• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Blog and Q&A: Poise under pressure: Harbaugh likes Kaepernick's bounce-back ability

Slippery when wet - Harbaugh said that Kaepernick required a little in-game coaching to fix a stream of botched exchanges between the quarterback and center Jonathan Goodwin.

There were five bad snaps on the evening for the 49ers, including four fumbles. One of them came on fourth-and-one situation deep in New England territory, resulting in the 49ers turning the ball over on downs. Kaepernick started using a glove midway through the game and adjusted his technique.

"The ball was hitting and squirting off his hand," Harbaugh said. "He moved his guide hand a little further to the right and his top hand a little further to the right. That helped."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
two ways to beat the Patriots, from Kevin Lynch.

i like both ideas because attacking their weaknesses is the way to go. it starts with proper game planning so if Kevin is right, do it. will 49er fans consider more running contrary to "opening up the offense"?

1. USE THE PISTOL MORE

The first way to beat the Patriots is for the 49ers to use the read option out of the pistol offense often. NFL teams aren’t used to it, but quarterback Colin Kaepernick and rookie running back LaMichael James are. The 49ers used it five or six straight times against the Dolphins and eventually, they got a 50-yard touchdown run out of Kaepernick from the formation.

It involves a fullhouse backfield with three running backs and then Kaepernick deciding whether to handoff, keep it, pass it or even pitch it.

Two plays before Kaepernick scored, James was untouched with a run up the middle, but he tripped over guard Alex Boone’s leg. Without getting tangled, James might have scored.

It’s clear NFL teams don’t know how to defend the pistol, and if the 49ers are challenging the edges of the Pats’ defense, they are running away from Vince Wilfork who’s a force in the middle. Additionally, the 49ers have yet to try many passes out of the formation.

A couple of years ago, the Dolphins used the wildcat with Ronnie Brown against New England, and Miami upset them. Maybe the 49ers can spring the pistol on them and have the same result.

2. MOVE ALDON SMITH INSIDE

On passing downs, the 49ers could take advantage of the Pats’ slow-footed guards. Late in the Dolphins game, Smith moved inside and went right past Miami guard Richie Incognito, and it wasn’t close.

It college at Missouri, Smith got several of his sacks against guards who are not equipped to handle his quickness.

Kevin Lynch was right, use the pistol more. granted, that Wilfork is one tough mutha......

they did move Aldon around, but Brady throws most passes too quickly.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick withstand pressure in outlasting New England Patriots - ESPN

But San Francisco got a gut check. When backup returner LaMichael James lined up deep to return New England's kickoff, all he thought was that his team needed "a boost," and he needed to put them "in a position to score," James said. Then he thought, "Follow Delanie." The Niners' big tight end, Delanie Walker, provided a path up the left sideline, and James raced 62 yards to the New England 38-yard line.

--------------------

All the players believe in each other. There was no crowing after beating the Patriots. There was subdued satisfaction and talk of the "fight" within the players, within the locker room. The 49ers expected to leave Gillette Stadium with a win, and they did, even if it was tougher than maybe it should have been, given the score midway through the third quarter.

---------------------

"I used to live next to a train station in Chicago," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said afterward. "It's like the more you hear the train, the less you hear it. I feel that way with our team in terms of pressure in big games. The more you hear it, the less you hear it. The more you feel it, the less you feel it. So I feel good about that. I feel good about our team in those big-game situations."

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Lynch was right, use the pistol more. granted, that Wilfork is one tough mutha......

they did move Aldon around, but Brady throws most passes too quickly.

Even though he didn't get any sacks, A. Smith made his presence felt in the first three quarters. Brady certainly knew he was there. Losing J Smith really hurt A. SMith though in the 4th quarter.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Branch:

Stunning stat: The #49ers allowed 407 yards and 26 first downs in the second half.

Just horrendous! The margin for error is so slim in the NFL that you just can't take your foot off the gas and relax like they did. Hopefully they learned a lesson yesterday and fortunately is was not an expensive one.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick withstand pressure in outlasting New England Patriots - ESPN

But San Francisco got a gut check. When backup returner LaMichael James lined up deep to return New England's kickoff, all he thought was that his team needed "a boost," and he needed to put them "in a position to score," James said. Then he thought, "Follow Delanie." The Niners' big tight end, Delanie Walker, provided a path up the left sideline, and James raced 62 yards to the New England 38-yard line.

--------------------

All the players believe in each other. There was no crowing after beating the Patriots. There was subdued satisfaction and talk of the "fight" within the players, within the locker room. The 49ers expected to leave Gillette Stadium with a win, and they did, even if it was tougher than maybe it should have been, given the score midway through the third quarter.

---------------------

I should hope not. That was embarrassing.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know why we do that 3 pass rushers crap, it might work once in a while, but we can't play that type of d every down. mcdonald came up huge at the end.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know why we do that 3 pass rushers crap, it might work once in a while, but we can't play that type of d every down. mcdonald came up huge at the end.

It infuriates me! Its like giving the game away. Everyone , even Jim Harvbaugh, knows that the only way to beat Brady is to get in his face. Its like he forgets what got him there in the middle of a game. Its stupifying.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though he didn't get any sacks, A. Smith made his presence felt in the first three quarters. Brady certainly knew he was there. Losing J Smith really hurt A. SMith though in the 4th quarter.

Aldon was a fraction of a second away from a sack FF. I still can't believe fucking Brady. Insanely quick release on that play. Bastard.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/..._campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read)

This link contains the transcripts from Wilfork, Gregory, Mayo, Welker, McCourty, Lloyd, Mankins, Talib, Ridley, Ninkovich, Bowman, Rogers, V. Davis, Gore, Staley, Goldson, and L. James.

Stevan Ridley, Running Back

(On the turnovers)

“No one is harder on myself than me. Nobody is more upset when I fumble than Stevan is. For me I just have to keep working. There is lot of football left to be played. You can’t look back and that’s something we haven’t down all year, wins or losses. We have moved forward. So for me that is just what I have to continue to do. But I have to do better. I have to do better in game situations holding onto the football. We can’t have mistakes like that.”

He actually referred to himself in the third person? Wow.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stevan Ridley, Running Back

(On the turnovers)

“No one is harder on myself than me. Nobody is more upset when I fumble than Stevan is. For me I just have to keep working. There is lot of football left to be played. You can’t look back and that’s something we haven’t down all year, wins or losses. We have moved forward. So for me that is just what I have to continue to do. But I have to do better. I have to do better in game situations holding onto the football. We can’t have mistakes like that.”

He actually referred to himself in the third person? Wow.

Maybe he's a Seinfeld fan.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/..._campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read)

This link contains the transcripts from Wilfork, Gregory, Mayo, Welker, McCourty, Lloyd, Mankins, Talib, Ridley, Ninkovich, Bowman, Rogers, V. Davis, Gore, Staley, Goldson, and L. James.

Dashon Goldson, Safety

(On the fake punt)

“They showed us that side of the football field and the coach put it in my hands and made the call. I just took advantage of it. We ran it some in practice and I took a look and saw the look that I had seen in practice and took it and it worked. I was hoping they would show us that look so we could run it and they did. When we called it then it came out successful.”