a tackle deep in the backfield, making another defender miss, and reversing field again en route to a 34-yard pickup. His first reception came in heralded cornerback Johnthan Banks' coverage, as Patterson's precise curl-out route left Banks flat footed for 14 yards along the left sideline. Patterson got his second catch versus another highly touted draft prospect in Darius Slay, out-muscling Banks' bookend for an 11-yard touchdown on a fade. Patterson just barely missed an additional kick return score, shaking two Bulldogs before a lucky shoestring tackle stopped Patterson at the 39-yard line with only green grass in front of him. Despite catching just two balls against Mississippi State, Patterson finished with 195 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. (When you say 'play', I say 'maker'.)

Facing another top-rated cornerback versus North Carolina State, Patterson whipped 2011 NCAA interceptions leader David Amerson for a 41-yard scoring bomb, creating a cavity of separation at the end of his fly route. Patterson continued his schooling of Amerson on an end-around, breaking three tackles and easily outrunning Amerson for a 67-yard rushing touchdown. Against Missouri, Patterson had two TDs negated by penalties, the first on a silly high-stepping call and the second on a hold that didn't affect the play. Patterson lost yet another touchdown against Vanderbilt after juking Commodores safety Kenny Ladler on a quick curl and scoring from 27 yards out. Officials caught the Vols' center blocking too far downfield.

Cordarrelle Patterson is a freak. There were times he looked genuinely un-tackle-able on tape. I charted him with 29 open-field opportunities across six games. He made the first defender miss on 20 of them. Many receivers are explosive vertically and run fast in a straight line. Patterson is explosive both vertically and laterally, and physical as all get out. I loved how he got skinny through tight spaces, regularly sending would-be tacklers grasping at air as they left their feet. Patterson's run-after-catch ability might be the best I have ever seen from a college wide receiver.

I think I read somewhere that Patterson is a poor route runner. Could've fooled me. He ran a full route tree in Tennessee's pro-style offense, executing the curl, hitch, skinny post, slant, back-shoulder fade, and deep-in as an X receiver, and the out-and-up and shallow cross from the slot. Just once did I see Patterson seem to blow a route; versus Vanderbilt. I couldn't tell if the miscommunication was on him or Tyler Bray. Patterson shot in and out of breaks. He used a crossover to evade press coverage off the line of scrimmage. His body control was fantastic both along the sideline and in the open field.Patterson's game tape is nothing short of sensational, and as explained above he dominated games in the SEC even while taking a receiving backseat to Hunter.

Watch Patterson work the slant and fade versus Florida. He lit up Missouri and Mississippi State with game-breaking all-purpose plays. Patterson broke off a 45-yard kickoff return against Alabama. On a reverse, Patterson made swiss cheese of the middle of Georgia's defense on a 46-yard end-zone trip.Based on what I read about Patterson before watching the tape, I expected a raw, unpolished, mistake-prone receiver.

A talented project. I did see big-time talent, but I didn't see many mistakes at all.

If Cordarrelle Patterson is a boom-or-bust pick in April's draft, write me down as predicting a smashing boom.

Sensible NFL Team Fits: Bills, Jets, Browns, Chargers, Dolphins, Panthers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly think that Patteson needs to clean up is route running. He is going to be extremely dangerous in the NFL, I just hope he goes out of the division.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: I hope he gets drafted before the Rams pick.

For sure. Jeff Fisher is doing good things in STL, they are brining in the right pieces I feel. We already stuggle with them enough without adding the most explosive playmaker in the draft.

Red80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly think that Patteson needs to clean up is route running. He is going to be extremely dangerous in the NFL, I just hope he goes out of the division.

Patterson would get the coaching he needs on the 49ers to work on refining his route running and learning an NFL playbook. Toss him in the 49ers new state of the art gym with Willis and the boys and with CK7 getting this kid the football the 49ers will be unleashing a pro bowl wideout beast.

49ers need to move up past the Rams who have the 16th and 22nd picks.

Carolina at 14 could use another 2nd round pick they don't have a 3rd.

Our 31st and 34th for the Panthers 14th and a 4th works out just about perfect on the draft trade chart and keeps Patterson away from the Rams and gives the 49ers an explosive big playmaker at wideout. Both Boldin and Crabtree could be gone in 2 years.

I want another explosive 49ers wideout like an Owens Rice or Taylor already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson would get the coaching he needs on the 49ers to work on refining his route running and learning an NFL playbook. Toss him in the 49ers new state of the art gym with Willis and the boys and with CK7 getting this kid the football the 49ers will be unleashing a pro bowl wideout beast.

Our 31st and 34th for the Panthers 14th and a 4th works out just about perfect on the draft trade chart and keeps Patterson away from the Rams and gives the 49ers an explosive big playmaker at wideout. Both Boldin and Crabtree could be gone in 2 years.

I don't think there is any chance we get our hands on him, he'll be taken way too early.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Man.. I would love to do that trade..oh well.. Doubt it happens

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For the record, I'm a little higher on Patterson than I was a month ago after thinking about how he moves VS the way some other guys move at 216 pounds. He doesn't look that big, which is why I overlooked his weight (probably because he's all muscle).

I still wouldn't want to trade up for him because (1) another WR in the first would be dumb IMO and (2) there are a bunch of good WRs later in the draft. But I'm starting to think Patterson will be better than the credit I've been giving him.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I'm a little higher on Patterson than I was a month ago after thinking about how he moves VS the way some other guys move at 216 pounds. He doesn't look that big, which is why I overlooked his weight (probably because he's all muscle).

I still wouldn't want to trade up for him because (1) another WR in the first would be dumb IMO and (2) there are a bunch of good WRs later in the draft. But I'm starting to think Patterson will be better than the credit I've been giving him.

On behalf of Cordarrelle Patterson we thank you that your opinion of him has increased over these last few months. We know that this was a hard decision for you and he hopes to stay in your high graces. Sincerely,

No One Ever. :laugh3:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
On behalf of Cordarrelle Patterson we thank you that your opinion of him has increased over these last few months. We know that this was a hard decision for you and he hopes to stay in your high graces. Sincerely,

No One Ever. :laugh3:

Well, at least I'm changing my opinion BEFORE the draft instead of revising history like most people do.

Nobody gets it right every time the first time. Or else Ozzie Newsome would have never drafted any busts.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard Sick. I saved you a seat in the back. Haha.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Welcome aboard Sick. I saved you a seat in the back. Haha.

Thanks Ray. I'll be back there with my radio transmitter remotely driving the Aldon Smith, Tank Carradine & Johnathan Hankins bandwagons. :)

And by the way, I prefer to sit in the back on this one because I'm still not convinced Patterson will be a great WR. I just raised his stock to higher than I had it before.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not neither. The mental aspect concerns me. I think he could still be special out of the backfield, returns, and basic WR plays regardless though.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm riding shotgun with you on the Tank.