• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patterson?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Tennessee’s Cordarrelle Patteson

COSELL: I think Patterson will be drafted solely because of his size and because of his dynamic movement. I don’t think he’s anywhere close to being a quality receiver in terms of the subtleties of how to run routes. In fact, he’s much quicker and more dynamic with the ball in his hands as opposed to running routes. Running routes he’s not that dynamic because he doesn’t know how to do it yet. He’ll get drafted high because of the potential. He needs to go to a team with a very good wide receivers coach, and he needs to be taught how to become a receiver.

Q: Would a team use him on bubble screens and quick slants to get him YAC until he learns how to run routes better?

COSELL: Yes. If you draft this kid, you understand what he is and what he isn’t. And then you provide opportunities in the context of your offense to maximize his strengths. If you just lined him up at the X or the Z and said, “Go play,” he’d have a really difficult time. It would be a tough transition. But with the expansion of offensive concepts in the NFL, there’s multiple ways now to use his skills while you’re teaching him the other skills.

Q: I think he has the potential to be able to do everything, it’s just not all put together yet.

COSELL: Correct. He has good hands. He has a wide catching radius. He can make tough catches. What he needs to do is use his speed and movement much more effectively as a route runner, not just with the ball in his hands, and that will take time. We saw what happened last year with Justin Blackmon, this sixth pick in the draft. He didn’t really start to play well until late in the season. We had Michael Floyd – he didn’t start to do much until late in the season, either. Sometimes it takes time.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
On Tennessee’s Cordarrelle Patteson

COSELL: I think Patterson will be drafted solely because of his size and because of his dynamic movement. I don’t think he’s anywhere close to being a quality receiver in terms of the subtleties of how to run routes. In fact, he’s much quicker and more dynamic with the ball in his hands as opposed to running routes. Running routes he’s not that dynamic because he doesn’t know how to do it yet.

:gaah:

From the BS thread:

It bugs me how people constantly use the word "dynamic" to describe players who are very fast. Choose a better word! That's an extremely vague, ambiguous description.

You might as well call him a very "exertive" player. Is it technically accurate? Sure. It's still a terrible choice of word there.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson dropped just 4.2 percent of his intended targets in 2012.
The drop rate compares favorably to Keenan Allen (4.7 percent), Terrance Williams (5.8 percent), and especially Vols teammate Justin Hunter (12.1 percent). Although draftniks have nitpicked Patterson's tendency to "body catch" as opposed to secure passes with his hands, his efficiency wasn't an issue in college. Patterson is expected to be drafted in the 11-27 range this April.
Source: Houston Chronicle Mar 22 - 3:16 AM

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson dropped just 4.2 percent of his intended targets in 2012.
The drop rate compares favorably to Keenan Allen (4.7 percent), Terrance Williams (5.8 percent), and especially Vols teammate Justin Hunter (12.1 percent). Although draftniks have nitpicked Patterson's tendency to "body catch" as opposed to secure passes with his hands, his efficiency wasn't an issue in college. Patterson is expected to be drafted in the 11-27 range this April.
Source: Houston Chronicle Mar 22 - 3:16 AM

4.2% seems to belie one of his oft talked about deficiencies of using a trap or body-catch technique. Not saying that isn't a bad technique because it is but he seems to be very good and comfortable with catching passes that way.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.2% seems to belie one of his oft talked about deficiencies of using a trap or body-catch technique. Not saying that isn't a bad technique because it is but he seems to be very good and comfortable with catching passes that way.

Problem is these "draftniks" watch 5 games at most. The very last thought I had when watching this kid all season was he catches passes with his body. I thought he had great hands.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Problem is these "draftniks" watch 5 games at most. The very last thought I had when watching this kid all season was he catches passes with his body. I thought he had great hands.

:agree:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough Ray ~ It makes sense that draftniks derive their opinions from a limited number of observations, hell, nearly everyone else does. You have said consistently that your concern with this kid is his learning capacity - I'll go with that.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't state strongly enough how the following is a must read:

Draft Winds: A study of Cordarrelle Patterson - southflorida.com

10 pages of everything you need to know.

Havent' gotten through that entire article, but I find the "brain fart" section troubling. Once or twice things like that could be termed a brain fart. But it seems like these sorts of things happen repeatedly. That is definitely a red flag, and I feel this author is a bit too dismissive of those.

Red80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent' gotten through that entire article, but I find the "brain fart" section troubling. Once or twice things like that could be termed a brain fart. But it seems like these sorts of things happen repeatedly. That is definitely a red flag, and I feel this author is a bit too dismissive of those.

Meh that's just over the top the kid has had 1 year of DIV1 football i'll cut him some slack.

Patterson just needs maturing and developing in a pro environment he has elite wideout skills 49ers could coach him up no problem he will be a beast.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Meh that's just over the top the kid has had 1 year of DIV1 football i'll cut him some slack.

Patterson just needs maturing and developing in a pro environment he has elite wideout skills 49ers could coach him up no problem he will be a beast.

I'm certainly not saying you remove him from the board, or anything like that. But I don't think you can just chalk those up as brain farts. It shows a lack of focus and attention to detail, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt as to any more serious concerns. Plenty of NFL players have succeeded with those flaws, but they are still something to take into account.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think in this draft someone's going to take a chance on him very early, unless he has a character risk that we don't know about and falls like dez bryant did. If there were more solid options early he'd slide more. It's typically a crapshoot when you get to the 20's to the 2nd round, but this year it's more like the higher teens and into the 3rd round. If I were a GM I'd be looking at this guy as about the highest crapshoot value around unless he's a complete dodo brain or lockerroom cancer. Someone will buy the lottery ticket early.

Red80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson would have lots of time to mature learn & develop behind Crabtree & Boldin until Harbaugh thinks he's ready.

If Boldin or Crabtree get hurt Patterson is there to help at wideout, with the right coaching on a good team like the 49ers and with Colin Kaepernick throwing the football i have no doubt Patterson has the skills to develop into a #1 or #2 wideout for the 49ers. Boldin could be gone in a year or two and Crabtree may be too expensive to keep if he heads to free agency. Patterson would be ready. 49ers need to draft this kid with all the picks they have trade up. Next year Boldin could be gone and the 49ers won't be able to afford to sign any elite level FA WR's because of their own FA's and the elite WR's in a stronger 2014 draft will be too costly to trade up for.

14 picks in a weak 2013 draft year Cordarrelle Patterson is a solid and logical 1st round trade up prospect target.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
49ers need to draft this kid with all the picks they have trade up.

14 picks in 2013 Cordarrelle Patterson is a solid 1st round trade up prospect target.

That's a terrible draft strategy. It would remind me of 1995 when the Niners traded the pick that ended up being Ray Lewis to move up & take JJ Stokes. Patterson is probably going to go somewhere around 9-14. Let's just say, for arguement's sake, the Niners would have to trade up to 13 to get him. It would take both the 31st pick AND the 34th pick to do that. With those picks, the Niners could draft both Eric Reid and Justin Hunter (who will be a better WR than Patterson anyway) or a bunch of other options.

And besides, the Niners already have 5 WR on the roster, and they just signed another guy whose name I forget. You would really rather have a guy who's going to sit & learn behind Boldin & Crabby than possibly have 2 impact players?

The ONLY players worth trading up that high are Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper or Jarvis Jones. This draft has a TON of talent from the range of about 45-70. The Niners need to trade down, not up. Get an extra first rounder in 2014.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm with Sick. I'm not at all in favor of making an aggressive move up in this draft. This draft is deepest right where we have most of our picks. I'm fine with moving up a few spots to get a targeted player, but not with a big move up in the first. See what value falls to us late and capitalize on that.

Red80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a terrible draft strategy. It would remind me of 1995 when the Niners traded the pick that ended up being Ray Lewis to move up & take JJ Stokes. Patterson is probably going to go somewhere around 9-14. Let's just say, for arguement's sake, the Niners would have to trade up to 13 to get him. It would take both the 31st pick AND the 34th pick to do that. With those picks, the Niners could draft both Eric Reid and Justin Hunter (who will be a better WR than Patterson anyway) or a bunch of other options.

And besides, the Niners already have 5 WR on the roster, and they just signed another guy whose name I forget. You would really rather have a guy who's going to sit & learn behind Boldin & Crabby than possibly have 2 impact players?

The ONLY players worth trading up that high are Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper or Jarvis Jones. This draft has a TON of talent from the range of about 45-70. The Niners need to trade down, not up. Get an extra first rounder in 2014.

My strategy to trade up gets us an elite explosive playmaking WR in Patterson something Justin Hunter ain't. And you want to draft and play a rookie in the secondary hahaha he will get picked on and burned 49ers are trying to get back to the SB. The 49ers havn't had an elite wideout big and fast since TO in 2003.

And you talking like Reid and Hunter are locks to be studs is beyond laughable.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My strategy to trade up gets us an elite explosive playmaking WR in Patterson something Justin Hunter ain't.

How would you define "elite" and "explosive?" Because Hunter is a better athlete than Patterson is. Hunter's athletic ability is almost on par with Julio Jones'. And even coming off a major injury, Hunter was the primary receiver on the same team as Patterson.

And you want to draft and play a rookie in the secondary hahaha he will get picked on and burned 49ers are trying to get back to the SB.

As opposed to Whitner who never got burned? Reid is much better in coverage than Whitner.

This isn't a slight on Patterson. he has a lot of potential. But you're talking about drafting a raw WR who doens't run good routes & is awkward catching the ball from one side of your mouth; and then out of the other side you're saying a safety, a position that develops MUCH fater than WRs, would be a liability even though he's one of the most NFL-ready prospects in the entire draft. Not to mention the fact that he'd be replacing a guy who gave up 8 TD passes last year.