• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats agree with former Saint Smith

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what he costs.

I was just coming here to suggest we go balls to the wall and find a way to free up about 5 more million to trade for Ndamukong Suh. The guys over on the lions board seem to think they're over a barrel enough cap wise (he hits them for 20 mil regardless this year, but if they trade him they avoid a ten million dead money hit next year, and they already are locked into paying 37 mil between Stafford and Johnson) that he wouldn't be too much cost in a trade. I'd give up our 1 if we could gain and extend Suh.

If smith is expensive this crazy long shot is way out in left field though.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following is the contract signed by veteran defensive end Will Smith with the Patriots, per a source:

Length: 1 year
Total value: $920,000
Base salary: $855,000
Roster bonus: $50,000 (if on roster for first game of regular season)
Offseason bonus: $15,000
Salary cap charge: $635,000

ANALYSIS: This deal qualifies for the minimum salary benefit, which is when the salary-cap charge is lower than the base salary. The minimum salary benefit is geared toward helping longtime veterans land jobs (despite making significantly more than rookies) by lowering their salary-cap charge as long as the base salary is at the minimum level and the total in bonuses is $65,000 or lower. This deal also includes an injury split that would lower Smith's salary to $423,000 should he land on a reserve list. As the deal reflects, the Patriots don't assume much risk here.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's it?

He's not bad, especially at basically a minimum contract. I like the move.